Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems for non-Nvidia users?

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2010 Jan 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Elements 8 users,

If you're experiencing frequent crashes or freezes in Premiere Elements 8, and you're NOT using an Nvidia graphics card, then we need to know about it. Please post a reply to this thread specifically if you do not have an Nvidia card. We are trying to gauge whether there are other crash issues in PRE8 that are not related to the driver issues mentioned in the announcement at the top of the forum.

Best regards,

Chad

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 108 Replies 108
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chad,

Thanks for your contined help.  I am having continuous and repeated crashes on an ATI card.

Some of my crash codes and my full specs are here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/523035?tstart=0

Thanks again.

Glenn Atkins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a small project with a few standard def avi files and some still jpgs. When I click on Window-->Transitions, PrE 8 crashes every time and I get the dialog box to send an error report to Adobe. This is under Windows 7 64-bit. I just upgraded but had the EXACT same problem running PrE 7 under Vista 64-bit.  Also previously using PrE7 under Vista 64-bit there were numerous random crashes but either they were not repeatable, or there were ways around them.  Always it would just say the program encountered an error and had to close, or something like that.  No useful informaton.  I have not worked with Pre8 long enoough to report more errors beyond the one above.  I have an ATI card, not a Nvdia.

My specs are PrE 8, Windows 7 64-bit, 6 GB RAM, about 500 GB free HD space, Intel core i7-920 at 2.66GHz, 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2010 Jan 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had a less than auspicious start a few weeks ago with my first PrE 8 project - it stalled several times, froze up completely a few times and was dreadfully sluggish throughout the project and then took 10+ hours to render six minutes of standard definition video.

Just tried to fire it up for another try and I've hung at the Welcome screen, "gethering user info"... no way out but to kill it in taskmanager.

I have a Core2Quad 2.5GHz CPU, 8.00GB of ram, over 2TB of free space (over 50Gb of SSD on my system drive, and almost 2TB of 3 stripe raid 0), a 512MB Radeon HD4870 card with certainly very recent if not the absolute latest driver, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, the crashes as well as other performance issues in Premiere Elements 8 appear to be related to its integration with the new, full-featured Organizer.

To test this, I created a new Organizer catalog and deleted everything from it. With nothing in the Organizer, Premiere Elements opens faster and performs much peppier. (I'm talking about the Organizer program, not the Organize panel in Premiere Elements.)

In fact, the Organizer also seems to be dogging Photoshop Elements 8.

If there is some way to disconnect the Organizer from Premiere Elements, I'd suspect it will solve a multitude of problems and performance issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chad,

I am using Premiere Elements 7 since about 3 months on a dual core PC with Windows XP and an Intel GMA graphics engine.

After working decently for a few weeks, PE7 now shuts down everytime I try to Organize -> Get Media -> PC Files and Folders. The program just disappears, no error message. The problem is there every single time I try this.

I need this fixed since I cannot use the program.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program AND the same with Premiere and Photoshop Elements together, to no avail.

Please help. If this is not the right place to put this, can you please pass it on or tell me where to put it? The Adobe website is somewhat of a maze in that regard ...

Thanks for your help. You can contact me via e-mail at j.steiner@videotron.ca

Best regards, Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jo,

I would go ahead and create a new thread on this in the Premiere Elements forum. This thread is for tracking problem specifically with Premiere Elements 8 and non-nvidia graphics chipsets (eg Intel, ATI).

Regards,

Chad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been tinkering with Premier Elements 8.0 since I bought it back in October.  I've been using an Asus Radeon 4850 TOP (factory overclocked) video card the entire time.  I had major issues with PrE8 from the get-go, but eliminated those issues with one simple step, bypassing the Welcome screen.  I have had only 4 - 6 actual crashes since then, along with one annoying but repeatable problem... but I honestly do not belive they are video card driver related.

However, I've recently rebuilt my computer & did a clean install of Windows XP Pro SP3 with 2 brand new hard drives & have yet to reinstall Premier Elements (currently re-downloading), but all other hardware remains the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2010 Jan 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a new user and have not been able to complete one project because of crashes.

I am using ATI Radion 4350 with the latest driver. 8.671.0.0

My processor is Intel Core 2 E7400 processor Dual core processor.  2.8 GHz, 3 Mb L2 Cache

I am using Windows7

Is there anyone who doesn't have this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2010 Jan 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing frequent crashes. i made another thread that has my specific hardware for my comp,

but I am running 1 gb ATI Radeon HD graphics on a win7 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2010 Jan 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad, I recently purchased Premiere Elements 8 for my Windows XP PC and I'm having all

kinds of crashes and lock up issue's. I believe my driver is an Intel, but how can I confirm that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I recently bought 4 x Toshiba Satellite Pro L300 laptops each with:

Intel Core 2 Duo T5870 2.0Ghz

2Gb RAM

Intel 4 Series Express chipset graphics card

Vista SP1, version 6.0.6001

I'm having serious issues trying to capture DV footage using PE8. Each time I try and capture, without fail, the software crashes within 2 minutes of capturing. All camera settings are fine and all capture settings are fine. I've followed the advice in the Support Centre but nothing seems to work.

I'm running video workshops using this software and not once has it worked reliably.

Attached is a log file from when it recently crashed.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad

I am experiencing frequent crashes with PRE8.  The graphics card installed on my PC is (I believe) a Radeon X300 Series.

I have recently bought PRE 8 to upgrade from PE 3 that I used previously.   The number of crashes is becoming tiresome (that is a polite way of saying how I feel!) but what also makes it frustrating is the fact that every time I reload the software I have to wait for several minutes for the 'background rendering' to complete.  This is so even though I have saved the project with completed rendering.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Peter Hardcastle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2010 Jan 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad

Looking through the replies to this it seems that it is not just Nvidia users that are experiencing crashes with PRE8 as you suggest and that the problem lies with ADOBE's software generally.  Can I suggest that ADOBE looks at this again, and again, until a solution is found?  Surely it is not necessary to make a new empty Organiser file in order to make the programme work more efficiently as has been suggested.  And ayway how is this done?

Please work through this quickly and let us all have a solution.

Kind regards

Peter Hardcastle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2010 Jan 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased PE8 this week, and I have not had a successful session yet.  That is, one that didn't end in a crash.  I have created a new project, began to capture video, and less than 2 minutes into the capture, PE8 crashes and asks me to submit the crash report.  I've submitted at least 6 crash reports.  I've tried most of the steps in this Adobe KB article, but I must admit, there are a few I haven't tried, such as running it under a new user account.

My system specs are as follows.

Dell XPS M1330

4 GB RAM

250 GB HDD

Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.2GHz

Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset (graphics card/display adapter)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to also have a look at this ARTICLE on setting up your computer for an editing session. Even brand new (maybe especially with brand new) computers usually have all sorts of bloatware, that loads on bootup and these can sap one's resources horribly.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the welcome.  I attached my latest crash log in case it might be of some use.

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With many memory address exceptions, it's a case of some program not reporting its memory usage correctly, or not releasing the memory, when it's closed.

One of the first thing that I do, to minimize the memory (both Page File and RAM) usage is to eliminate all unnecessary programs/Processes. This ARTICLE will give you tips.

Now, this does NOT mean that PrE is not faulting with regard to memory addresses, but a more likely culprit would be another program, and PrE is a victim of poor memory address management.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2010 Jan 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to provide an update on my own issues with PE8.  I decided to capture the raw footage from my camera using Windows Movie Maker.  I captured 20 minutes of SD footage (~5 GB) into one avi file.  Without disabling any services or programs running in the background, or any other special activity before starting the program, I pulled the avi file into PE and worked with it for almost an hour without any problems at all.  When I say "worked with", I mean that all I did was split the video and delete some sections.  I did not add transitions, still images, titles, or anything else.  When I was done, I rendered it to a Windows Media file, which played without any problems.

At this point, I must believe there was some issue between my camera and PE.  My camer is an older Sony MiniDV camera.  I do use FireWire, and PE would begin the capture.  The problem was that it would crash shortly after the capture began.

Anyway, I'm pleased at this point because I have my video in and have been able to work with it.  If I have problems with transtions or other things, I'll probably report back.

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just used PrE8 for the first time today and it crashed just about every time I tried to add a transition. I had no problem reopening the program and I had no problems with the organizer, just frequent closing of the program. I sent the error reports to Adobe every time.

My system specs are as follows.

Toshiba Satellite L500

3 GB RAM

250 GB HDD

Windows 7 32-bit

Pentium T4300 @ 2.1GHz

Mobile Intel 4 series Express Chipset family - driver version 8.15.10.1883.

Hopefully we are all having problems caused by similar issues that can be resolved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting in this thread. Was this with a specific transition? Or

all transitions?

We are continuing to investigate the crash issues that users have reported

here. Also, please do continue to send in crash reports when prompted. The

Premiere Elements engineering team does review the reports, and can use them

to help isolate the source of the error.

For now, our recommendation is:

1) Update to the latest video driver version for your graphics chipset

2) Disable Hardware Acceleration in the advanced settings of your Display

control panel while using Premiere Elements 8.

Regards,

Chad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2010 Jan 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad

Thanks for your reply. I have been sending in crash reports but only yesterday found that there was a specific section to identify what the problem was. Happily I am now filing these properly filled in.

I think the transition was a simple cross dissolve. I will follow your recommendations and see how this works out.

Regards

Peter Hardcastle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2010 Jan 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response, Chad. This issue is happening for any transition that I try to use: dissolve, iris, 3d, etc. My video driver is the most up-to-date version available, and my graphics card does not allow me to make changes, so I am unable to disable hardware acceleration. I guess for now I will just have to save a lot and hope for the best when working on projects.

Thanks again,

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyone who has truly solved the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My copy of pre8 is constantly crashing, but I don't have nvidia.

Mobile Intel 4 series Express Chipset family - driver version 8.15.10.1883.

Toshiba laptop with windows 7 64 bit.

Satelite A505.

Intel T6600 2.2 Ghz.

4.0 gb ram

500 gb hard drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines