Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error and crash upon saving

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2010 Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am experiencing an issue very similar to the one described in (http://forums.adobe.com/message/243559#243559). I have several RH projects that have started crashing/closing when I save changes. The projects are all several years old, of varying sizes (15-200 topics), and were converted when I upgraded to RH 8 last fall. Initially, I had some trouble with the conversions, but attributed it to working with a trial version of the software while waiting for the company purchase of the full license. After receiving the license code and installing the available patches, the projects seemed to function fine for close to a month before this started happening.

Other information:

·        I am using: Windows XP Professional SP3, Intel T2500 @ 2.00GHz, 2.00 GB RAM, RH 8.0.2.208. (RH HTML)

·        I archive files on a network drive, but work on all projects on a local drive.

·        The projects are not under source control.

·        I do not have this issue when working with the RH CCC sample project.

I tried deleting the .cpd file before opening the project. The project still crashes upon changing and saving any topic.

I created a new project and imported some topic files. The project worked fine until I closed and re-opened it. Then, the project returns to crashing upon saving. I tried this several times with exactly the same result.

I don’t understand how this is related, but the only success I’ve had is deleting a line of HTML from the topics that references a javascript. If I remove the following line from a topic (save and crash the project) and then re-open the project (the change removing the line of code does save), I can then successfully save changes in that topic without crashing RH.

<script language="javascript" src="writetitle.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

I have been able to repeat these results with multiple topics. If I put the line back in, the project crashes upon saving – take it back out and I can save changes to that topic again. I can close and re-open the project and it performs the same.

The code is used in conjunction with a master template that contains a feedback form. The project crashes upon saving whether or not the topic is not using that template.

I hate to simply remove this line of code since I don’t really understand how or if that is fixing the problem and because that is what lets me know which topic any feedback is pertaining to. Thanks for any help.

TNSdoc2

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might help to look at http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/using_rh8.htm  #21 30- Dec - 2009. I'm trying to figure out a similar issue, though not identical. If you resolve your issue, please explain how in a follow up post.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

glennito,

Thanks for your idea. I read through the article you suggested and it does sound like a very similar issue. However, the small project I'm troubleshooting doesn't have an index.

Here is the fix I've come up with today... I went through the topics and the master page and replaced any lines of code that referenced javascript {deleting the original line, saving (crashing), and then re-opening the project and putting the code back in}. I can't think of any logical reason why this should work, but the project has been stable for close to an hour now and I've been able to make and save several content changes and open/close it. The real test will be to see if the "fix" continues working and if it also works on my larger projects.

Good luck with your own issue - I hope you find a resolution.

http://forums.adobe.com/people/glennito

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know javascript from HTML. Here is what has worked for me. I open the Broken Links dialog. I open a listed topic using the Edit button. I find and fix the broken link. I save the topic. RH8 crashes. I jump to my open RoboSource screen and check in the topic that just crashed. When I reopen the RH8 project, the link generally shows as fixed and I can move on to the next.

In the event the check in function failed, RH8 displays a dialog asking whether I want to leave or replace the local topic from RoboSource. I have found that using the Merge button has resolved the issue so that the project remains active and the link is repaired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp