Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create CD for HTML Help File

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2008 Jan 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two Questions:

Can someone tell me which files/folders I need to distribute with my .chm file for my HTML Help? When I create my CD, I am only burning the .chm file and it is not working.

Should I make a CD or should I Zip the files first; or does it make a difference?

Thanks.

kt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 23, 2008 Jan 23, 2008
Hi kt

The attached code should be copied and pasted into an instance of Notepad. After you do this, change your .CHM file name and save the file as autorun.inf. Then make sure you include the autorun.inf file on the CD.

Note: Make sure your .CHM filename is only 8 characters long. For example, don't use My Wonderful CHM.CHM. Instead, use something like WondrCHM.CHM. (Longer filenames often prevent autorun from working correctly)

Hope this helps a tad... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kt

I regularly burn .CHM files to CD and they work dandy. Especially if you include an autorun that starts them up after you distribute.

How exactly is it "not working". Sorry, it's a bit like going to the doctor and advising you simply don't feel well.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I burn the .chm file on the CD, it only opens the main window. When I test the CD by clicking on the .chm file, the left pane information (which is all of my topics) does not display. I am only putting the .chm file on the CD. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I know I am not including an autorun... how exactly do I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kt

The attached code should be copied and pasted into an instance of Notepad. After you do this, change your .CHM file name and save the file as autorun.inf. Then make sure you include the autorun.inf file on the CD.

Note: Make sure your .CHM filename is only 8 characters long. For example, don't use My Wonderful CHM.CHM. Instead, use something like WondrCHM.CHM. (Longer filenames often prevent autorun from working correctly)

Hope this helps a tad... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kt,

You had this problem earlier as I recall. There is no reason you can't open a CHM file from a CD. You will need to do a comparison of the file on CD and the one on your hard drive. There are programs available to compare two files but if that isn't immediately available answer the following questions. Are they the same? Are they the same size? Can you copy from the CD to the hard drive? Does it work then?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2008 Jan 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I Love You Rick! This worked. Thank you. kt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question: When you open the same chm file on your local hard drive (and I do hope that is where the project is, and where you are generating the chm), do you get the same result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp