• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to draw a Normal (bell-shaped) distribution curve?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2010 Feb 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a search for this and nothing came up, so apologies if it's been asked before.

How does one draw the bell-shaped or Normal distribution curve used that's widely in statistics?

Tony

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 10, 2010 Feb 10, 2010

Three curve points with the pen tool should do it. To draw a curve point, click-and-drag then release. Repeat and the next point will be joined to the first. Repeat again for the third point.

Screen shot 2010-02-10 at 3.38.02 PM.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and it needs to be mathematically accurate?

-JM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't need to be mathematically dead-on accurate. Just a vector graphic that looks like a bell curve for teaching purposes.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just draw half of it with the pen tool and mirror for the other half, so it is perfectly symmetrical. Then you could join (smooth) the two topmost points to form the apex. See my attached example.

-JM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use mine and adjust the curve to your liking if you want to.

-JM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I used yours - will work on my own when I'm not crunched for time - : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three curve points with the pen tool should do it. To draw a curve point, click-and-drag then release. Repeat and the next point will be joined to the first. Repeat again for the third point.

Screen shot 2010-02-10 at 3.38.02 PM.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for all the help. This is just what I needed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2010 Feb 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, Tony, as implied by the answer James gave, and depending on the teaching purposes, no offence intended, if you wish a close resemblance it is more easily obtained with an actual curve to trace with the Pen Tool; in different cases, the triple ClickDragging is especially suited for an asymmetric shape, whereas a double ClickDragging followed by a reflexion is especially suited for a symmetric shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2010 Feb 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, everyone for the help! I've got it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2010 Feb 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for teaching purposes

Tony,

Just FYI: Deneba Canvas (a drawing program in the same category as Illustrator) has a feature for generating curves by formulae.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another method is to use the Line Tool and then Effects|ZigZag Tool.

Now use the Rotate option to invert the shape.

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 17.25.40.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines