• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp <--> InDesign?

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2010 Feb 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The company I am doing tech docs for uses InDesign as its primary documentation platform. I am now considering using RoboHelp for online tutorials.

It seems at this point that the only way to go from RoboHelp to InDesign would be to use either Word or FrameMaker as a bridge between them. It would be so nice to have direct import/export from both apps to eliminate the extra go between. Are there any third-party utilities, or any plans for future support in this area?

Denise

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Denise.

I've never used InDesign but if there is not an export to HTML or PDF feature inside it you are probably right. I think it is best to look around at possible InDesign output formats and then look at the options for utilties. If you can export as HTML or PDF these would be preferable to exporting to Word. Usinf FrameMaker would do the job better than Word.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Denise

In addition to Colum's excellent advise, you should also consider submitting a Wish Form to advise Adobe that this is a desired workflow to be considered. They may be totally unaware of any need to move data between these two products. The link to the Wish Form is in my sig line.

Now you may look at that statement and think something like this: Well how silly of you to suggest that. After all, Adobe owns both products. Surely they are aware that some folks may be doing just that.

And to this end you would be partially right. However, RoboHelp is rather new on the scene with the stable of Adobe products. So odds are that they are unaware of any need.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Colum,

Yes, InDesign does have HTML and PDF export. Output to Word is done via RTF.

I do see that FrameMaker does a much better job at going to RoboHelp. Using FrameMaker instead of InDesign as a PRIMARY authoring tool isn't an option for me, unfortunately, because the company is pretty much set on converting all their documentaiton to ID.

So what I am trying to find is a way to eliminate the extra step in the process ... ie: InDesign --> RTF --> RoboHelp, or RoboHelp --> Word --> InDesign.  Word isn't the most reliable when it comes to bullets and numbering issues, which is why I'm not crazy about using that as the go-between.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tutorials are probably better done using Captivate - it's part of the Tech. Comm. Suite 2 and allows you to integrate swf's in FM and RH projects, but used by itself can create some awesome e-learning tutorials. Check out RJ Jacquez's blog or download the demo version to see some demos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Who said anything about tutorials?

Actually, I did. 8-)

The company has a tutorial manual right now that is in serious need of updating. But it also has to be localized into several different languages in the end, and because of the heavy edits and additions that will be involved we've decided that an online delivery might be best in the interim. And, it MIGHT remain online, but we need to keep the capability for PDF delivery open, I would think. The online version MAY also include videos as well.

The catch is that they would also like to deliver to PDF in the end. So developing the tutorials in Captivate won't be a solution there.

I appreciate all the answers so far! And yes, I just submitted a feature requests. Thanks 8-)

Denise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh, okay so mea doofus.

DOH.png

Apologies to Jeff. Somehow I managed to totally space off that little nugget of info!

Happy Thursday all. Well, assuming a check comes in the mail it will be a happy Thursday. If not, my internet access gets its throat cut this evening.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Actually, Captivate 4 has an option to create a PDF that contains the Captivate movie. Yes, PDF content can also contain other media!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems right now there is no direct link between InDesign and RoboHelp, but there were lots of helpful suggestions relating to possible solutions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp