• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph Designer Freeze in 9.0p237

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2009 Aug 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has any body experienced the Paragrapg Designer freezing in Framemaker 9 after a short period of use?  By freezing I mean that the format selection window freezes at the displayed font and doesnt allow any changes to be mede.  I have to restart Framemaker and sometime have to reboot my PC.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing the new patch should do it. (9.02 I believe)

ls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 9.0.2 patch is the 9.0p237 version of FM.

How much memory do you have and what operating system are you running FM under?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2009 Aug 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis

I am running Framemaker under Windows XP (SP3).  My machine has 4 GB of memory (XP recognizes 2.98)

- - -

Bob Geib

[signature deleted by host]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

How consistently is this happening (i.e. after a fixed period of time, a number of operations, specific font selections, etc.) or is it somewhat random? I can't say that I've had this happen on my system (yet?).

What is your system default printer set to when you're using FM? It really should be the Adobe PDF printer instance. There's a utility from Sundorne (SetPrint - see http://www.sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm ) that will automatically ensure that the Adobe PDF is set when you start FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2009 Aug 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortumately it occurs randomly.

I have installed the SetPrint utility today so lets see if the problem is just another one of the annoying postscript print bugs

Thanks

- - -

Bob Geib

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say that "the format selection window" freezes,  do you mean that it's when your cursor goes over the top menu Format and under that, you move the cursor over the "Fonts" entry (intentionally or unintentionally) so that the list of fonts is displayed?

If that's the case, I'd suggest disabling the font flyout menu and see if that solves the freeze.

The font flyout menu has been the source of anxiety over the years; for some people it's just too huge and fills the screen, and if I remember correctly,  for some it apparently tries to enumerate fonts on network printers, thus slowing to a crawl.

In any event, try disabling it, which can be done by creating or editing the file called customui.cfg that's located in the path

FM install Directory . / fminit / configui

the contents of my customui.cfg is:

<Remove !ShowFontChoices <Menu FontMenu>>

Reminder: of course, if you do try this, be sure to make a backup copy of customui.cfg if there is one already in the directory.

Sheila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... or is it related to the problems I reported in my earlier posting http://forums.adobe.com/thread/446244?tstart=0 about the Command button or the replacements-for-tabs buttons ceasing to respond?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niels

My symptoms are in addition to the ones you described. I also see the

non functionality of the command button

- - -

Bob Geib

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheila

The problem is with the Paragraph Designer. The designer will freeze on whichever panel (Font / numbering / spacing etc.) is currently displayed and you are unable to change anything from the palette.

As a side note the font flyout fix doesn't seem to work for me-

- - -

Bob Geib

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2009 Sep 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is exactly what I'm experiencing.

I have 9.0p237 (patch 9.02).

I'm on a Windows XP machine with service pace 3 and 1.5GB of RAM.

The paragraph designer will freeze on whatever 'page' (e.g., format, font, numbering, pagination, advanced, table, etc.) with no discernable source.

Restarting the application does not typically "fix" the problem.

The discussion on this forum thread is not at the point of identifying a solution yet.

Is there any way we can escalate this problem toward a resolution?

Not having reliable access to the paragraph designer is a real issue.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2009 Sep 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this problem again. The problem went away after the patch and I switched to PDF default printer, but has returned. Every time I make a paragraph format, I have to close FM down to make another one.

I am also running Windows XP, Service Pack 3, with 3.4 GB Ram free.

Just glad to see this back on the list of questions. Hopefully someone can figure out what else could be the problem.

Thanks,

ls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 18, 2009 Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fwiw – it's not something I often do, but I recently had to try out a couple of layout changes where the easy option was to move tab-stops in the ruler. This seemed to be enough to lock up the paragraph designer. Every dog's allowed one bite, so I didn't rush to share this with the forum: but a similar change-request today led me to move tab-stops once again … and once again, the paragraph designer locked up. Can other people out there reproduce this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter what operation causes the freeze on my machine. At

some random point chosen by the application the Paragraph Designer say

that it is time to go to sleep and not be coopratative again. This bug

has been reported by me to Adobe.

It also occurs in Framemaker 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My only current recourse seems to be to revert all of my 8 or 9

documents back to 7.2. (What a pain)

- - -

Bob Geib

Design & Test Engineer

Microwave Filter Components

Aeroflex Microelectronic Solutions

350 Kennedy Drive

Hauppauge, NY 11788

Direct: 631-404-3669

Cell: 526-523-1265

Email: bob.geib@aeroflex.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try applying the 9.0.3 patch.

I haven't had this "freeze" happen (yet) in any version of FM8 or 9 to date, so I'm wondering if it's something to do with one's configuration/system resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the new patch...but it didn't make a difference. Everytime I make a para format the para designer

freezes.. just stops....you can't do anything...I have to shut the program down entirely...not just the document.

Glad it's not just me though and I hope that someone can figure out what is making this happen to us.

Thanks for continuing to try to help us out.

lsk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AM BEGINNING TO WONDER IF THIS IS ANOTHER ANNOYING WINDOWS XP SP3 PROBLEM

- - -

Bob Geib

Design & Test Engineer

350 Kennedy Drive

Hauppauge, NY 11788

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fwiw – it's not something I often do, but I recently had to try out a couple of layout changes where the easy option was to move tab-stops in the ruler.

I can confirm this (but I never work this way): If tab stops are moved below/inside the horizontal ruler and the Paragraph Designer shows not the Basic page (with the Tab settings) it freezes.

The workaround is quite easy in FM9: Right-click the Paragraph Designers title and close it. After pressing Ctrl+M or restting your workspace it is working as before.

This may require that the third checkbox in File > Preferences > User Interface, first group of options is unchecked, so all closed pods are really closed and not just hidden. (I have the German UI so I am not sure about the control names.)

HTH,

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - moving a tab on the ruler freeze when the basic pane is not showing definitely causes the freeze.

Unfortunately having the designer closed doesn't seem to be a 100% fix.

- - -

Bob Geib

Design & Test Engineer

350 Kennedy Drive

Hauppauge, NY 11788

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe that has been my problem all along also. I have been moving tabs to

set up my para styles too. Whatever it is...I can't seem to change it. I am going to try Michaels

idea when I get a chance.

Thanks,

lsk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2009 Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem from what I can tell, may be the tabs. But I still have to close down FM though.

lsk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2009 Sep 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just came across some strange behaviour (using 9.0p250) with Paragraph Designer and tabs.

If the designer is docked on the right and just opened as a flyout, whenever I try to add or edit a tab setting, and click the "Continue" button on the tab panel, the designer snaps shut and nothing takes. However, if I detach the designer and and leave it floating (like in the prior versions of FM), then I can set tabs using the panel with no problem. Something is a bit hinky here.

How do you have the designer set - docked or floating?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2009 Sep 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generally keep ali my palates open on my second screen. The are docked together but generally "floating".

- - -

Bob Geib

Design & Test Engineer

350 Kennedy Drive

Hauppauge, NY 11788

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2010 Mar 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone ever get an answer to this thread? Maybe there's another thread that I'm missing, but I still cannot use

the paragraph designer. This is kind of serious as I had hoped to have my entire department migrate to FM 9. Is there a patch I can install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 08, 2010 Mar 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am 09.03.2010 um 03:59 schrieb suze304:

Did anyone ever get an answer to this thread? Maybe there's another thread that I'm missing, but I still cannot use

the paragraph designer. This is kind of serious as I had hoped to have my entire department migrate to FM 9. Is there a patch I can install?

Make sure you have FrameMaker 9.0p250 installed. Also, try to avoid moving Tab positions on the ruler, because this seemed to be the source of the problem. Only very few users are working this way. If it happens still, try to reset your workspace.

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines