• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Urgent - HTML help merged projects - displaying in the same window

Feb 22, 2010 Feb 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Following some recent windows updates I'm experiencing all sorts of problems. My most urgent problems is as follows:

First off this is all in RH8 and yes I have upgraded to 8.0.2 and project is set to re-build cpd each time.

So I have a merges project as follows:

Parent project

child project 1

chils project 2 etc

when I compile an html help project with TOC, and single source window settings on default if I click on a child project it is diaplyued in a separate window. If I then select a different project in the parent project TOC this is also displayed in a different window but the window still has the caption of the previously opened file.

What I need as  the end result is for my HTML help project output to al display in the same window whether I click on a parent project item, or a child project item.

Please can somebody advise mne how to do this as I am VERY close to a deadline and as usual it seems RH8 has let me down again.....

Thanks

Author Care

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 22, 2010 Feb 22, 2010

Hi there

Methinks Colum needs more coffee, because the options he cited have nothing to do with other windows. They have to do with whether the displayed topic synchronizes with the TOC and whether the TOC entry is highlighted.

I'm thinking it has to do with creating a "Global" window. You change the names of the windows so they include Global.

The link below has more:

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember rightly this is controlled by two options. The first is the Auto Synchronise TOC option in your window properties. This however requires that the Always Show Selection option is checked in your single source layout. This can be found by clicking Edit to access the Advanced SSL Options and clicking on the TOC Styles tab.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

I can't find these options at present, where would I find them for RH8? At the moment I can't even see the favourites tab on windows properties.

Strangely my default format is HTML help but my window properties is showing webhelp pro hence the usual options are not displayed.

BTW the background to all this is that a recent windows update seemed to corrupt my help projects and for the html help one the index was affected.

Any more thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Methinks Colum needs more coffee, because the options he cited have nothing to do with other windows. They have to do with whether the displayed topic synchronizes with the TOC and whether the TOC entry is highlighted.

I'm thinking it has to do with creating a "Global" window. You change the names of the windows so they include Global.

The link below has more:

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both,

The final conclusion then,

• The window name of my master project was not the same as the child project.
  • When  had tried a glocal name earlier $global_xx i had used a lower case on the _xx bit of it when I should have had _Xx
  • The help project now displays properly all in the same window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always willing to be corrected Rick, but if it's all the same to you I'll stick to my Assam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, not sure what you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum means tea, not coffee Rick ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Author Care

I'm joining this tea party a little late, but anytime someone mentions "merged chms" I always want to make sure they know about Rob Chandler's excellent resource in addition to Rick's fine MS Link. Check it out here:
http://helpware.net/htmlhelp/how_to_merge.htm#global

There might even be some stuff you hadn't thought of

Glad you were able to work it out.
John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further progress,

I created a new window with the default layout having first been set to html help.

I was then able to see the two options you mentioned and set them. On my test project however, my child projects still display in separate windows..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp