Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTML secondary window equivalent?

Mar 10, 2008 Mar 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that secondary windows are in WinHelp, but is there a way of making one in HTML? For instance, if you don't want a link to open as a pop-up or open replacing the existing topic, is there a way to have the linked topic open in a browser that is situated to the left of the main help window?

Finally, am I dreaming or did RH take out the ability to drag and drop topics to create links?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Style Council

Secondary windows still exist in the world of HTML help. But they are a PITA to get implemented so they work. I think as a result, many have given up on them.

Drag and drop to create links is still as good as it ever was! Where are you seeing it is failing?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for verifying that it can be done. I've been trying to find info on creating secondary windows on the internet. I really don't think it will come up a whole lot (not like it did in WinHelp), but I'd like to know how. I like RH's DHTML and pop-ups, though, and will use those more. I found some instructions that say to use the Insert HTML HELP Control button, but I tried and it didn't do anything different. I'll give it a try again. I've always used RH, but I was asked to compare a few HAT. I hope I will be able to use RH again despite it being more expensive than some competitors.

I'm using a 30-day trial of Rohohelp 7.0 Perhaps there is a limitation that way. I can make links, but not by dragging and dropping from the topics list on the left into the topic itself. Thanks for the help, Rick.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

If you are interested in trying to make the Secondary Window work, you probably would benefit from a copy of my HTML Help Tips file. You may download it from this link. Inside (among a plethora of other things) I believe I've outlined the basic steps for making the Secondary Windows work.

Hope this helps a smidge... Rick 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks very much for the help file, Rick. I think it's going to be a big help - no pun intended.

One thing I do notice in my project, though, is that on my Display Options form - Display topic in: section, under Frame, I have Default(none), New Window, same Frame, Parent Frame, and Whole Page options. I was expecting to see Secondary window (per step 4 in your Linking to Secondary Windows topic). Back on my Windows Properties (HTML Help) page, I have both Main and Secondary windows to display selected.

I'm obviously doing something wrong in setup, or this new version of RH has some secondary window limitations?

Thanks again.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

That topic is waaaay long in the tooth. Note that I'm referring to version 8 and 9. Adobe RoboHelp 7 is logically version 15! If you re-read, you should see that I'm advising you only see the secondary window option if version 8 or older.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, Rick. That's what I gathered after re-reading it. Well, your help file should still be a good resource. Thanks again for all of your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Not sure anyone is familiar with HelpSmith, but in their new 1.4 demo sample, you can create secondary windows for HTML help. They don't have pop-ups, though. So, if secondary windows is available there, it seems like Robohelp can do it. I created a couple quick topics to see how the link would look as far as position on the screen, and it looks fine. It's probably me, but I don't see this ability in Robohelp 7.0. Does anyone know how to contact Adobe and actually talk to someone? Thanks very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp