• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 7 64-bit Adobe Reader 9.3 and IE8 - Opening PDF in tab and then closing said tab causes IE8

Feb 01, 2010 Feb 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running Win7 64-bit for quite some time now and only up until a few weeksa go started to have problems with Adobe Reader continuing to ask me how I wanted to read a document and to click here to save the settings and not ask me again.  The check box never worked and it would continue to ask me constantly every time I opened up a new PDF file.

I finally figured out how to get rid of the nagging dialog box but now each and every time I open up a new tab with a PDF file in it and then close the tab, IE8 crashes and tries to recover the tab.  This never happened before.

What is causing this and how do I fix this?  Please advise.

Upgraded to 9.3 this morning and problem remains.  Tried uninstalling all traces of Adobe Reader and reinstalling but still no dice.

Problem also happens at home on a similar computer running Win 7 64-bit and running an older version of Acrobat and Adobe Reader.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Feb 02, 2010 Feb 02, 2010

Try this:

Right click on the IE8 icon in the taskbar. A menu pops ups up. Right click again on "Internet Explorer". Then left click on "Run as administrator". I had a different problem with Reader and this solved the problem. The problem I had was I could not save pdf files in IE8. This solved that problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Right click on the IE8 icon in the taskbar. A menu pops ups up. Right click again on "Internet Explorer". Then left click on "Run as administrator". I had a different problem with Reader and this solved the problem. The problem I had was I could not save pdf files in IE8. This solved that problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works perfectly fine.  But it's so damn annoying to have to continuously keep opening IE as administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2010 Mar 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem after a completely fresh installation of Win 7, IE8, Adobe reader 9.3.  The solution is to use the 64 bit version of IE8, not the 32 bit version.  Something else I had trouble with (I can'r remember now, it might have been Google toolbar), caused me to use the 32 bit version of IE8 as a matter  of routine.  But, I couldn't save my some of my bank statements (PDF documents). If I  ran as adminstrator (as suggested by this thread), I could.  But I found that if I ran the 64-bit version of IE8, I could run it normally, and still save PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines