Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow Response with Save

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2010 Jan 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RH 8.0.2.208.

I have searched the forum and other sources of help with no luck.

When I save my project after making changes, the save (response) is VERY, VERY slow. It can take as long as 15 seconds or longer to complete the save. This is especially true when inserting/changing a screen capture.

This is, to say the least, aggravating, because I save my work frequently.

Can someone point me to a forum discussion that provides a fix for this problem? Is there a fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is the project's cpd file. It maybe worth renaming it and reopening the project to see if this makes a difference.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

Thanks for your response.

The CPD was 1 MB.

I renamed the file, opened the project, and the file size changed to 744 KB; however, that did not solve my problem.

Do you have any other thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2010 Jan 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On possibility could be antivirus software. We had a problem several versions ago with RH and VSS being very slow. I'm not sure of the exact changes our techs made, but our antivirus now only scans outgoing files rather than incoming and outgoing. It's possible you could set exceptions on the RH application and project folders only rather than for your whole system.

Anyway, it might be worth disabling antivirus temporarily to see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2010 Feb 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amebr,

Thanks for the reply.

Finally had an opportunity to test your suggestion regarding antivirus software. Unfortunately, the change did not work.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2010 Feb 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC? Do you have access to RH on another one? What happens there?

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2010 Feb 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

Thanks for your reply.

It took some time to test your theory on another PC.

The problem is the same on the second PC.

I tested a new project. The problem doesn't present in the one topic, bare bones project.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cal

Where is your project? Is it on your local C drive or is it on a network location?

If the answer to that is "Silly man, it's on a network location. After all, it HAS to be backed up. DUH!". That's your issue right there. Projects don't work well when you edit them while they are on a network location. Often other problems will ensue as well, so slow saving isn't the only issue you are likely to see.

If this is the case, close the project and copy it to your local C drive. Perhaps create a folder named "Projects" right off the root (C:\Projects) and create a folder for each project within the Projects folder.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply.

The project is on my local hard drive, not on a network. I went down the network road a couple of years ago and had to turn around because of all the dangers.

I wonder if Adobe will ever improve RH so that you can work on a network drive. Hmmmm!

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2010 Feb 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Cal.

To be honest it is more Microsoft's issue as the problem is that RoboHelp uses the .CPD file which is in fact an Access database. It needs Microsoft to allow them to work on a network drive or Adobe to fundamentally rewrite the RoboHelp application architecture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp