• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 - whdata directory contents will not copy

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2010 Feb 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large project that will be a merged project under an umbrella project.  I have published it locally, then copied it via ftp to our website.  This worked fine for all the other merged projects, but this one keeps insisting I don't have rights to write to the directory - which turns out to be the empty whdata directory.  The other directories seem to have copied intact, it's just this one that has a problem.  Since the copy process created the directory, it doesn't make sense that it's now read-only and won't put anything in it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I could really use some help on this one...

Marion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, this sounds like some sort of permissions glitch for your IT people to resolve.

The FTP process creates the folder on the server but will not then let you transfer the contents, correct?

Have you tried generating to a new folder and then running FTP from there.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to what my esteemed colleague Peter offered, you might wish to examine the contents of both the source and the destination folders. Specifically, look for the existence of a file named "thumbs.db". This is a file that Windows will create when you choose to view the folder using thumbnails view. It's totally safe to delete if you find it. And if it's there it can adversely affect your ability to publish.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2010 Feb 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the prompt replies, Peter and Rick.

I heard back from our website guy, and he suggested using FileZilla to transfer the files.  I'm also looking into publishing directly via ftp:

I'll definitely remove the thumbs.db and see if that helps.

We are all independent consultants here, using mostly default settings, so it's probably not a permissions quirk.

I was later able to delete the empty directories and recopy them, and that time it worked.  Go figure.  But something is still missing, because the merged project doesn't show up in the TOC yet.

Thanks, as always - you guys are gold!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2010 Feb 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yay!  Problem solved.  The website guy gave me the host name, so I could publish directly to the ftp server.

An hour later, everything works.

Thanks for your help, guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp