Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Calling an external app from within WebHelp

Mar 01, 2010 Mar 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 8.0.2 producing merged WebHelp.

I want to be able to call an external application, such as a batch file or an .exe from within a topic or table of contents.

We're converting to Qt (from Nokia/Trolltech) and one part of our Help will be in their QtHelp format, which requires the use of assistant.exe. Has anyone done something like this?

.MW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 01, 2010 Mar 01, 2010

Hi there

If you were using Compiled HTML (CHM) format as your output, I'd say no problem! Use an HTML Help Shortcut control.

Unfortunately, you are asking about WebHelp. And WebHelp is a collection of HTML pages presented from within a frameset. And you can't run EXE files from HTML pages. It's a security issue. Think about it. If you could do that, someone could construct a link to an EXE file that would format your hard drive and wipe it out.

Click here for more

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy L

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If you were using Compiled HTML (CHM) format as your output, I'd say no problem! Use an HTML Help Shortcut control.

Unfortunately, you are asking about WebHelp. And WebHelp is a collection of HTML pages presented from within a frameset. And you can't run EXE files from HTML pages. It's a security issue. Think about it. If you could do that, someone could construct a link to an EXE file that would format your hard drive and wipe it out.

Click here for more

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. Well hopefully I can find a way to call the .qch file without calling assistant. Its very much like a .chm file. How does RoboHelp call Captivate movies and the like?

.MW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 03, 2010 Mar 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insert-HTML Help Controls-Shortcut

Use text as the type and then enter a path on the next tab. Creates a button that will launch any exe file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

So how certain are you about that?

For starters, the Shortcut option will not be present if the output type is WebHelp. This is because it's a CHM only thing.

Secondly, assuming it were to work at all, it will not launch the EXE file. At best, it will typically only prompt to download it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Captive,

I am certain. I even created a demo for anyone to review if they had the knowhow to do it safely. (Because running ANY executable from an unknown source is a HUGE no no, though some of us in the dev world have lab boxes setup for such a case. The advice is not to view this if you dont understand running executables over the web)

This exe that is launched from a button in this WebHelp file, is a simple MessageBox PopUp that states "Hello World!" when Run. I compiled it with AutoIt.

http://www.exeink.com/robohelp/executable.htm

The running of ANY executable over the web does indeed bring up a dialogue for "Save" or "Run". This is standard Web behaviour. Assumming it is a standalone executable, Assistant.exe, having your web app run it does work in this way. just choose RUN and it will. If he is using his WebHelp as a local application, you can launch any application on the computer with this method. (Launch Parameters included)

He seemd to be speaking about some kind of integration with another system and needed the ability to launch his other app or some part of it that would allow further work. This will indeed do it either locally or over the web.

My name is Burr and a whois of my domain will show this (Though still subject to the trust issue).

Anyway, just like an activeX control or any other Application type behaviour over the web. Basically the requirement would be a standalone executable that runs without an installation process (Though this can be worked with also) Or a newer WPF application.

hello.jpg

hello_running.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: Mark Russinovich does this with a bunch of his tools. Since they are standalone tools that run without installation, he even made a site to run them over the web as needed when needed

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

Look at the top for sysinternals "LIVE" link. Some valuable resources for people.

I suppose I could even create a help system for tech heads and do some linking to run his tools from within my help app "LIVE". Just follow the tute and use the tool it launches as the  demonstation goes on!

Pretty spiffy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 04, 2010 Mar 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this is an interesting discussion. I encourage everyone to continue it, however, since this is something we'd provide to customers in the form of Help, it would seem to range from impractical to negligent to embed a potentially dangerous command in a Help file. Our programming staff has invoked the mystical "HTML security protocol" clause, but I thank everyone for their interest. I'll let you know what comes of it.

.MW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 04, 2010 Mar 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TheMarcus7 wrote:

since this is something we'd provide to customers in the form of Help, it would seem to range from impractical to negligent to embed a potentially dangerous command in a Help file.

.MW

This would be the actual time "Too" use it. Providing this type of feature over a "web" (anonymous application), is probably not a scenario you want to setup. The danger and security comes into play with "trusted source". When developing "applications" (Webhelp) for "clients", you are a trusted source for your client, and the ability/need/desire to utilize this could be beneficial. The power is endless. You run executables everyday, just not from some guy you dont know in a forum.

Anyway....For what fit's the purposes.

Burr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MW

Captivate movies are Flash SWF files. These files are usually presented in the Web Browser from within an HTML page. In other words, they were designed to live and be presented from the web. The Adobe Flash player is used to present their content. The Flash player exists as either an ActiveX control or a Plug In.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp