• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add text to a pdf file?

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2010 Feb 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was sent a rental application as a pdf file which I need to fill in but I can't seem to add text to it.

How does one open a pdf file and add text to it?

I have acrobat professional that came with adobe cs3 on my mac.

Thanks for any advice.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

If you recieve a form it will usually have form fields into which you can just type text (or make selections). If the creator of the form enable it, then you can even save the form, or just print or submit it electronically.

IIf the file has no form fields, and it's not locked, then you can add them yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Locate the typewriter tool and use that. Then use Advanced>Print Production>Preflight>PDF Fixups and choose the Flatten annotations to force the text onto the form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After finishing adding my text and adding some signatures, I want to save the pdf so that it can't be altered by the person I send it to, but I can't save it or export it in a way that doesn't let me alter the texts or the signature. It reports that it is an encrypted file and it can't be flattened or converted to any other type of pdf. I am a bit concerned about sending the pdf with the text and signature that I added still able to be altered when opened. Can anyone please advice on how i might do this? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open original copy in Acrobat

go to File menu

Choose save a copy

Acrobatpicture002.png

then you will see this :

Acrobatpicture003.png

Chhose save a copy.

Then you should be to make changes as necessary.

Then once finished choose Advanced menu and choose, extend features in Adobe Reader and save this will put the reader rights back on.

Acrobatpicture004.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a digital signature. It will become invalidated if someone edits the file after you adds the signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The typewriter is what we often used to write on a pdf file though it's not the optimal method for me. I get a point that I even need to add text to a pdf file with a graphic editor like Photoshop. And I don't think it will be a comfortable experience to do so. Is there any tool allow me to type on pdf file as we do in Ms Word program? Did Acrobat design a function for filling a pdf form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2011 Jun 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are different ways to add text to a PDF file, each allowing for a different result.

By the way,there is a step by step instruction on how to convert PDF files to Text format. It processes at very high speed and you can convert multiple PDF files to text files at one time.

Hope it can do you a favor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 12, 2011 Jun 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends upon how much text.

1. to add a small word or  few place in a document or, need to correct a misspelling: Open Acrobat and choose T Button from the Ribbon (AcrobatX). click in document  at point where you want to edit. Make your Corrections.
  2. If you have "major changes" that affect line and sentence length and placement: go to original Document PDF was created from Make corrections create a new PDF , save with new name. Now open original PDF that need to be corrected.  Now scroll over various buttons in Ribbon until you find "Replace pages". Locate corrected version  and choose to replace all the pages.  Or if it adds few enough chages just change only pages affected.  Note: if spacing of lines andplacement affected around fields added, you will have to click on each field affected and use the up/down/left/right keys to nudge into place.

Its best to avoid using typewriter when possible, as the font used is always different than what you want.

• Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,
    Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your advice, it's may be an easier task to make small changes of text in pdf files. And for large change to text within pdf file, if I have the orginal document, it's really straight method to edit in it and make a new pdf file.

But I am wondering, if I receive a plain pdf form and I want to fill out it on screen rather than by hand. What can I use? Probabaly Touchup text tool is the right choice. 

Please don't suggest the pdf converter to me, I have used many of them that the formatting is tend to be wrecked after conversion. And Converting to text is likely to lose layout and image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,
    Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you recieve a form it will usually have form fields into which you can just type text (or make selections). If the creator of the form enable it, then you can even save the form, or just print or submit it electronically.

IIf the file has no form fields, and it's not locked, then you can add them yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,
    Oct 11, 2011 Oct 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, I don't have the original file or just can't find it. It is really a big trouble for me to edit text of pdf file in that case. As what you stated, the new text I added is different from original text around it. My job needs to deal with some Pdf files, not every time I am lucky to get standard font type there.
    But there is a good news is that I have found a pdf editing tool that is able to add text to pdf and keep the added text as the same properties as text around it.

And in order to backup the filled PDF form, I am now use screen capture tool to achieve, it's not an ideal way for me but I have to put up with it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Mentor ,
    Oct 12, 2011 Oct 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't have the original and need a word version that you can edit.

Open PDF  go to Save As... choose Word and then choose format.

See this: http://www.screencast.com/t/igS0SoMDri

Note: this only works with text based files.

once its converted you can edit to you heart's content.  Then once edited as need create a new PDF with a different name.

Open the Acrobat original Document Click on On Tools (if AcrobatX) and choose replace Pages and choose your new pdf as source. the choose desired pages or choose entire document.

If you have any form Fileds and they have been displaced choose edit Form, click on each field in turn than needs moving, use up down right or left arrow keys to nudge the elements to desired position.

If you have have a Form that has extended reader rights you have to remove those right by saving a copy without rights. Then onece editting completed you have to add rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,
    Oct 12, 2011 Oct 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for precise instructions of my questions. Save pdf as word document then edit it and finally save the changed  pdf file, I got it! This is the Acrobat way.

Actually now the pdf editing tool I am using allows me to directly add text to pdf, it makes my pdf file editable like word document then I can edit text quickly within it.

I will make use of both tools to help edit files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines