Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where do I Disable Auto Update in 9.3?

Feb 17, 2010 Feb 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want this software to update but I cannot find a preference to turn this off in reader/MAC.

Where can I control this manuallly?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Windows it is in the preferences of Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac it's also located in Preferences>Updater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 26, 2010 Feb 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find UPDATES in Acrobat READER.

Acrobat DOES have updates but not READER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 02, 2010 Mar 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution to this was wait for the stupid ADOBE UPDATER APPLICATION to launch and turn "Automatically Check For Updates" OFF.

This is the stand alone application which gets installed in the UTILITIES folder.

I have no idea why refreshing my browser windpw posted my reply so many times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2010 Apr 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As always, we encourage you to keep your software up to date and secure.  If you'd like to do this manually, rather than automatically, you can turn off the automatic download and prompting by going to "Edit->Preferences" and choosing "Updater".  In that dialog, select "Do not download or install updates automatically".

More information on this preference can be found here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/adobereader/2010/04/upcoming_adobe_reader_and_acro.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was searching for an answer to this question, because I recently uninstalled Adobe Reader X, and rolled back to v.9.3.

However, the updater kept persistenly (and VERY ANNOYINGLY!) prompting me to update to the version I had just uninstalled.

Why did I uninstall v.10?

Although it added a couple useful new features (highlighter & comments), there were other changes that were a step backwards  (e.g. to the Toolbars & Search) ...  but the biggest problem was the crashes.   Apparently many others have had similar experiences.

I posted a review on CNET Download, where I gave it a One-Star rating. 

In fact, Adobe Reader X gets an INCREDIBLE (!) 31 out of 37 One-Star ratings on CNET.

Any product will have a few "cranks" who have a bad experience, but I can't recall ever having seen such (nearly) unanimous criticism. 

Adobe might, in principle, want users to keep up with the latest release, but provides no service to its users by persistently badgering us to upgrade to a product that should still be in Beta testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on a Mac I have a solution for you. If you have a Mac you don't need Acrobat, it's just slow extra weight trash. But sometime uninstalling can leave behind updater crap thats no better than a virus, shame on you Adobe.

Launch Terminal.app (you can use spotlight and type terminal)

Type: sudo nano /etc/hosts

Enter your OSX password when promoted

add a line in this file: 127.0.0.1   armmf.adobe.com

press <control + x> and save the file

What's this do?

Adobe some how has some weekly background installer that contacts the URL armmf.adobe.com and downloads update software and then prompts you to install it or cancel, never a "don't remind me" option. So this just simply blocks any request from your computer to this one URL. If the updater can't call home then it can't bother you with a useless update it couldn't find. Simple.

The hidden updater will still run and try to call home from time to time and I think someday Adobe should be sued with anti trust violations, but thats another day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 14, 2010 Apr 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I cannot find UPDATES in Acrobat  READER.

Acrobat DOES have updates but not READER."

In Mac it's RIGHT HERE:

readermac.jpg

In Windows it's RIGHT HERE (SAME PLACE):

readerwin.jpg

If you don't have this screen in either version, you're obviously not using Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 21, 2010 Apr 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK that is answered but how do I disable adobe updater from telling me that it needs to UPDATE ITSELF?

I don't want updater telling me it needs to update itself to check for other updates that I cannot download or necessarily want.

I want to open an application, use it and close it WITHOUT a microsoft-like warning that says it knows better than me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2010 Apr 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new updater will not ask you to update itself regardless of whether updates are enabled or disabled.  It only updates itself as part of an application update and will not prompt unless an application update is available and you have updates enabled or checked for that update manually.  Additionally, the prompt is only to update the application and doesn't even mention the updater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i think it was the problem i had, not that Adobe is updating, but that Adobe checks for updates everytime it launches...

when opening a file using adobe reader 9.3.3, a standard .pdf, notification informs checking for updates... takes ages, then finally loads. i think that was the problem above.

cant speak for a Mac but Windows 7 Enterprise is different to Adobe info.

open Adobe Reader, navigate to:

edit - preferences

left column defines categories

navigate to:

Trust Manager - Automatic Updates on right 3rd box down.

two check boxes were ticked: load trusted root certs and ask before installing

i unchecked both.

now opening a .pdf Adobe loads to 100% instantly without checking for updates...

of course manual updates are now required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines