• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to implement a breadcrumb turnaround for RoboHelp7 HTML?

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2010 Feb 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have a unique situation on my hands.  I would like to implement breadcrumb functionality for RoboHelp7 HTML Help.  I am aware of the following items (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of this):

• Breadcrumbs can be automatically populated using RoboHelp7 WebHelp;
  • Breadcrumb functionality is available for RoboHelp 8, for both WebHelp and HTML Help

Despite my pleas, our company is not yet able to upgrade to RoboHelp8, so I've been hard at work developing a JavaScript file that creates a breadcrumb trail (certainly open to error as this is not an automatic process).  It's gotten to be an exhaustive process, as I'm trying to extract the Help system name (not topic name) for the script.

So my question is this: is there an easier way to implement breadcrumb functionality for RoboHelp7's HTML Help, or is this the best I can do?

Any help or referral is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sick of Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2010 Feb 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will not have access to a RH7 machine for a few days but I'm pretty sure breadcrumbs worked just fine in CHMs from RH7. Nothing changed in RH8 and they work there.

Have you tried in one of the RH7 sample projects?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I thought breadcrumbs only worked for WebHelp in RoboHelp7? Am I

missing something? How would you do it, then? I know for WebHelp there's a

checkbox but no luck for CHM generation.

How would I access a sample project? Forgive my ignorance.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a checkbox for RH8 but, like I said I don't have access to RH7 right now.

Drill down from Program Files to RoboHelp and look for a Samples folder.

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have RoboHelp 7 and Breadcrumbs aren't offered there as a feature for CHM ouptut. Sorry.

Anything you do will most certainly involve some custom coding or manual input.

I suppose one possibility would involve creating a few templates. You would need one for each book path in your project. Then build a breadcrumb trail leading to the book. Apply the template to the appropriate topics.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick

Thanks for saving me having to replumb the RH7 machine. Going back to the original post, I guess this is the argument needed for upgrading to RH8.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the reassurance.  Sadly, that sales point is not sticking yet.

Right now, I just implement an external function that reaches across all books.  Would it be more worthwhile to apply a template to each book.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll pass on whether that would help and leave it to my good old friend Trial and Error.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp