Exit

Vector smart object from PS to AI

Enthusiast ,
Feb 14, 2010 Feb 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi...

System: Win XP, CS4

Is it possible to copy a vector smart pbject from PS to AI? Note from PS to AI? HAve tried dragging and dropping... it doesn't seem to work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... I figured it out...

Double clicking the vector smart object opens it in Illustrator... effectively bring it into Illustrator for use in another file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well yes and no the smart object can be saved as and brought into another program but the one in the photoshop file is part of that document if you save it and then close it it will update in your photoshop file that is the only way to access it. if you save as you then create another document nd any changes you have made to file is gone in the smart object unless you also did a save before doing a save as.

Any changes you make to the object that you did the save as will not be reflected in the photoshop fie that you originally have the smart object in.

So the answer is yes and no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

<snipped>

So the answer is yes and no.

Yup i guess that... the scene was this:

1/ Vector smart objects (VSO) were originally created in AI and then copy pasted into PS. The AI file was not saved / can't be easily located.

2/ The VSO were needed for another project... rather than recreate or spend hours hunting for the original file(s) i tried to copy / move them across. Also tried opening the PS file in AI by placing it... Reached the generating pixels stage and then AI said an error in the file(s).

3/ That's when i remembered that VSO are 'supposed' to be AI files (and can be edited in AI) and double-clicked on them. Problem solved... (and in AI, i didn't save the VSO but copied and pasted in a new AI file... so original PS file is unaffected.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm understanding your original question, this answer is not correct. I had the same question as your original. "copying a vector smart object from PS to AI?"

This is the problem I was having and I only found one way to solve it. Would love it if someone could give me a quicker workflow. My solution seem tedious.

RECAP:

Problem: Vector object was originally created in photoshop and I want to bring it into AI as vector art.

Answer:

1. Convert the "vector object" in Photoshop to a "Smart Object" by selecting the layer, then go to Layer > Smart Objects > Convert to Smart Object

2. Double-click on the smart object's icon in the layers palette. This opens the object in a new Photoshop window

3. Choose File > Export > Paths to Illustrator... (Note: With the smart object layer selected, you can switch over to the "Paths" tab and see your object's editable path and name)

Again, I may have misunderstood your original question, but what I've listed here is the only way I've been able to bring a vector object originated in Photoshop over to Illustrator. Pain in the ass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, the Smart Object was originally created in Illustrator and then copied into PS.

That's probably why my solution worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2014 Dec 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHat versions of Ai and PS are you using? I believe there is a difference in the way it can be done based upon the versions of programs you are running. See my second comment on the subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you notice the layer name as it is saying shape path '' Layer name Shape Path''. SO photoshop don't allow object which is created in PS to transfer in AI with color, line or any effect. It just provides you Shape Path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2014 Dec 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

My understanding is that if a file is saved/ converted to a vector smart object in Photoshop, by double clIcking on the lower quater of the vector object icon a(small icon at the bottomed the layers ) in the layers tab it will automatically open a message warning of "after editing contents" blah blah blah. Click "ok" and a new vector smart object of the same name is supposed to open in Ai. When I say supposed to I've seen done in a video training course however it does not seem to want to work in a trial version of both photoshop and Ai. I'm not sure if the reason it does not work is that it is only a trial version, or a different version of software altogether given the changes to vector smart objets in cloud versions of P/S and AI or a lack of ram to do the job.

Has anyone else hear of this answer to your original question seen or experienced these problems?

regards

gutraveller

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2014 Dec 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did the Smart object originate from?

Are you sure it's a vector smart object? Not all smart objects are vector objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2014 Dec 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

II'm not sure about the others but in my case the original file is a .ai file created in Ai then copied into PS and saved as a vector smart object. I then close the original file in Ai and double click on the folder part of the icon in the layers pallet inorder to attempt to create a new smart vector object in Ai. I can get it to work on my desktop machine which is currently using a copy of PS 5 and Ai 6 in the CC. The machine has at least 4G of ram and a 1G video card in it. This is opposed to my laptop which I've been using more often which only has on board video and 2G of ram and runs both Ai and PS in CC. It can't re-open the vector smart object in Ai. If Ai is closed it will open the program but is unable to render any drawing within Ai. I see the possibility of 2 things being wrong . 1. that there is simply not enough memory for Ai the process and render the file or 2. That there are changes in the interface between Ai and PS which means there may be another way of accomplishing the process. My bet is on number 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't re-open the vector smart object in Ai. If Ai is closed it will open the program but is unable to render any drawing within Ai.

I am having issues with this as well...

Vector art created in AI, copied/pasted onto PS and turned it onto a Vector Smart Object

When double clicking, a new PS window opens with the original vector object but when double clicking that

AI takes over and opens nothing....

Is it because the vector created in AI wasn't saved as it's own document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jayg38221956 schrieb:

Is it because the vector created in AI wasn't saved as it's own document?

No. There should be content in it if there are really paths in Photoshop. There is nothing in Outline view?

Please show the Photoshop content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you said, In your case, the Smart Object was originally created in Illustrator and then copied into PS. and if you want to edit or open in AI..

You just need to Double clicking the vector smart object opens it in Illustrator.

If your object created in PS and that you want it to take in AI..

Ans: In that case, Object should be a shape object. than Choose File > Export > Paths to Illustrator. (Not: as you selects paths to illustrator, it ask to choose layer by providing layers name. '' Layer name Shape Path'') than save the file. Saved file will be in .ai formate. So here when you will open it that object will come with only Shape Path. If you notice the layer name as it is saying shape path '' Layer name Shape Path''. SO photoshop don't allow object which is created in PS to transfer in AI with color, line or any effect. It just provides you Shape Path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

double clicking it doesn't seem to work for me 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Sara32297999c2ib,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, details about your workflow, and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3GTtjiv), so we can investigate this further?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines