Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking Projects in Captivate 3

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2008 Jan 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
We have just completed a big project linking 31 Captivates to a central flow chart. The idea is that staff will click on a button in the flow chart and be taken to the relevant piece of training. It works perfectly in situ. However when we burn it to CD, the links drop out.

It seems to be a problem with absolute and relative file paths. However, when we publish to .swf files, a new folder is created for every project, so therefore we can't house all captivate projects in one folder unless we do it manually. They all have a .js file with the same name - therefore we are worried that they will not copy across properly or that each .js file is needed and they can't be replaced.

We also have different documents linked to the projects.

We tried to move every project to a top level folder in Explorer and relinked all the files, but the result was the same.

Is there a workaround to this. We have one week left before this needs to work.

Thanks a lot,
TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2008 Jan 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gettingitright

We have just completed a big project linking 31 Captivates to a central flow chart. The idea is that staff will click on a button in the flow chart and be taken to the relevant piece of training. It works perfectly in situ. However when we burn it to CD, the links drop out.

How are you creating the links? Open URL or File or Open Other Project? You should be using "Open Other Project". Don't sweat the fact you browse to the .CP file of the other project. Captivate sorts that.

It seems to be a problem with absolute and relative file paths. However, when we publish to .swf files, a new folder is created for every project, so therefore we can't house all captivate projects in one folder unless we do it manually. They all have a .js file with the same name - therefore we are worried that they will not copy across properly or that each .js file is needed and they can't be replaced.

The standard.js file is identical. Only one copy will exist and be used.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2008 Jan 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

A bit of lateral thinking fixed it. We just maintained the file names and deleted the network paths. Saving it like that then made the references absolute rather than relative and hey presto it worked. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2008 Jan 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Assuming you want to live up to your forum nickname , you need to reverse what you think because you have it backwards.

Something with a network path in it is an absolute link, while something that only lists the file name is a relative link. An absolute link says I expect to find the referenced file in (network path or hard drive path - example is N:\SomeServer\SomeShare or C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\My Projects). A relative path quite often simply lists the filename, as in SomeFile.SWF, meaning as long as SomeFile.SWF exists in the same location relative to where the Captivate file is, I'm good.

Make sense? I hope so... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2008 Feb 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm being told I need to expoert the htm and swf files when I publish the 1st of 4 linked shows. Then the linked shows don't play the next show in the sequence. SHould I keep the same directory structure that Captivate creates or build them all in one folder on the web?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2008 Feb 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi xedsternrnx and welcome to our community

I'm assuming you have read this thread you replied to and still have issues or questions?

I'm a bit confused by your mention of I'm being told I need to expoert the htm and swf files when I publish the 1st of 4 linked shows. Does this mean to imply that only the first of the four shows exists as a .SWF/.HTM file pair and the other three are possibly .EXE? Or does it instead mean that you have only published that one and expecting things to work when you test?

Normally what you do is to create each project that will be linked, then edit each one to call the next (forging the links, if you will). Once you do that, you do normally have to ensure all the output files are inside a single folder. They don't absolutely have to be, of course. It's just that things are much easier to sort if they are. Also note that each of the output file sets will contain a file named standard.js. Don't let that fool you. It's the same file and if you copy all output files to a single folder, you will be prompted that it exists. Don't worry about causing issues by allowing Windows to overwrite the file. Only one shoud (and will) exist inside the folder when you are finished.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources