Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to call a CF File from another CF File

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2010 Mar 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am trying to call a CF1 File from another CF2 File.

CF1 File - takes some parameters which will help in generating PDF.

i need to call that CF1 File with parameters from another CF2 File. i cannot use hyperlink, i cannot use cflocation, i cannot use cfform tag, i cannot use any submit buttons or anything. just when i run CF2 File. CF1 File should trigger and the pdf output should be generated.  pdf output will only be generated in cf1 file only when i send some parameters to that file from CF2 File.

Thanks

Ravi

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about invoking a cfc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you give me example code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is CERTAINLY not the most elegant solution, but it shows the intention, at least.

First, on the calling page, we have the following CFC invocation (it assumes a folder structure of root/com/excel.cfc):

<cfinvoke component="com.excel" method="makePDF" firstname="Douglas" lastname="Adams" />

The "component" attribute tells CF where to look for the cfc file and the "method" attribute tells CF which "method" to run once it finds the cfc.  Next, I simply pass in a couple arguments: firstname and lastname in this example.  Of course, these could just as easily be FORM or URL variables (or any other kind, for that matter.

Next, here's the CFC:

<cfcomponent>
    <cffunction name="makePDF" access="public" output="yes">
        <cfargument name="firstname" required="yes">
        <cfargument name="lastname" required="yes">
        <cfsavecontent variable="pdfdoc">
            #arguments.firstname# #arguments.lastname#
        </cfsavecontent>
        <cfheader name="content-disposition" value="attachment; filename=mypdf.pdf">
        <cfdocument format="pdf">
            <cfoutput>#pdfdoc#</cfoutput>
        </cfdocument>
    </cffunction>
</cfcomponent>

You'll notice at the top I have the arguments expected for this method specified--the same two that I passed from the calling page.  Next, I simply create the document content.

The most important part is the <cfheader>--by setting the "value" to what it is, it will force a download of the pdf, rather than trying to load it in the same page.  Finally, I just output the document content between <cfdocument> tags with a format of "pdf" which will take care of the pdf generation.

Again, not the most elegant solution, but I think it will work.  Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking time and replying to my post.

I am not sure how can i use your example but here is what i have. i have a coldfusion file2 that uses cfdocumentitem to generate pdf. for this file i need to just pass one value(ex like emp id) from another file. not only passing value. but the file2 should be called from file1 with that parameter. until unless it
(file2) calls the file(file1) with parameter, pdf file will not be generated. like cflocation how it calls another cfpage with parameters. is there anyway. i cannot use cflocation bec it is redirecting.

let me know if i am clear to you or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2010 Mar 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ravi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2010 Mar 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

cfinclude

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation