Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't access any of my files or even a new blank project

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2010 Mar 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ForRH.jpg

I'm working with RH 8. I have also installed the critical updates.

I cannot access any of my RH projects. At first I could access the project I'm currently working on. I could not access any of my other projects.

So, I reinstalled the critical updates. However, when I reinstalled I only got the window above. I clicked next.

After i reinstalled I can't access any of my projects, including the one I could access before. I cannot access RH and just create a new project either. Can someone help.

Thank you.

I also got the message that my current file was more current than the version of RH. It seems that the update didnt' take.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

There are many reasons the CPD can get corrupted but recreating is OK. See Opening Projects on my site for more information.

You said before that renaming it worked but only for that session. Are you now saying you can close and reopen repeatedly?

Something went wrong with installing the patches and that is probably the reason here.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2010 Mar 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you see in Add / Remove Programs?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I see both Robohelp 8.0 and Robohelp 8.0.2. So does that mean I have 2 copies of RH on my computer? Should I delete the 8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed and reinstalled the RH 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 updates and I could open the project I was currently working on.

I tried opening the older projects and got the message, yet again, that "Adobe RH 8 has encountered a problem and needs to close." None of my older projects would open.

When I went back to access the newer project, that I could access before, I couldn't access it.

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try renaming the CPD of a project you cannot access.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I renamed the .cpd file and then I could access the project. However, I noticed that when I closed the project it created another .cpd file with the original name, and when I tried to access the project again, I couldn't.

Now what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does create another file with the original name, that is the idea. In creating that new file, it usually fixes the problem.

Is the project on your local drive or a network?

If you create a new project, can you close and reopen that?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the .cpd that I renamed and now I can access the project.

I am working on my C drive. I only store my backup on our network.

Can you tell me why creating another .cpd works?

Thank you so much for the help, and your patience. I really appreciate it. I would be absolutely lost without this forum and everyone on it.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many reasons the CPD can get corrupted but recreating is OK. See Opening Projects on my site for more information.

You said before that renaming it worked but only for that session. Are you now saying you can close and reopen repeatedly?

Something went wrong with installing the patches and that is probably the reason here.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reading your site. Thanks for the info. I'll keep at it till it works.

I reinstalled the patch a couple of times so it should be good.

Again, you are a lifesaver.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to get somewhere stable and I have set out the steps below. Before you do that though, locate one of the sample projects and see if that works OK.

They can be found at

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

If that works OK and can be opened, closed, reopened repeatedly then your installation would seem to be OK Post back and go no further. If however you have the same problem...

1. Uninstall 802.
  2. Go back to Add/Remove and uninstall 801
  3. Go back to Add/Remove and uninstall 800

If you have problems with any of those steps, post back and wait before you go any further.

Assuming that does all work OK then reinstall and apply both patches. Do not open any project until you have 802 installed.

Once 802 is installed, again rename the CPD and try again. Please try it a few times before posting back.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, it didn't work.

I uninstalled and reinstalled 8.0, and both batches.

I could access my most current project (the one that used to work) once but then not again. I couldn't access any of the other projects either.

I also reinstalled 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 again and that didn’t' help.

????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sample projects?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried them. They open the first time, and there are no broken links, but not a second time. Just like my files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Question here. What is your operating system? Windows Vista or 7 maybe?

I ask because you said your projects were on your C drive. Normally that's excellent and where you want projects to be. But I've found that if I am using Vista and I try to save something to the root ( C:\ ) from some applications, I'm blocked and see issues with the application. So my thought is that if you are attempting to work directly from the root and you are on Vista, that may explain things.

Normally I suggest folks create a folder named Projects right off the root of C:\ and create a folder inside the Projects folder to house any project.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My operating system is XP.

I'm on my C drive but have the projects in folders that are 3 deep, for example:

C:\aaa|bbb\projectname\projectname.xpj

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to try the same projects on a different machine and preferably outside the work environment?

Can you get IT to create a temporary profile for you test with? Tell them to keep the old one for now.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had my boss try to access my files and she had no problem. Does this sound like my system has a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My boss opened my projects with no problem. There were no broken links either.

IT is making me a new profile tonight and I'll try it tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this sound like my system has a problem.

Take a wild guess. A problem we haven't seen and your boss has no problem. Let's see what the new profile does. You will lose all your settings for all your software though unless IT can do some hacking around.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought, can your boss open them a second time?

Also does she have 802 applied? If not, you may find after she applies that, there will be broken links but don't consider working without it. There will be tears later.

Have you tried moving a project back to your PC after your boss has opened it?

Backups all the way.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I had her try opening the projects a second time and all of them opened. She also has 802. She recently had her laptop rebuilt and is running Windows 7. I have no idea if that helped.

She put all her files directly on her C drive, only 1 subfolder. I'm putting mine on my C with only 1 subfolder but so far it's not helping. I'm going to try some backups next.

I can't move her files back to my pc. We deleted them but I'll have her open them again and then try them on my pc and see if that works.

It's very strange that the most recent project will open just fine, with no broken links, the first time then not open after that. The older projects just don't open at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the backup files and they don't work either.

Strangely enough, one did open the first time. That's the most recent project that opens sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2010 Mar 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More info of a random kind ---

I just moved a project back to my pc after my boss opened it. I could open it once then not again, even if I renamed the .cpd file.

Also, my boss can only open the projects if she changes the .cpd file first.

I still haven't gotten a new profile. IT is busy today.

It seems that with some files, I can open them once, then not again. Even if I rename the .cpd file.

Also, this morning, I could open the file I was working on most recently. I couldn't open it yesterday afternoon. But I could only open it once, then not again.

I also notice that RH is very, very slow at opening anything, or even giving error messages. Don't know if that has anything to do with my problems.

My older files used to be merged files (the ones I can't open at all). I don't know if that has anything to do with my problems either. The one project that works sometimes, has never been part of the merged projects.

I hope something in these ramblings sparks a solution to my problems.

Thank you.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2010 Mar 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat

Are you able to open any one of your projects, even temporarily, then display the properties of any given topic? If so, please click the File tab and screen capture that. Then insert the image into this thread for us to see.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp