Mar 05, 2010 Mar 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afternoon all,

RH802 generating WebHelp.

Reading thru the latest help PDF for RH8, page 177 says:

"In-topic navigation bars
Navigation bars added to a layout using WebHelp as the output type."

Any idea what these are or how to use them? The text seems to refer to a field on the SSL properties that doesn't exist.

Thanks,

Patrick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick

Are you using RoboHelp HTML or RoboHelp for Word? If you say RoboHelp for Word, my guess is that this is a feature you will only find in RoboHelp HTML.

Do they list any images depicting the beast? If so, can you screen capture and insert in the post? I suspect what is being referred to here is the "Mini TOC" functionality. But I'm not certain.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

I'm using RoboHelp HTML.

There's no images in that section of the help documentation. They present a list of "Navigation Options" including hyperlinks, pop-up text, etc. They also include a section on page 276 for setting options for generating WebHelp:

Browse Sequences

Create browse sequences before enabling them.

Detail

Change the text displayed for the in-topic navigation bar elements.

Search Input Field In Toolbar

Include a search field in the main toolbar.

Seems like "Detail" is supposed to be a check box on the second pane of the SSL layout, but I've never seen it.

I currently use the mini-TOC feature in my project - don't think it's related to that.

Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd... Sounds like someone attempting to "catch the mist" and create a document based on sales hyperbole.

Okay, so let's break it down.

You have an ability to include a "Navigation pane link" in the WebHelp generation options. This will cause the topic to present a "Show Navigation" link if it's opened all on its own without the surrounding frameset.

There are Master Pages that may be associated with Topics. And the Master Pages may contain Breadcrumb trails. But then again, when you generate, you also have the option of adding Breadcrumb trails. (which can look pretty odd if you use both - LOL Sorta like Hansel AND Gretel BOTH were dropping breadcrumbs!) - So THOSE are likely considered "in topic" navigation elements.

Then you have other options if you choose to generate WebHelp using the "Traditional - No skin" type of WebHelp. And in that case you have all sorts of elements that you may change. But those aren't really new to version 8. They've been there for some time. I think the only thing version 8 adds is the ability to insert placeholders, such as the Mini-TOC and Breadcrumbs.

Sorry I'm not able to offer more... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

No problem.

Reading through all the documentation I almost get the impression these references are in the wrong place and don't refer to WebHelp. The document does refer to them in OracleHelp and JavaHelp, and the information is stored in whtopic.js apparently.

I'm guessing it's a mistake due to cutting and pasting in the doc and the error was never caught.

Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL, or the possibility that the document was created by someone that really had no clue of what RoboHelp does or is capable of. 

Happy Friday... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp