Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Update server not responding" when trying to update Acrobat 9 Pro

Feb 11, 2010 Feb 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Acrobat 9 Pro on my desktop computer and on my laptop. I was able to download and install the latest updates to the copy on my desktop computer (so that it is now version 9.3.0), using Help>Check for Updates.

When I try the same command on my laptop, I get and error message that states "The update server is not responding, which means it may be offline at the moment, or the Internet or firlewall settings may be incorrect. Please try again later." I tried several times yesterday and today with the same error. The message pops up immediatley; it doesn't even seem to actually try to connect.

I disabled my firewall and antivirus software and still get the same result. I uninstalled then reinstalled Acrobat and still get the same result.

I looked online at Adobe.com to see about downloading and installing the updates manually, but it's difficult for me to tell which updates I need. Some are for other languages and some are for 64-bit but I have Windows 7 32-bit.

A call to tech support was no help. The agent seemed to think because I installed verison 9.0 that I only needed the one English update listed on the download page under 9.0, and not any of the later updates. . . And he said that Adobe recommends manually installing updates from Adobe.com rather than using the Check for Updates command (?!).

Anyway, does anyone know what might be causing this problem with the adobe updater? Maybe I need to reinstall the updater (where do I find it?).

OR

Can someone tell me which of the updates listed on the Acrobat dowload page I should manually install to bring my product up to date?

[Running Windows 7 32-bit on both machines]

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Mar 02, 2010 Mar 02, 2010

With all due respect to Bill, that's quite not the point of the question....you SHOULD be able to use the automatic updater to easily update your Adobe products.  I speak this frankly because I experienced the incredible frustration of trying unsuccessfully to update my Adobe Creative Suite on my laptop.  I'm assuming that you're trying to update Acrobat on a laptop and not on a desktop (I haven't had the same problems with my desktop PC).  The aswer is actually rather simple, just follow these

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2010 Feb 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all due respect to Bill, that's quite not the point of the question....you SHOULD be able to use the automatic updater to easily update your Adobe products.  I speak this frankly because I experienced the incredible frustration of trying unsuccessfully to update my Adobe Creative Suite on my laptop.  I'm assuming that you're trying to update Acrobat on a laptop and not on a desktop (I haven't had the same problems with my desktop PC).  The aswer is actually rather simple, just follow these steps:

1. Open Network and Sharing Center
   2. Click Change adapter settings
   3. Right-click the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter, and click Disable.
   4. Open Adobe Reader and Help > Check for Updates

And voila, updates a la Adobe Updater.  Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @ken7795. That did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ken7795!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2010 Apr 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem as described in the original post for the past couple of months. I also tried disabling my firewalls and it still didn't help. One thing was right, this problem only happened with my laptop, so it did make sense that the wi-fi adapter would have something to do with it. Therefore, I finally took ken7795's advice and it worked like a charm. @ken7795, thanks so much, it really did the trick and only took but a minute to do what I've spent countless hours and days trying to fix!

ken7795 wrote:

With all due respect to Bill, that's quite not the point of the question....you SHOULD be able to use the automatic updater to easily update your Adobe products.  I speak this frankly because I experienced the incredible frustration of trying unsuccessfully to update my Adobe Creative Suite on my laptop.  I'm assuming that you're trying to update Acrobat on a laptop and not on a desktop (I haven't had the same problems with my desktop PC).  The aswer is actually rather simple, just follow these steps:

1. Open Network and Sharing Center
   2. Click Change adapter settings
   3. Right-click the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter, and click Disable.
   4. Open Adobe Reader and Help > Check for Updates

And voila, updates a la Adobe Updater.  Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 24, 2010 May 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MY GOSH KEN! You also fixed MY problem as well! Thank you SO much for taking the time to answer this question!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same error message when trying to update. but I cant use this fix. I've got windows home vista and when I go to the network and sharing center, there isnt anything about a MS virtual WiFi miniport adapter. Is there another way that I have to go about finding mine so that I can disable it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for saving me hours of searching.  This did the trick perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 07, 2010 Oct 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this answer solved my problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man! This has been bugging me since september!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot!  It works great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2011 Aug 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken,

Just wanted to say thanks! This issue has been bugging me for some time... your help fixed it right away.

Miles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2011 Nov 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thank you to Ken for fixing this annoying issue! I don't know how on Earth you figured that out, but I know I wouldn't have...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same problem on my Windows XP tower, unrelated to wifi.

Problem was with Symantec (Norton Internet Security).

Solution was:

1. right-click network connection icon and select "Status"
  2. click "Properties" button
  3. uncheck box "Symantec Network Security Intermediate Filter Driver" and click "OK"
  4. Run the updater again
  5. When complete, repeat (1)-(3) to re-check the intermediate filter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2010 Jul 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem on my iMac, anyone know how to getting it working on that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 10, 2011 Feb 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have you found a solution for this problem?

I've got the same problem, "Update server is not responding etc etc". It just sits there thinking.

I've got Macbook running 10.6.6

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 10, 2011 Feb 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my first suggestion would be to buy a PC. Sorry, I know nothing about Mac world.

...plb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2011 Feb 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Which version of Acrobat do you have ?

(Launch Acrobat and Go to Acrobat->About Adobe Acrobat menu item and check the version )

Also, can you ping following urls ?

armmf.adobe.com

armdl.adobe.com

ardownload.adobe.com

Are these urls reachable ?

Also, you can check the contents of host file /etc/defaults/host to see that none of the ips are redirected.

One more thing that you could try:

If you have firewall on, could you please disable the firewall and then try the update. Does it works now ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2011 Jan 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same problem on my W7 32 bit laptop, after long waiting on the chat adobe support, I called to tech support 57 minutes waiting was no help in all, so I jus follow Ken7795, it works great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great.  thanks for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, saved me a bunch of time troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2011 Nov 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A BIG thank you to Ken!!!! he fixed the problem i was having with CS5 and it not updating after days of trying!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also found that I had to disable two different connections in Network and Sharing Center.  Both the 'Broadband Virtual Wireless adapter' and the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter' and that finally fixed the problem after months of trying to figure this one out!  Thank you to Ken for helping!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines