• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Computer won't stay authorized for ADE

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2010 Feb 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't track down this problem.  Previous threads have indicated that this is related to trouble writing to the registry, possibly from an antivirus program, registry cleaner or "permissions issue".

After using a selective startup to disable all non-essential services and disabling my AVG antivirus and ZoneAlarm firewall and uninstalling all registry cleaners and similar utilities, I am still baffled.  I am unclear as to what is meant by "permissions issue."  Every other program seems to be able to write to the registry.

Linked to this is the mysterious "Adobe Error -474 that pops up when I am trying to use my Sony Reader Library software.  Of course I don't use the Sony Library now because too many attempts will cause the "too many activations" problem which it took Adobe Support a week to reset.

I am considering an uninstall of ADE and manual purge of all registry references to ADE followed by a reinstall of ADE to see if that will help, but I don't have enough information about what ADE normally puts in the registry.

Adobe software is normally extremely reliable over many systems and configurations but this is a sad exception.

I would appreciate any advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2010 Feb 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now, having tried some more troubleshooting on my own, I am back to Too_Many_Activations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2010 Feb 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello fellow Ereader companion!!! Adobe has not solved the problem neither has Sony or AVG. I have open problem tickets with all 3. While working with Sony corporate on the East Coast (not the engineers in San Diego) I was able to download books to my library. However to do this I had to disable everything from my startup menu, and the gentleman from Sony had to deauthorize my PC. When I signed in I wasthen authorized and quickly downloaded books I had already purchased. However even with everything turned off and bringing up my PC in safe mode with networking, it would not stay authorized.

This Monday I'll be talking to Sony for updates. I speak only to corporate since I got angry enough to contact Sony in Japan to try and get results.

AS for Adobe the last update to my posting told me to authorize my computer even though I had told them that I had received the too many activation error again. I guess they can't read very well. If you wish to contact me directly my email is monorail007@sbcglobal.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2010 Feb 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Monday I'll be talking to Sony for updates. I speak only to corporate since I got angry enough to contact Sony in Japan to try and get results.

AS for Adobe the last update to my posting told me to authorize my computer even though I had told them that I had received the too many activation error again. I guess they can't read very well. If you wish to contact me directly my email is monorail007@sbcglobal.net

Thank you for your efforts!!

You would think that Adobe and Sony would take the initiative to work together to solve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2010 Mar 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this problem.  Have contacted sony techs and they  performed actions in my computer

and still cannot fix it.  They say it is a software problem between sony reader and adobe edition.  I have a tech that is to call me tomorrow between 9-3PM- Will see what happens.  I will follow this thread for advice and info-  Thanks-  CM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2010 Mar 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Sony and Adobe are working on the problem. There is something that might work temporarily until a perm fix is made. Try creating a new user ID on you Windows application. This worked for me. It's not perfect but at least I had access to my Libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2010 Mar 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it appears I am not the only one having this problem.  Every time I download a library book or a purchased book it asked me to authorize my system either through the Adobe ID or my Sony Reader ID.  So, the last time I went to get a library book it came up with too many acitivations on both accounts.  I emailed sony and they sent a letter with a phone number to call in. I called on Thursday, explained what happened, was on the phone with them for over an hour and they said all would be working fine.  I said great because I had bought a netbook and was going to install everything on that instead of the laptop I take back and forth to work.  Well I installed on the netbook and guess what, my account is still showing too many activations.  So much for having the problem fixed.  Now, yes we can create a new account but then my understanding is we lose everything we have in our current library.  I really dont want to lose the books I have purchased.  Or am I wrong in this?

Any help would be appreciated.  I am leaving in another week for a 2 week holiday and need to take my reader along with me as more than a paperweight!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2010 Mar 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post is a little unclear. Is your too many activations on Sony or Adobe? If Sony they should be able to correct right away. For Adobe you have to open a case number and pray. It often takes them a week before they reset your activations. I'm assuming it's Adobe so open a ticket number with them. Please make sure to include your Adobe ID in the problem description to save time (for some reason they keep asking for it over and over). When they've reset try creating a new user ID on your Windows account. This was the temp solution to my problem. Adobe & Sony are working on perm solutions but each case seems to be different.

P.S. If Adobe hasn't reset ID in time for your trip, Call Sony and get to 2nd or 3rd level support. While you remain on phone get them to contact Adobe and have your ID reset. I was able to acomplish this one of the times when I got really upset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 06, 2010 Mar 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.  I have too many activations with both Adobe and Sony.  I did phone Sony and they said they would reset but it hasn't been fixed yet.

I will call them again today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2010 Mar 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Monorail007 wrote:

There is something that might work temporarily until a perm fix is made. Try creating a new user ID on you Windows application. This worked for me. It's not perfect but at least I had access to my Libraries.

Correct - this is a viable workaround that has been known to Adobe since 2008.  Read in this thread post # 9  by Bentley Wolfe,
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2177088

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines