• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video Layout - Landscape to Portrait

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2010 Feb 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to change my video layout from Landscape to Portrait?

(a.k.a How to rotate my video layout?)

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 13, 2010 Feb 13, 2010

Welcome to the forum.

You will need to apply the fixed Effect>Rotation to get the orientation changed/corrected.

This is easily done in the Effects Control Panel, when you Select the Clip. If you need to apply to more Clips, the Rt-click and choose Copy for the "corrected" Clip. Then, Select all others, requiring the same, and the Rt-click, choosing Paste Attributes.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

You will need to apply the fixed Effect>Rotation to get the orientation changed/corrected.

This is easily done in the Effects Control Panel, when you Select the Clip. If you need to apply to more Clips, the Rt-click and choose Copy for the "corrected" Clip. Then, Select all others, requiring the same, and the Rt-click, choosing Paste Attributes.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not excluding what Bill just informed you ( which is absolutely correct for

making a clip appear Portrait by rotating it) ...the video frame is always Landscape and is determined by the display device / screen.  (eg 4:3 , 16:9 , 1.85:1 etc)

Why do you need to achieve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While taking a video, i rotated my camera to get full vertical coverage of a person. When i uploaded it to my PC, it turned out to be horizontal, instead of vertical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Classic...oops...!

Were you really surprised?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haha.. not really.. that is a normal thing to happen if i rotated my camera...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2010 Feb 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, when shooting a standing subject on greenscreen, some people use this technique. The greenscreen is Keyed out, so one has more pixels of the person, than shooting them in a horizontal format. Obviously, if one is NOT Keying out a background, there will be Scaling and Cropping involved.

I see this more often, where one has to do some odd camera mounting for mechanical reasons.

Going back decades, my wife filmed my last SCCA race with my XKE vertically - she was a still shooter only. I have 400' of sideways footage! Now, with digital editing, I need to have that footage telecined, and then Rotate it. Not such an easy, or inexpensive task with 16mm. I still do not know how she held the Beaulieu with the 400' mag sideways, especially for the whole race, but she managed.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your reply. One thing I've learned is you shouldn't ask why someone wants to do something, just answer how they can do it. Only after you've answered the initial quetions should you ask why they want to do it. Sometimes they're asking the wrong question and sometimes I didn't have the imagination to understand why they wanted to do it.

In my case I take videos in portrait and want my project to be in protrait so when I import my portrait videos I don't want to have to rotate each one. That's wasteful and silly. This is pretty common now with so many phone apps working in portrait exclusively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2010 Feb 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rotate, scale to fill screen horizontally, and pan up, or down.

Fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines