• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with html on copyright page

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2010 Feb 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if anyone had the time to take a look at the source code on my copyright page. I have been using this page for years, and adjusting it when the need arises. I recently made some changes and, when I generate the project in RH6, I get an error message saying a Runtime Error has occurred.

I've played with the code all day today, to no avail. Perhaps I should call support? I'm not sure how to proceed. . .

Regards,

Sharon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure the two are linked?

Have you checked with another project?

If you have, then exclude this page with a conditional tag and see if it still errors.

Finally import that page into a brand new project and see if that errors.

Post back the results and we'll take it from there.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error just appears when that page loads; no other page is impacted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your project only or if you import that topic into a new project?

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Was there a zip I missed or something? You are asking us to look at what? I'm not seeing anything to look at.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Sharon was being courteous and asking if someone would look if she posted it, rather than posting and assuming someone would look.

She has since contacted me to say she will do some more testing along the lines I suggested.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter; that was my thinking. Appreciate your explanation.

I did import the copyright page into another project, and it behaves the same way. All other functionality is working. I am now attaching the file (since Rick asked. lol).

Regards,

Sharon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2010 Feb 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Apart from the file being an output file, on line 129, you have a second doctype declaration: <!doctype HTML public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">. Try removing that.

Browsers will normally forgive you, but I can imagine that RH has a problem with it.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the problem file is from the source, the fact that the source has an output file in it would likely cause this problem. Was the page imported from the output of another project instead of from the source?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to answer this to the best of my abilities.

First of all, I did import the source file, not the output file, into another project, though I repeated that exercise again to be sure that is what I had in fact done. With that clarified, I proceeded to take out the text as recommended by Willam. I did begin to realize that all my source files have this code.

After generating, I viewed the output files in both Firefox and IE6. In Firefox, I had no problems; In IE, the error remained. I decided to debug in IE, and (not being a programmer), I can only surmise that my results were that something was wrong with IE! I upgraded to IE8, and all went swimmingly from then on.

If someone can explain this more clearly, that would be terrific. . .in the meantime, thank you all for your help, as always.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Regards,

Sharon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2010 Feb 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, I also tested the page and various links in IE 6 on someone else's system, and all seemed fine.

Willam, can you elaborate on why that code is troublesome? As I mentioned, I have it throughout the system. Should I delete it throughout, in your opinion?

I wonder, for completeness, whether there are other ways to ensure this will work correctly in production.

Regards,

Sharon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The doctype declaration is obligatory. It tells the browser what kind of webpage it is rendering (HTML4.01 / XHTML 1.01 etc). This also tells the browser how to render that page. If you use the strict doctype for HTML, even IE will try to render the page standards compliant.

The doctype declaration has to be the first code in any topic when you use HTML (RoboHelp 7 and before), or directly follow the XML declaration (RoboHelp 8). If there is more than one doctype declaration, your topic is malformed HTML. This should normally be no big deal, since many browsers are quite forgiving. See also: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_DOCTYPE.asp

As the problem was in IE, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do come across a second (or later) doctype declaration, it's best to delete it. It's not a very big deal, but if you are having trouble with a topic, it might be the cause of all your troubles.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, William.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp