Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IE 7 and Firefox 3 display issues - neither work as expected

Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2010 Feb 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

I'm having a terrible time trying to figure out how to solve the 2 display issues I have on IE and Firefox. I can't get either one to work like it's supposed to.

I'm using RH8, Webhelp and it doesn't matter what skin I use (nothing custom, just what is available in RH).

On IE 7.0.5730.13, Webhelp only displays information in the information frame (text) when I attempt to resize the panes. If I just click and move my mouse just a little bit to expand the TOC text magically appears for THAT selected TOC topic only. If I move to another topic in the TOC, I have to do the same thing. And by resize, I mean, I click and move a millimeter and the stuff displays. Otherwise, if I do nothing, the TOC displays as expected but the text frame (contents) is blank.

On Firefox 3.5.6, the TOC pane does not display 100% vertically........it's cut off at the end of the TOC and contains scrollbars to move vertically and horizontally.

So, neither browser really works for me.  Am I the only one?

I'm using RH 8.0.0.203

Any advice or suggestions are very much welcome.......

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2010 Feb 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this when you open the help from your application or if you just open it from the start page?

It is not behaviour I can recall having been reported.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 28, 2010 Feb 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Well, we haven't gotten that far yet.

For IE:

The display issue in IE occurs when I view the WebHelp Pro results by clicking on the "View Results" button after generating it AND when I launch the .htm help file (name_rhc.htm), by double-clicking on it, from a Windows Explorer window.  In both cases, IE displays a blank page when clicking topics in the TOC  (or when using breadcrumbs) UNLESS I adjust the pane size (1 mm or less is sufficient) between the TOC and content areas of the help file. If I don't touch the pane, I only see a blank page.

It's interesting to note that if I double-click on a topic .htm file from the Windows Explorer window, the page displays as expected and I can use the breadcrumbs to move forward through the help file. There is no issue when I view the entire help file in this case, but the skin and TOC pane is missing, of course.

Also, note that I receive the irritating "ActiveX" message/prompt the first time I open the help file (name_rhc.htm). I always "allow".  But, could this be causing the display problem?

For Firefox:

The display issue described above for IE does not occur in Firefox (interesting to note I do not receive the ActiveX message/prompt).  The TOC pane still is small (it does not display 100% vertically) and contains horizontal and vertical scrollbars and one must scroll to view the entire contents.  Essentially, it's cut off.  Let me know if you'd like a screenshot. 🙂

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention, I've since updated RH to version 8.0.1.204, no change in behavior.

I will try to view the help file on another machine to see if I can reproduce the issue. I'll post my results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebHelp Pro output is designed to work on a server that has RoboHelp Server installed. Would I be right in guessing you don't have RoboHelp Server?

Generate WebHelp and see how that works.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW. Please see the sticky topics in the RoboHelp forum. You really should apply the 802 update.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to 8.0.2.208, thanks.

I generated Webhelp only (not Webhelp Pro) and I still have the same display issues in IE and Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update......

The IE problem is resolved.  It was a conflict with my imported CSS, which was originally used with a frame HTML layout.  I removed a bunch of styles, menu controls, etc.  So far, so good.

The Firefox problem still persists, even with the correct CSS.  Surely I can't be the only one out here with Firefox skin issues.....am I?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First check out the supplied sample projects and see if you have the same problem.

Then make a copy of your project, select all the topics in the Topic List and select Properties. Change all to the default style sheet and try that.

Finally try a brand new project with a supplied style sheet and some new topics, not imports.

Post back how that goes and I'll look in the morning. Late here now.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your help and patience very much - and on the weekend too!    Cheers to the weekend-workers!

In case I can't finish all of your suggestions by tomorrow, I opened a sample project and generated WebHelp, I can still see the Firefox issue.  I confirmed all topics use the provided MS_Help.css file. I've attached the image.  This is the same display error I have on the project I created.  The horizontal & vertical scrollbars do not display until you open some of the topics and the text becomes greater than the "frame".

FF_DisplayIssue.jpg

This is Firefox 3.5.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add - IE displays okay for me on the sample project

-j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll wait until you have finished testing but that is not on of the supplied samples, it is one of your own. Try one of the samples that ships with RH.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 01, 2010 Mar 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the image shown is not one of my projects.  I thought it was one of the sample projects....

I found this project by selecting "Knowledge Base" from the "Create New" column in the Starter pod.

Can you direct me to where I would find the sample projects you are referring to?

Sorry, I'm a newbie.

-j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would make it a new project, not a sample.

Look in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

(Delete \Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2 if you have the standalone version of RH).

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, my apologies.........I had no idea those files were in there.

I assume I had to generate a Webhelp file.....so, I generated one using the samples in:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US\CCC\

And this is my Firefox result.....

ff_displayissue_sample.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post an image of the full window please?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure.......

ff_displayissue_samplefull.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No issue in IE:

IE_samplefull.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed the "padlock" icon in Firefox does not work for me, either.  In IE, clicking on the padlock icon displays a revision history table.  Nothing happens when I click on the icon in Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Can you please explain what the "Padlock" icon is? I don't see a padlock icon.

Are you using any Firefox add ons? Do things change if you disable any add ons? (Perhaps Peter asked already. Apologies if so)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the one with the world map. I want to see a full screen from a known project.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't the padlock for https servers?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ff_displayissue_samplefull.jpg

For the "padlock icon", I don't know.  The only thing I know is that it's clickable in IE and displays a revision history table.  In Firefox, it does nothing.

***The padlock icon displays within the heading area of each topic.  It's not a Firefox or IE add-on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IE_samplefull.jpg

Same page in IE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow........I didn't mean PADLOCK!  Perhaps I need new glasses........

The "warning" icon.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp