4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2010 5:48 PM by koa@juno.com

Frame Blending always on when exporting to MPEG2 with Premiere 4.2.1

animation_nerd3 Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone confirm that when exporting to MPEG-2 DVD that Frame Blending seems to always be present even if you disable it on the timeline with Premiere 4.2.1.   I know that sometime before the 4.2.1 update that this was not the case.

The problem is not present when exporting to other formats, like H.264.

Note:  I am going from a 24fps Desktop timeline -> MPEG2

Can someone confirm this, please?

• 1. Re: Frame Blending always on when exporting to MPEG2 with Premiere 4.2.1
          Colin Brougham Level 6

When you change frame rates, as you're doing--going from 24fps to 29.97fps--the frames have to come from somewhere. That's where interpolation (AKA frame blending) comes in. You might also be complicating things if you're going from progressive scan to interlaced scanning.

Unfortunately, 4.2.x seems to have a real problem with this. For example, I prefer to do my web exports to even frame rates--24.000fps from 23.976fps source, or 30.000fps from 29.97fps source--and PPro/AME always seems to blend frames, no matter what I do. It should do just a 1:1 transfer of the frames, but instead results in blended frames that just don't look good. So far, I've not found a way to correct this, so I do a lot of exporting from alternate applications now--a real workflow pain.

• 2. Re: Frame Blending always on when exporting to MPEG2 with Premiere 4.2.1
            animation_nerd3 Level 1

Colin:  So was this introduced before 4.2.1?  I'd like to know which version to revert to to avoid this problem.

I'm not actually goign from 24fps to 29.97fps, but from 24fps to 23.976.   I've tried a range of settings/frame rates, but with mpeg2 specifically, I have forced frame blending.

From what I understand, my settings should not introduce frame blending.

Here are my sequence settings:

Desktop

24fps

1280 x 720

Square Pixel

No fields (progressive scan)

Outputting to:

Mpeg2-dvd

Widescreen

No fields (progressive scan)

Interpolation does not necessarily involve frame blending...It should simply duplicate frames....

• 3. Re: Frame Blending always on when exporting to MPEG2 with Premiere 4.2.1
              animation_nerd3 Level 1

UPDATE:

I can confirm that this occurs with 4.2.x.   It doesn't happen on 4.1.0.

If the output frame rate does not match the input frame rate, then frame blending is forced.

Because MPEG-2 DVD is the only format that I use where I'm forced to change the output frame rate, I thought it was restricted to MPEG-2 (Desktop 24fps -> 23.976) -  but it occurs on all output formats that I've tested (including still images).

Here's to hoping Adobe patches this bug.

• 4. Re: Frame Blending always on when exporting to MPEG2 with Premiere 4.2.1
                koa@juno.com Level 1

I've also run into this same issue exporting through Media Encoder to a destination for import to Encore at a later date. I found that if I drop it into Encore (mpeg-2 DVD setting) directly from PP there's no blending problem, even with mixed frame rates and formats, ex: 1080p 30fps and 720p 24fps overcranked to 60fps dropped into Encore worked flawlessly. (720p clips frame sized in "clip" drop down menu) Very frustrated with Media Encoder though...