• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with Premiere Elements 8 after updating to Nvidia driver 195.81 or later?

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2010 Jan 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello PRE8 users,

If you have an Nvidia-based graphics chipset, and you've updated to Nvidia driver version 195.81 or later and you're still experiencing frequent crashes and freezes in Premiere Elements 8, then we'd like to hear from you in this thread. As mentioned in the announcement at the top of this forum, we believe most of these issues are caused by a problem with an Nvidia driver that was released after PRE8 was developed, and that the issues should be resolved by updating to Nvidia driver version 195.81 or later. Notes from the announcement I mentioned above are copied below for your reference.

Best regards,

Chad

-------------

For Nvidia users, there is a driver update that will fix both of the following issues:

• Premiere Elements 8 does not restart after closing on Windows
  • Frequent and inexplicable crashes with Premiere Elements 8

To resolve these issues, you should update your GPU (graphics card) driver to version 195.81 or higher, by following the steps below.

1.      Identify which GPU driver you have by right clicking on the Desktop > Properties > Settings and in the Display field it will be displayed.

2.      Go to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and download driver for your GPU card. Its size varies from 80 to 120MB depending upon the GPU card model.

3.      After the download is complete, run the driver install Installation. This should take less than 2 minutes.

There are no known issues that the latest driver update will cause.

This is an announcement. There is a separate discussion topic located here.

***If the update steps shown above do not upgrade your system to version 195.81 or higher, then you may need to download the driver directly. Use the link below only if the steps above do not update your driver to 195.81 or higher. The download page for Vista and Windows 7 is located here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_195.81_beta.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_195.81_beta.html

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 7 64bit Premium edition and I tried the new NVidia drivers earlier in the week and begain to experience intermittent crashes of windows resulting in blue screen followed by a memory dump and automatic reboot.  I've reverted to old drivers for now and hope that NVidia addresses this in the certified version of the driver which appear to be released about a month or so after the Beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Palindromedad, that sounds like you might have installed the incorrect driver version for your system. Are you sure it was the 64-bit version, and also the Windows 7 version? Were the blue screen crashes in PRE8 only, or in Windows in general?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chad,

The file I downloaded was 195.81_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_beta.exe which appears to be the correct version for windows 7 64bit.    My crashes were random and did not appear related to running Elements 8.   I have not had another crash since I reverted to the prior approved version of the driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2010 Jan 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to 195.81 driver, however playback of mpg vids is still jerkey in the preview window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2010 Jan 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WCY, are you running at least a dual-core processor with a full load of RAM?

Also, MPEGs can have their own challenges that can be unrelated to any drivers -- depending on whether they are hi-def or not and depending on their source. So it's quite possible even updating the drivers will not help you unless you have the necessary hardware to support your video source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I built the system primarily for photo and video editing. It is a Quad Core I7 960 Chip 12GB DDR3 Ram with 2 150 GB raptor HD's set at raid 0, 1 80GB SSD Boot drive and a 500 GB Data Storage Drive. Video card is a EVGA Gforce GTX 260. I don't think thereshould be any hardware issues. The OS is Win7 64bit. The video plays fine in WMM just not in PE. I did read about converting the file to AVI which PE seems to help. However it seems that a step like that should not be necessary especially when the vids in question were had no problem with an older version of PE.

Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:43:41 -0700

To: someone_888@hotmail.com

Subject: Problems with Premiere Elements 8 after updating to Nvidia driver 195.81 or later?

WCY, are you running at least a dual-core processor with a full load of RAM?

Also, MPEGs can have their own challenges that can be unrelated to any drivers -- depending on whether they are hi-def or not and depending on their source. So it's quite possible even updating the drivers will not help you unless you have the necessary hardware to support your video source.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WCY, although PE Marketing shows Mpeg as a supported format, from my own experience I have found Mpeg, especially large Mpeg files to present a challenge to PE (pick a version). The same holds true for VOB files, although PE also lists that as a supported format.

My recommendation is when and where ever possible, convert these files to DV-AVI and move on to hassle free Editing with PE.

Some Editors (like Sony Vegas) work as advertised with large Mpeg files, in my particuliar case, I've continued to have Mpeg issues with PE, thus my religon with DV-AVI.

If you resolve your issues and decide to stick with Mpeg and PE, then may the force be with you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With most file formats, there is much beyond just the file extension, i.e. MPEG, AVI, MOV, WMV, etc.. Those formats are but "wrappers," and can contain all sorts of stuff. This ARTICLE will give a bit more background on what can be inside those wrappers.

With GOP formats/CODEC's, some conversion work will be required to allow for Frame-level editing. With a format/CODEC like the oft mentioned DV-AVI Type II's, that conversion (either internally, or externally) will not be required, as it will contain each discrete Frame. This ARTICLE goes into a bit more background on GOP formats/CODEC's. It's often the GOP structure, that causes issues with those files.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2010 Jan 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the help. I finaly had a few hours to spend on the problem, and I seem to have resolved the issue. I basically decided to start from scratch as there were so many changes made to the program trying to resolve all the issues that I thought they could be conflicting with each other. I removed the installed a fresh copy of the Nvida 195.81 driver and also uninstalled and reinstalled PE8. I then copied over the 6 replacement Dll's as Adobe recommends After testing and finding the random crashes & freezing had been corrected. I tried playing video back but found no improvment in the jerkeyness of the video in the priview pane. I then set PE8 to run in Windows XPSP2 compatability mode and the playback was suddenly smooth and clear. I hope that in the future Adobe will come out with a patch that will improve PE8's compatability with Win7 64Bit, but until then at least I can get started with some editing. Again thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wycote, how do you get PE8 to run in XPSP2 compatibility mode? That sounds like a magic bullet for all kinds of things for those of us running Win7 64...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2010 Jan 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried what you advised, however, NVIDIA says I am using the latest driver which is 195.62 ! I am using Windows 7 and a Nvidia 9600 graphics card. PE 8 refuses to shut down cleanly. I have virtually given up with it and gone back to using PE 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kermit-999 wrote:

Tried what you advised, however, NVIDIA says I am using the latest driver which is 195.62

195.62 is the most recent certified (WHQL) Nvidia driver. The 195.81 driver is currently still Beta.

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to PE8 from PE7 because your customer rep told me PE7 was incompatible with Windows 7, I have been unable to maintain a full session on PE8.  My Nvidia driver has been updated with 195.62 for 64-bit (this was the only update available for my GT230 card).  I operate (or have attempt to) PE8 on an Intel Core i5 with 8gb RAM.  PE8 continuously hangs up when I attempt event the simplest task.  I'm not happy about spending an extra $99 for an upgrade that is obviously just as incompatible with Windows 7 as its predecessor.  Is there a fix or suggestion that doesn't require more downloads or third party plug-ins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'd like you to try the beta 195.81 drivers from nvidia. There are

links at the top of this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2010 Jan 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded & installed 195.81 Beta drivers. I can confirm that PE 8 now exits cleanly.. BUT it has now developed an even worse problem, namely, I cannot render any work without PE8 crashing, closing and telling me that a crash report has been generated and would I please submit it to Adobe Labs.

To run quickly through what I did.. I loaded an AVI file into PE 7 (home grown video of 22 mins). didn't do anything to it, just selected share, and selected BURN to DVD.. PE 7 did it without any problem.

Start PE 8. Load the same AVI file and selected share, burn to disc .. FIVE attempts, FIVE crashes during the encoding media phase. the quickest crash was 22% into encode .. the longest was 75% .. The important thing here is that it was 100% crash. It seems PE8 just does not want to play at all !

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium

Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 (2.66GHz)

1GB NVIDIA GFORCE 9600GT

4 GB RAM

I think its back to PE 7 !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had problems with Premiere Elements 8 not closing correctly (still running in background) and an easy propensity to crash.  I tried upgrading to the lastest beta 195.81 driver from Nvidia and was still having problems with it freezing when dragging clips around so I'm now trying in addition disabling threaded optimization for Adobe premier elements. 

This is the only program I've had an issue with on Win7 64-bit, I see about 20 32bit programs running right now with no problem.

My System -

Win 7 64-bit ultimate

i920 processor

12GB memory

For your suggestion above are you recommending both the beta driver and disabling threaded optimization?  Also do you recommend disabling threaded optimization globally or just for elements?  The screenshots shown above don't seem to match what the text is saying to do.

- Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2010 Jan 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NVidia just released certified driver 196.21 for windows 7 64 bit.   I loaded this driver and it does appear to resolve issue where windows was crashing randomly when I used the Beta driver.  I tested PE8 briefly and PE8 does quit successfully now and I was able to use the stabilizer effect without crashing however I find if I scroll thru the video effects PE8 now hangs.  I have to use the drop down list of effects to avoid scrolling in order to use any effects not displayed on first screen.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2010 Jan 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the 196.21 Nvidia Driver and still get crashes about every 20 minutes, usually when dragging something to the timeline but also once when burning the project to DVD.  It also once hung while saving (I turned "save project" to every three minutes !)

My recommendation is to give everyone on this message board a free upgrade to the professional version to give Adobe time to fix their software!

-SamTheFish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2010 Jan 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gotten blue screens (the windows crash kind)  when I try writing the project to DVD, I've had the system for almost a year and the only time it's ever blue screened has been when doing something in Premiere.  Crash happened once as I click button to burn project, once as it was done crunching and was ready to actually burn.  It's happened twice but doesn't happen every time, it's hard to recreate.  My first suspicion with a blue screen is hardware but it is unusual it's only in Premiere.  I still get Premiere hanging occasionally with the new Nvidia driver but it doesn't seem to happen as often.  I've burned quite a bit with my memorex DVD burner with no problems in the past.

I've ruled out bad memory (runs memory diagnostic fine)

Overheating CPU (CPU heatsink is fine and temps are low)

BIOS is set at default, no aggressive memory timings or overclocking.

My system:

i920

12G ram

Win7 64bit

Nvidia 9500 GT w/ 196.21 driver

Chad - if you'd find it helpful I could send you the crashdump.

SamTheFish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sam,

Could be some tie-in with the nVidia, but a BSOD is usually as sign of something more serious going on. Also, video editing and authoring are about as intensive a task, as one can ask of a computer, so it could well be that this intense work is pushing something over the edge. Usually, heat issues are suspect, but you say that you are monitoring the temps (everywhere?), so that can possibly ruled out.

Now, with system crashes, there is often a breadcrumb trail left behind. This ARTICLE will give you tips on looking for clues in that trail. You have to dig a bit, but often will find the culprit in some of the links in the error and warning messages. If not, then look down at the bottom of the article for "The Case of the Unexplained." It will give you many tips, and links to other utilities for troubleshooting.

Good luck, and hope that something helps. If you do find some clues, you might want to post another thread on what you find, so they can be addressed outside of the scope of Chad's nVidia thread.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, thanks for the reply.  I'm of the same opinion in general about blue screens.  This workstation has been taxed pretty hard however and has never acted the least bit unstable, which is what has me scratching my head.  I've done day long linux compiles in virtual machines where all 8 (hyperthreaded) cpus would be essentially pegged or close to it with no problem, also has no problem doing 3d shooters on the graphics side.  I really have two issues with premiere that may be unrelated, one is the blue screen and the other (more common) problem is the program freezes frequently, about every 20 mins or so.

I'm going to try the trial version of the pro version and see if THAT crashes, thanks for the link, useful troubleshooting info there.

SamTheFish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sam,

Good luck with the troubleshooting. Please report if some of those "clues" do pan out.

I also think that you'll like PrPro, but then I am heavily biased, as I use it most of the time. Enjoy.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2010 Jan 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I located this post via Google, because I am experiencing the same issue and I have similar system specs.  After looking at the supported hardware it seems that the beta driver does not support the GeForce 9600 GT, specifically.  I see the driver sopports the 9600 GS and GSO cards, but not the GT.  Has anyone had any luck with the 9600 GT?  Thanks in advance.

*EDIT* Oops, I see now that Kermit has the same card as I do.  But, I also see he has had some trouble.  Could this be due to the fact that the 9600 GT is not supported by the beta driver?  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed Premiere Elements 8.0 from the download version, installed the Beta Driver from NVidia. The program is being used in the UK.

There is some quirky behaviour with the Splash Screen window with open/new projects opening the application window but not the project as required, but once the application is open I can choose the options from the menu.

The main problem I've got now is that there is no Export menu available from the File Menu, even for a simple one video option. The latest version of Quicktime has been re-installed as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines