Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot insert button

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2010 Feb 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I use Adobe Captivate 4 and I have created a quiz using 3 different pools of questions (T/F questions, multiple choice questions etc). I want to add a button on each question slide called "Help" in order to open a URL when it is clicked. So I follow the path Insert>Standard Objects>Button.. but the "Button" option is inactive! What am I doing wrong? Is there another way to do that? I am really sorry if this topic already exists but I didn't find it somewhere...

Thank you a lot in advance,

Nicoleta

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

As you have seen, you are not able to insert a Button object on a question slide.

One way to accomplish what you are looking to do would be to create a small Flash gizmo to open the web site. You might be able to accomplish it by creating a small (100px X 100px) Captivate with only a Click Box that is programmed to open the Web page when clicked. Publish that as a SWF with no playback controls. Then on your Question Slides, click Insert > Animation and pull in the SWF.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the advice, I'll try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... the button works fine when I preview my project (Preview>Project) from Captivate but when I publish it and watch the .htm file the button doesn't work. I can see it, I can click on it but it doesn't open the URL...any ideas? Thanks a lot again..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

See if the link below sheds any light for you.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem might be a security setting on the web that is blocking the SWF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the problem jay but despite the fact that I added the required exceptions it still doesn't open the URL.

Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

It's possible that even though you tried to add the exceptions it is still blocking.

Where exactly are you running things when you test? Local PC? If so, are you able to upload and test from a Web Server?

I ask because the Flash Security only blocks you if you are running locally. Often you have better results when testing from a web server.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! I test it locally indeed...but I'm gonna test

it on a web server soon...that might work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a tangent question for you Rick. If you're on a pc and you have installed the local IIS then can you use localhost for testing or will it still block it?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike

Interesting question! I've never tried that. Maybe it will work. I do know that if you use something like "Server2Go", it works. So the LocalHost thing may have merit.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've done it using Visual Studio development server and I've done it with an XP OS installed on a Virtual PC. I've also used in on a Win 2003 server using localhost... so XP with IIS and using localhost should work just as if it were run from the web.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources