• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Photoshop Elements 2 compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?

Mar 10, 2010 Mar 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've just ordered a new PC with Windows 7/64bits.

My old Photoshop Elements 2 still works fine with XP and Vista.

What about W7/64 ?

Difficult to get reliable information from Microsoft compatibility website...

Shall I have to buy the last version ?

Thanks for your help.

Z.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a reasonable chance that PSE 2 will work on Windows 7, but you may have to use one of the compatibility modes:

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Run_in_Vista

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John, I'll try compatibility mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this might also be helpful for system requirements

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/systemreqs/

-garry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2010 Mar 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news ! I've got my new W7/64 PC, and installed Photoshop Elements 2 without any problem

Thanks everybody !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help also. Just got Windows7 on an HP. Downloaded PSE 2.0. It installed okay but when I try to open the program, I get the following error:

'Could not start Adobe Photoshop because the volume Windows is using for Virtual Memory does not have enough free space, which could lead to stability problems. See Windows Help for information on increasing available Virtual Memory.'

My brand new PC has 6G of RAM. The tech who helped set up the computer said the amount of VM allocated is WAY more than enough.

I'm at a loss and need advice. I LOVE version 2 of Elements and would like to keep it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like PhotoShop Element 2 as well. Not so long ago, I had installed it on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine with 8 Gigabytes of memory. It installed and worked without any issue. I got a newer replacement machine, also Windows 7 64-bit with 8 Gigabytes of memory, and got the same error you experienced. I was puzzled....the only difference between the two systems was the hard disk size. The working machine had a much smaller hard drive (160 Gigabytes, with about half of it used). The non-working machine had a 500 Gigabyte hard drive with about 400 Gigabtyes free.

The solution I found was to make a permanent swap file for the system. Go into system properties and click the Avanced System Settings. Display the Advanced tab. In the Performance box, click Settings. Display the Advanced tab. In the Virtual memory box, click Change. Unmark the option to automatically manage the paging file size. Mark the optio to for a Custom size. Enter an initial and maximum size. I put in 8142 and 12213. Click Set. (This is important...don't skip this step!) Then click OK. Re-boot your machine, and you should be good to go with PhotoShop Elements 2.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error mentioned here has nothing to do with RAM. Generally, this error appears because the free hard disk space is less than the settings for the paging file (virtual memory - hard drive space set aside for use by the OS when RAM runs out). This can also result due to a conflict of Photoshop Elements' own virtual memory (scratch disk) attempting to overlap the same area because there isn't enough hard drive space for both. Regardless of what the OS or PSE are doing, they grab a set amount of space when launched. This space is not filled, but reserved (but it might as well be filled because nothing else can use it). Make sure that at least 15% of your main system hard drive is empty and that the space has been defragmented. Additionally, system security can block access to these spaces. Try disabling security settings (especially the OS UAC).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also run Win 7 64 bit . I tried a wide variety of paging file sizes per your directions.  None worked.  The same error message always appears saying "cannot initialize because scratch disks are full."   Once you click on "OK" it of course terminates the program.    What on earth is the problem ?

I would very much like to run Photoshop Elements 2 on my newwer PC but can't figure out how to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your case, the problem is you probably have a hard drive over 1TB in size.

(or if your freespace is 1TB or more)

Pse 2 can't see read hard drives over 1TB in size and will generate that message "cannot initialize because scratch disks are full." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, works for win10 as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines