• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp HTML 7 WebHelp: Table of Contents will not display

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a rather large WEB Help system (about 9,000 topics), using RH7 HTML. My users have been using the Help system successfully for 6 or 7 months. However, the last time I compiled (regenerated), the Table of Contents did not display.

NOTE: The Index and Search work just fine.

In the last few weeks, my shop updated Word 2003 with the 2007 version. Has the new Word version caused the problem? How may I fix the problem?

Thank you,

Jerry

Minneapolis

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new webhelp layout, not a duplicate, and send it to a new folder.

I have a feeling someone else reported this not long ago.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new layout and saved to a new directory, then regenerated: the Table of Contents still does not display.

Below is a shot of what the blank "Contents" looks like (with the Contents button enabled).

Note: I am not using a RoboHelp server.

WEB Help No Table of Contents.gif

Additional information: When I place the cursor on the Contents button, or Index button, or Search button

and right click, then select Properties, the following Properties screen appears (the same information for all three buttons😞

(Note: the Index and Search buttons work properly)

WEB Help Properties window.gif

Thanks for any additional assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you generating WebHelp or WebHelp Pro? The latter only works with RH Server which you don't use.

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question: I use WebHelp to generate the output.

A thought from a friend of mine who builds websites: Is there source HTML code for the Table of Contents? And, if so, has the "display" property been turned off.

I have not been able to locate source code for the Table of Contents. Other insights on T of C workings?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you can see the TOC in RH, it should generate. The contents are in an HHC file. I understand where your friend is coming from but that is not it.

Are you viewing the webhelp locally and does the problem occur with both IE and FF?

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can view the TOC while working in RH

I view the WEB Help locally using Internet Explorer 7 -- we do not have FF installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open the help, is there what is known as the yellow information bar above it?

If not, would it be against policy to install FF? Do you have a flash drive on which you could install PortableApps and then the portable version of FF. See http://www.portableapps.com That way it will not be installed on the PC but you will be able to see if the same problem occurs with other browsers.

Have you searched for the other thread that I think was posted not too far back?

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2009 Nov 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC has been replaced; however the new PC does not correct the TOC problem.

"When you open the help, is there what is known as the yellow information bar above it?"

Yes: The top of the display contains an IE browser message: "To help protect your security,...." (see below),

and:

* Contents does not display

* Index does not display the Keyword Find field

* Index does not display the Search field

RH7 Yellow Information Bar.gif

When I click on IE browser message and “Allow Blocked Content,” the following occurs:

·         Contents still does not display

·         Index works properly

·         Search works properly

RH7 Allow Blocked Content.gif

·         NOTE: Our shop uses IE7 (as of July, 2009)

·         Is there an IE Security setting(s) which would allow TOC to display? If not,

·         Would installing RoboHelp 8 correct the TOC problem?

Thank you for insights/assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2009 Nov 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the supplied sample projects work OK?

How big is the project zipped up?

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Do the supplied sample projects work OK?"

I compiled a sample project which contained a TOC, Index, Search, Glossary.

• Upon initial viewing, TOC and Glosssary worked properly, while Index and Search did not.

• Clicking on the "Yellow bar" and clicking on "Allow Blocked Content" fixed the problem.

" How big is the project zipped up?"

• 44,704 KB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if the answer to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/524254?tstart=0 helps.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I use RH 7 on Windows XP, and generate my help project using WebHelp.

The Search and Index functions work perfectly fine in the generated help project on my

hard drive, but when the project is deployed to our Web server for user acceptance testing,

these functions don't work."

Hello,

I, too, use RH 7 on Windows XP, and generate my help project using WebHelp.

However, my problem with TOC not displaying occurs when generating my WEB Help on my hard drive.

NOTE: I have not migrated this non-working TOC version to our server for the user community.

You have given me an idea: I will see if Library Control will migrate my "non-working

TOC version" to our intranet Test Site. It's worth a try.

Thank you for your interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I have the same problem with Table of Contents in Chrome browser.

I have also edited whever whver.js but the result is still not better.

I use XP and Robohelp 8 (trial version)

I also concern that it works properly with Firefox, IE, Safari and Opera but Chrome.

Please help me to solve it.

Thank you very much!

PheoNC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FF and IE are supported browsers. Safari is only supported on a MAC, not the PC version. Opera and Chrome are not supported.

You haven't said whether this problem also occurs once the help is on a server.

Maybe these posts will help.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HATT/message/76507

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3011047#3011047

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reference to "contents are in an HHC file." I Googled ".hhc file" and found out that such a file may be adversely affected by a damaged registry.

I will, In fact, be getting a new PC on Thursday (11/12/2009) because my current PC has a corrupted registry. Therefore, my TOC problem may be fixed when the new PC is in place. I will keep you posted.

Thank you,

Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you deactivate RH on the existing PC. You are allowed two concurrent installations for a desktop and laptop. If you don't deactivate, you will lose one.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing RoboHelp 8 solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2010 Jan 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pleased that installing RoboHelp 8 solved your problem.

However, I have RoboHelp 8 and the Table of Contents do not display when I publish Webhelp.

Thanks to this forum, I now have a direction to look at.

I will compare my whdata, whgdata, and whxdata folders to see if they are resident on the destination server.

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2010 Feb 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? I am running RoboHelp 8.0.2 and when I publish WebHelp the Table of Contents does not appear in Internet Explorer 8 (even with the lowest security settings) but it does display correctly in Firefox, Safari, and Chrome .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2010 Feb 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please advise which of the suggestions in this thread have been tried. Otherwise all I will be doing is suggesting things already covered.

Is the problem with the webhelp when it is local or on the server?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2010 Feb 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RE: "Is the problem with the webhelp when it is local or on the server?"

In my case, the webhelp table of contents not displaying problem was local.

Jerry Christensen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, I develop using a web server on localhost and then deploy to a test or production server. I did not attempt to post the DHTML>Pure HTML option to an outside server since the TOC was not showing up on localhost. I ended up publishing Pure HTML, at the price of reduced functionality.

I did some experimentation with IE's security settings and changing the setting of the local Intranet or Internet zone, "Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting" to Enable allowed the Table of Contents to be displayed. However, this is not a normal setting to change and if you do alter it for the Internet Zone, you will see a message stating, "Your current settings put your computer at risk..."

Adobe should address this issue of how RoboHelp (Version 8.0.2 in my case) is generating WebHelp Table of Contents. Altering the security setting in Internet Explorer is not a viable option for many users. I hope this insight helps others who experience a similar problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I believe you are misunderstanding things. When you are on the local hard drive, you are in an unsafe zone from the browser perspective. This is why Adobe provides the "Mark Of The Web" option. (MOTW) When you enable this option, WebHelp should work fine on the local PC. However, links to things like Microsoft Word documents or Adobe PDF files won't work with MOTW enabled.

Without MOTW, you can still make the WebHelp work by adjusting the browser security as you noted.

When you copy things to a server, these steps don't matter because you are automatically in a "Safe" zone from the browser perspective. Everything should work fine in this case.

Hopefully you can see from this explanation that there really isn't anything Adobe needs to change. They have already addressed it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback RoboWizard. When I published the WebHelp build, I had the "Add Mark of the Web" option checked. After moving the files to an internet-facing web server, Internet Explorer 8.0 demonstrates the same result: No Table of Contents.

The only way I was able to see the TOC was to change the setting I described previously in the Internet Zone of IE's Security settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp