Calling WebHelp Topics using Map IDs didn't work

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2010 Feb 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Can anybody please tell me what is it that I am doing incorrect:

I created a sample web page and added the following to the head section:

<script type="text/javascript" language=JavaScript1.2 src="context-WebHelp/RoboHelp_CSH.js">

In the body, my link looked like this:

<A href='javascript:RH_ShowHelp(0,"C:\Program Files\...\Help\Infolinxweb_help.htm>Mainwindow", HH_Help_Context, 10)'>Help</a>

BTW: We have RH6

Thanks,

Sangeeta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2010 Feb 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sangeeta.

You'll find the correct syntax over at Peter Grainge's article on calling webhelp at:

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/using_map_ids.htm

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2010 Feb 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the syntax from Peter's site only. I don't know why I can't make it work. The Help (or Bulk_Update I have given below in my syntax) link is coming fine on the web page. However, clicking on it just doesn't do anything.

Here is what i have in the header:

<script type="text/javascript" language=JavaScript1.2 src="C:\Program Files\Adobe\RoboHelp 6.0\CSH API\RoboHelp_CSH.js"></script>

Here is what i hace in the body:

<A HREF='javascript:RH_ShowHelp(0, "C:\Program Files\..\..\..\..\..\Infolinxweb_help.htm>Mainwindow", HH_HELP_CONTEXT, 10)'>Bulk_Update</a>

Notice, for the Windows path i have used "\" above, is it ok? I though it should be ok because that is how the path is recognized in Windows!

The map # "10" and the map Id "Bulk_Update" used as the parameter values above, are based on the map file. I didn't understand what exactly is "Mainwindow" used for in the syntax? I just copied it as it is. Can sombody please tell me that what is the mistake i am making which is preventing it to work?

Thanks for your help,

Sangeeta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2010 Feb 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There might be two things:

You're using \ instead of /. Replace the slashes.

You're using an absolute path to your harddrive. What happens if you use a relative path from the page you are calling the help, such as "../../Infolinxweb_help.htm"

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2010 Feb 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your response Willam.

After I had given the presentation to the develpers of using either MapId’s or URL’s options for calling help, they selected the URL option.

However, I would still like to mention the things I did to make my MapId’s work:

1. I had to bring the function in the source file itself somehow calling the function didn’t work for me.
  2. I had to change the backward slashes to forward slashes
  3. JavaScript is case sensitive and one parameter in the function (HH_HELP_CONTEXT) was causing problem because I had given in the lower case.

After correcting all the above it worked to the level that it was opening the Help but somehow it was not opening the correct page, the page whose MapId was given in the parameter. Instead, it was opening the start page of the help. I just could not figure that out.

I hope it is helpful to the people who are facing the same problem as I was!

Sangeeta

Message was edited by: Forum Moderator - Corrected spelling of Willam's name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp