Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Client Variable question

Engaged ,
Mar 02, 2010 Mar 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If we can't afford ColdFusion 9 Enterprise could we get away with using ColdFusion's Client Variables stored in the database to persist information across servers?

Typically, we've had just one server and used session vars so things worked fine. The problem is we want to add an additional ColdFusion server and I'm concerned that we won't be able to continue to use session variables anymore.  I'm trying to determine if Client Variables is my only option to persist information across servers since we can't afford ColdFusion 8/9 Enteprrise.  We also have CFCs in the session scope at times and wondering if that will be an issue too since we don't have CF 8/9 Enterprise.  I thought Client Variables only stored simple data as opposed to structures, cfcs, etc, but I could be wrong...

Any thoughts appreciated

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 03, 2010 Mar 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are ways to serialize complex variables so that they can be stored in a database.

But you may want to consider sticky sessions.  With such a configuration once a user comes to yoru site and is asigned to a given server, that user's reqeusts will continue to be served by the same server until their session is up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sticky sessions don't we need CF Enterprise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Depends on what you are using to create and manage the cluster. If you are using a hardware load balancer solution (like an F5 Networks load balancer) then you don't need CF Enterprise. But if you are using software clustering, then you do.

Dana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation