Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Code for Hide Navigation icon

Feb 23, 2010 Feb 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my Webhelp output, i have added the Hide Navigation icon.

My development team has a requirement that the Hide Navigation icon should :

on click , Hide TOC

on Click, Unhide TOC.

Currently, it can only Hide..and one has to click the Contents(TOC) icon to unhide ..They are not very comfortable with this.

Can anyone please help me modify the code to add the Unhide feature too?

Regards,

Nanditha

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the way it works in all WebHelp, other tools as well I believe, and everyone else is comfortable with it.

I guess you might be able to get someone to write a script for a button to replace the Contents button that does what you want. However, you would have to turn off the RH Contents button and then the help would open to either the Index or the Search. On balance, unless anyone else has a suggestion, I think you will have to accept the way it is. It is standard.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok..I have a slight problem in knowing how and where to edit the code..

If i try and add some code in the skins editor, then it might cause an impact while compilation and resulting in an error.

I want to know if someone has tried on some code for this function.

-Nanditha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I was suggesting is that one of your developers would have to write a script for that button. If they can make a button work the way you want, I still don't think you will like the result. Compile some help with the Contents button deselected to see what I mean.

If your attempts do fail, it will not wreck anything as you would simply remove the button you create. In any case, with things like this it is always a good idea to create a copy of your project and test on that.

I have not seen anyone post that they have written such a piece of code and I am not sure it is possible. Rick Stone will be online when America wakes up, maybe he has seen someone with this requirement before.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could visit Rick's site at http://www.robowizard.com and download his Skinny on Skins and Tips and Tricks. Just possible something is covered there.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I believe what is being sought is actually the behaivor for non-skinned  WebHelp. The topic has a link to collapse the navigation if the  navigation is shown. Otherwise, the topic has a link to show the  navigation if it's been hidden. The link may be text or an image and is configured via the WebHelp properties dialogs.

When I read this thread I wonder if the answer is to possibly just forego using a skin and instead opt for the "Traditional - No Skin" type of WebHelp. After all, they seem to be avoiding use of the skin.

If by some odd chance the skin is actually DESIRED, I suppose one could accomplish this with relative ease by taking the following actions.

Generate WebHelp twice. Once with a Skin to location A and once with the Traditional Style non-skinned WebHelp to location B. Then copy the topic files from Location B and overlay the files in location A.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 24, 2010 Feb 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using the Default skin for generating the Webhelp output.

What i basically want to do is, add to the functionality of the Hide Navigation icon, some code, so that when its clicked again, it should function like the contents icon. To display back the TOC contents panel.

I dont know where i could add the code, which one of the Java scripts am i supposed to search?

I want to check the code for the Contents icon , so that i could manage to add the same code for the Hide Navigation icon code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2010 Feb 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I've outlined the simplest possible approach for you. If you don't like that approach and still insist on doing this the JavaScript way, you will need to produce the output using the traditional style, then pick apart the code behind the links that collapse and expand the TOC in order to apply it to a skinned version.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2010 Feb 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I was looking for the latest version of your Skinny on Skins chm file. Kindly point me to the latest version.. The one i have was last updated in 2004 i guess..

Thanks

Nanditha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2010 Mar 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Nanditha

I guess you are the same Nanditha that asked the same question over in the TWI forums.

Sorry, but the Skinny file is up to date. It's not been updated in a very long time.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp