Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Searching Confluence from WebHelp

Feb 16, 2010 Feb 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company houses its product knowledgebase on a hosted Confluence site, and I want to be able to search the KB from within our WebHelp system created in RoboHelp 7. Ideally, I'd be able to integrate the canned search functionality in WebHelp with the search API for Confluence, but I would definitely settle for a search box embedded in a WebHelp page that searches the KB. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2010 Feb 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See ZoomSearch on my site. Would that work for you?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2010 Feb 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it might, Peter. This statement in particular looks promising: "Ability to include a search on an intranet or other information sources outside the project".

Now I just need to figure out the other end -- searching a Confluence site using this tool. I have a feeling it might not be all that straightforward. Hopefully either the ZoomSearch documentation or the Confluence documentation will help.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2010 Mar 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I got the answer to my question on the ZoomHelp user forum, Peter. Probably won't work without "a fair amount of custom development." Oh, well.

http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3714

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2010 Mar 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Ray's response he says "One which happens to be hosted locally on the hard disk, and another which is served over the web". The webhelp is not being hosted locally so it might be worth pointing that out. If both information sources will be on the same server you should state that too.

Another option is to have a ZoomSearch setup as in the demos on my site where the user can choose which search to use. One button would bring up a ZoomSearch search of the help and another button the search of Confluence.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2010 Mar 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ray's assessment is accurate ... my WebHelp system actually does install on the user's hard drive, and the Confluence site is on the Web.

Your other suggestion could work, but I think for the time being I'll just go with my current solution, which is to include a link to the online knowledgebase both in the TOC and the welcome page. I'll take another look at your samples, though. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp