Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search for Synonyms does not work

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2010 Jan 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I work with RH8 (8.0.2.208) on Windows Vista Business, SP2.

I am desperately trying to work with synonyms, but it just won't work. Here is what I do: I click 'File / Project Settings', then click on the button 'Advanced' and choose the Synonyms-Tab. After that, I type words (i.e. 'Rezept') and their synonyms (i.e. 'Medikation'), save it, and that's it. Now, I create a new HTML-Help (.chm) and try searching for those synonyms, but they are not shown. Both above mentioned words do exist in the help, but only one of them is being highlighted, and that's always the one I am searching for, but not the synonym. Why?

I have posted a support request with the official Adobe support by end of August 2009 about this, and finally got an answer a few days ago (took them only more than 4 months!). Now, they suggested that I should go to the folder 'RoboHTML' and delete the subfolder '8.0' there. So, I closed RH8, deleted this folder, opened RH8 again, created new synonyms, created the chm-file, searched for the same terme in the help and ... it still did not work!

Am I missing something here? I checked the RH manual several times over this, and from what I read there, it should work the way I tried it. Btw: I also created WebHelp, and it did not work there, too.

I am really confused about this, and I did not find any other threads here covering my problem ... you are my last hope ... can you help?

Your support is much appreciated.

Regards,

Kurt.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried entering the word and the synonym the other way around? It is a bit misleading.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have, and actually I have even tried entering the word and the synonym both ways at the same time ... and it did not work ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like they are a webhelp or flashhelp option only. I just tested and they work fine there but not in a CHM, same project.

It would be helpful if you located the Help topic for synonyms and added a comment in Community Help warning other users of this. That will also get the help amended.

I suspect this is not a bug but a limitation of the Microsoft Help Compiler, hence the feature working in other help formats.

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

thanks for your quick response. Anyway, I also tried WebHelp, and it did not work there, either. But as it seems to work with you, maybe it is ME who's messing up something ...

In the PDF version of the RH8 Manual, I did not find any hints suggesting that this was not available for HTML Help. However, if you care to look at the attachment (sorry, but it's in German), there is a remark about another feature that does not seem to be available for HTML Help (but the search for synonyms, which is exactly below that feature, does not mention anything!).

And why did the Adobe support not mention this to me? I mean, they should know, shouldn't they?

I'd rather not close this thread yet; maybe somebody else has got a hint for me ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The next step is to try with one of the supplied sample projects or a new project. Does it work there?

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I asked for support from Adobe, I produced a brand new project for them, containing 4 topics. I opened this project now and created both HTML-Help and WebHelp. And in both of them, the search for synonyms does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my contact page and send me that project. If it then works for me, it will point to this being an installation issue.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. But ... ehm ... which file(s) exactly do you need? I don't suppose it's enough if

I just send you the xpj-file, is it?

Btw: I have also tested both the example projects that came with RH ... and it did not work (neither in HTML-Help, nor in WebHelp nor in FlashHelp).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need the whole project zipped. If it was only a demo set up for Adobe, it should not be large.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2010 Jan 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same problem with your project but when I imported the topics into a new project with Swiss German as the language, it worked fine.

I believe you have the problem in your original project and this demo. Please import again into a brand new project to confirm you still have a problem.

I will look this evening to see if I can find what is different between your original and my new project.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2010 Jan 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe confirmed to me that synonyms are held in two .syn files, one in the root of your project and one in the !Language! folder. I compare those with my project created from your topics and there is nothing wrong there.

I then tried deleting the CPD and PSS files. No logic in that but solutions are not always logical. No change. My project works, yours does not, same topics.

I'll wait until you have tested a new project as per my earlier post. If there is no change at your end, I will send you my project to see if it continues to work there.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

Thanks a lot for your help (and sorry for not having answered quicker, but my boss gave me a more urgent task last week...).

Anyway, I did what you suggested (re-importing into a brand new project), and then the search for synonyms really worked! But, being a sceptical person, I did the same with another project, and with that one, it did not work. So, what I did next was compare all the settings of these two projects, and I found a difference.

RH8 now contains a function that's called 'Teilzeichenfolgensuche' (I don't know the English expression, but have a look at the attached picture: this is a screen shot from the second page when I generate WebHelp). After having done several tests, I came to the following conclusions:

• Search for synonyms does not work in HTML-Help, but it does work in WebHelp (and maybe others, but they are not relevant for me, so I did not test them);
  • Search for synonyms does only work, when the function 'Teilzeichenfolgensuche' is NOT activated.

Could maybe somebody test this, too, and post here whether my conclusions are really correct?

Btw: This fact is not mentioned in the RH-Manual; actually, this function 'Teilzeichenfolgensuche' is not even mentioned there (at least not in the German edition)!!!

Can hardly wait to see your feedback; thanks again for everybody's support!

Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The check box to which you refer is Enable Sub String Search. It should not affect this issue but I will test it later. May not be today though, sorry.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2010 Feb 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested and synonyms works for me without that check box ticked.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2010 Feb 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and with it ticked.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2010 Feb 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again!

Thanks for your replies, Peter. I did several more tests this morning, and added some more words to the synonym list, and then, all of a sudden, synonyms were being found and highlighted (even if the option 'Enable Sub String Search' is activated)!!

But: not all the synonyms worked, though, so I did some more tests and found out something really strange: it seems that the search for synonyms only works, when they are written in the synonym list in small (lower-case) letters!! For example: I had the word 'Datei' (= file) and the synonym 'Dokument' (= document; and vice versa) in the list, but when I search for 'Dokument' in the WebHelp, I only got the words containing 'Dokument' as hits. But when I replaced those words by 'datei' and 'dokument' and then searched for 'Dokument' in the WebHelp, all the words containing 'Dokument' AND 'Datei' were being highlighted!! Now, this is really amazing, and, if anybody can confirm this, I think I should file a bug report, don't you?

Thanks again for your answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.

redrabbit = works whether you enter redrabbit or Redrabbit

Bluerabbit = does not work whatever you enter.

Good catch.

Please follow this link to report a bug or request a feature.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

You could also use Community Help and add a comment to the relevant help topic that will help others.

@petergrainge

Message was edited by: Peter Grainge to correct case of Bluerabbit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, after reading your latest post, I am under the impression that this "search for synonyms" is getting more and more complicated ...

Thanks for the link; I just reported a bug. As for me, this matter is closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Complicated?

Surely it is as simple as enter all synonyms in lower case. Then it doesn't matter how they are searched for. Did you read the post or the email as I amended the post but it doesn't send another email.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Peter, when I wrote 'complicated', I referred to the fact that you had stated about 'redrabbit' and 'bluerabbit' (and that the latter did not work, whatever you entered).

For me it's clear that I'll write all the synonyms in lower case, and it's good to know that I can have the 'Sub String Search' enabled anyway!

Best regards,

Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp