Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with rename .CHM file

Mar 04, 2010 Mar 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RobHelp 7.0.  I'd like the .CHM output by RoboHelp HTML to have a different name.  How can this be done?  I know that .CHM filename is based on the the project filename. (.XPJ)

What I've done:

1. Open the Project

2. Select File > Rename Project

3. Project Name, I typed in the new project name

Then I did:

1. Select the Single Source Layouts Pod

2. Right-click the Microsoft HTML Help.  Select Properties

3. Select Output Folder and Filename, I typed the new name for the .chm file)

When I compiled the file, I still see the old .chm filename.  I checked the !SSL! folder and the new file name is there.   What did I do wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CHM default name is based on the project name. In the wizard you can change its name to whatever you want.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sounds like you are making the right changes. Where exactly (or what exactly) are you seeing that leads you to believe the name isn't changing? Can you please post screen captures or a Jing movie of what you are seeing? Perhaps if we can see what you are seeing we can tell you where things are breaking down.

http://www.jingproject.com

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2010 Mar 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like the .CHM output by RoboHelp HTML to be called "IRA Reference Manual" but I'm still the old title "IRA Manual".

I was able to rename the project filename:

project_name.JPG

I also see the new title in the !SSL! folder:

SSL_folder.JPG

When I compiled the filename, I still see the old. CHM filename:

output_filename.JPG

What did I do wrong?  Any help is greatly appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you don't have any Irish customers!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Peter - LOL!

Okay, Peter gave you a hint as to part of it. He said in his post that you use the wizard to change the output name to what you want. So just in case you aren't sure how to do this, here's what you do.

Click View > Pods > Single Source Layouts

Right-click the Microsoft HTML Help layout

There you configure the file name and location that is used for the .CHM file.

Now for what appears in the Title Bar of the CHM, you click File > Project Settings and configure the Project Title.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 09, 2010 Mar 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still getting the same result. 

The old title name still shows up in the Title Bar of the CHM.

titlebar.JPG

Even though I made the change in the File > Project Settings

projectsettings.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 09, 2010 Mar 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

What about Window properties?

Click View > Pods > Project set-up

Expand the Windows folder

Double-click the Window and edit the Window Caption

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2010 Mar 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Window titile - I have set project name and Window Caption, but when I open Help (Microsoft HTML) it just says "HTML help".  It is an old project and the caption was ok until I converted the project, earlier I used RoboHelp for Word  (and Robohelp X5).  I've done the same for 3 other projects but the Window captions for those are ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I check that you are actually using the RoboHelp HTML application now and not the RoboHelp for Word application to produce your Microsoft HTML file. If you are, have you also checked your Project Settings?

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using RoboHelp 8 HTML and I have checked the Project settings - the project title is set.  In my other projects it shows the Window Caption if it is set for the window and otherwise Project title. But fo some reason it uses neither one for this project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a copy of your project, open up the project's HHP file in Notepad and check the "Title=" value in the [OPTIONS] section at the top. Is that set to HTML Help? If so, change to what you want, save the HHP file, reopen the RH project and compile.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2010 Mar 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Title value is the project name, so that doesn't solve the problem.

But, I found the solution - there must be a bug:  In RoboHelp options my default language is Finnish. But some of the projects are in Swedish so in the Project Settings language is Swedish for this project. If I change the language in project settings to Finnish the title shows right. I checked another Swedish project - there the language in the project settings is English (US) and the Window caption is ok. If I change that to Swedish, the Window caption is just "HTML Help".  If the language is Finnish, English (US) or English (UK), the title shows right, but if it is Swedish or for e.g Estonian, caption is just HTML Help (I didn't try changing to any other languages).

Finally, I changed both the language in RoboHelp options and the language  in project settings to Swedish and generated html help - the title was HTML Help.  But using Finnish or English I get the title right...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I have nearly the same problem and the solution of MinnaO doesn't work for me, is there a general solution for this problem?

My default language (RoboHelp and project) is german. I have different Single Source Layouts for CHMs in german, english, fench, spanish and italian (others will follow), but only german and english show the correct title. The other three show 'HTML Help' as title, which is a default if I understood it correctly.

I've changed the default language (RoboHelp and project) to italian, but the problem still exists.

The HHP-file is correct - it has the correct title under [OPTIONS] -> Title...

In addition I tried to "rebuild" the wrong Single Source Layouts by copying a correct one (Duplicate Layout or so - I'm using the german version 😉 ) and by creating a complete new one. But it didn't work.

So where do the data come from and where do I change it?

I'm using RH9 HTML an a XP Pro x64 system...

Thanks in advance, guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new window for each of your SSLs. Make sure you have the default SSL set to Microsoft HTML Help first though. Then add the correct Window Caption to each window and assign the window to the relevant SSL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RoboColum(n)!

Unfortunately it didn't work... I've set my spanish CHM-SSL as default, created a new window with the correct title and changed the settings of the spanish CHM-SSL (default window = the new window).

The title is still "HTML Help"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

This is a known issue with CHM files. What has to happen is that the CHM file has to be opened on a Windows operating system in that language in order for the Title Bar to read correctly. Because the CHM has been configured for a specific language, it's not able to understand the language in use, so you see the generic title.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I lean back and wait for my colleagues in France, Italy and Spain to find out? Good enough for me

Thanks for your fast help, RoboColum(n) and Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi everyone,

I know this is an old post, but I have had the same problem recently with RoboHelp HTML 10 (the title displayed after compiling the CHM was "HTML Help" instead of the one in the project settings, window settings and single source layout settings) and the only thing that helped was to change the system locale to the language of my project (in my case, German). After restarting my PC, I recompiled the CHM and the title was correctly displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp