5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 12:10 AM by Joe_Funkel

DW File Upload

Joe_Funkel Level 1

hello,

i wonder if theres a way to upload files( pictures for example ) to an FTP Site directly in Dreamweaver without using an external FTP-Tool.

Maybe theres a simple way i didnt see till now or theres an extention or plugin fpr DW?

Thx alot!

Joe

• 1. Re: DW File Upload
          David_Powers Adobe Community Professional
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DW File Upload
            Joe_Funkel Level 1

thank you for your answer. But i think i need to give you some more information.

First of all > im working with dreamweaver for a few weeks now. Im on Mac and till now used Textmate and Cyberduck.

Im working most of the time on CMS based projects wich i edit directly on the server.

I create new Sites like this:

Manage Sites > NEW > FTP & RDS Server > ENTER DATA > OK

So I dont have any files stored locally. Developing CMS locally would be a pain in the a** becouse i would have to import the database tables every time i need a uptodate version and i guess the Designview etc. wouldnt work anyways?. This is why i prefer to edit the files directly on the server.

Looks like i could use a simple Texteditor in Combination with an FTP Tool aswell. No need for Dreamweaver in CMS developing or is there a major mistake in my way of handling this??

Back to my initial question... is there a way of uploading Files without syncing the local DIR to the remote DIR

Thx alot!!

Joe

• 3. Re: DW File Upload
              Joe_Funkel Level 1

Any Idea?

thx Joe

• 4. Re: DW File Upload
                David_Powers Adobe Community Professional

Joe_Funkel wrote:

I create new Sites like this:

Manage Sites > NEW > FTP & RDS Server > ENTER DATA > OK

So I dont have any files stored locally. Developing CMS locally would be a pain in the a** becouse i would have to import the database tables every time i need a uptodate version and i guess the Designview etc. wouldnt work anyways?. This is why i prefer to edit the files directly on the server.

Generally speaking, editing files directly on the server is not a good idea. Even experienced programmers make mistakes, so you constantly run the risk of breaking your live CMS. It not only looks unprofessional. but it can expose you to malicious attacks because the errors are likely to reveal information useful to a hacker.

However, if that's the way you choose to work, it's up to you. But without a local site structure, Dreamweaver cannot upload images. You will still need to use a third-party FTP program. To my mind, the security and convenience of developing and testing locally is not a burden.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DW File Upload
                  Joe_Funkel Level 1

Thank you David for your answer.

Your right. Debuging in an live enviroment isnt an option. But isnt it dangerouse to work with dreamweaver on an CMS-based project too? I mean if im working on a file locally and hit the Put button.. all Changes on the live-Server made trouhg users since the last Upload will be overridden. Maybe someone deleted a photo or smthn. I would be happy to use DW for CMS-projects too, because I spent a lot of money on the suit an working with it is fun. Maybe you (or any other reader) could light me the way to DW driven CMS.

Thank you

Joe