Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cant open robhelp file today

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

error.jpgHi All

I am on hold forever with adobe this morning.  I can't open my help file today.  I have robohelp 8 and working in robohelp for html.

Yesterday I realized my project was in the wrong path, so I copied all my files over in explorer to the correct path and went back into robohelp and worked from the correct location no problem.  Today, I cant get in and receiving an error that newfolder 2 is missing, I dont even use this folder.

I hope you can read error and help me. It wants me to delete folder from project mgr.

Also, should I install that update that is recently announced.

thanks

Caryn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like you are using source control and there is a folder inside the RH project that does not exist in the path location. Let RH create the path and then delete the folder inside RH if you don't require it. BTW there are two updates available for RH8, both of which should be installed.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a backup of the project first.

Then rename the CPD and try to open the project. Post back what happens.

Hold off with the update just now.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you were given a couple good responses. Here's a little more info that might be useful, though this would technically be for a non-source control project.

The following procedure is from an old issue where the TOC, Index or Search functionality was missing from the compiled HTML Help file. Though the old issue is no longer of concern, this procedure is useful where there is a need to branch a project (i.e., for OEMs or localization), and it is desirable that there be distinct filenames used for the branched project.

1. Create a backup of the entire project folder

2. Delete *.xpj and *.cpd file.

3. Rename the hhc and the hhk files to match the name of the hhp file.

(i.e. ProjectName.hhp, ProjectName.hhc, ProjectName.hhk)

4. Open the HHP file in Notepad.

5. Delete everything in the Windows Section

6. Find all instances of: "Index File=yourproject.hhk" and change them to the new file name

7. Find all instances of : "Contents File=yourproject.hhc" and change them to the new file name

8. Close and Save the hhp file.

9. Right click on the hhp file and select edit

10. This will open your project in RoboHTML and the contents should now be included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the XPJ should not be necessary although just a couple of times I have seen it make a difference. The downside is you lose a lot of project settings as described in the aforementioned article.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

thanks for fast reponse.  I have not heard back from adobe yet.

I do have a copy of my project on our shared server and they perform backups here.

column - how can i delete the folder inside robohelp if i cant get in my project file?

Eager - I am having trouble following the directions - way to advance.

What else can i try first that might be easier?

is this related to the updates that I need to do at some point?

I can open other projects no problem.

thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i renamed the cpd folder and now i can open my project but lots of my pages are missing?

is that because i renamed the file?

now what?

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it is because there was a bug in RH8 that was fixed in the 802 patch.

That is covered in my topic on Opening Projects.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not disagreeing with anything Eager Beager has said but you are dealing with a specific problem and I have just pointed you to a topic that covers that. Your choice as which solution you want to follow.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied all my files over..seems to be working now.  Not sure what happened.

thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found a problem I was having earlier (i still cant get one html page to work).  Looks

like in my project manager area for my project files for some reason they were saving under a "new folder" not in my c drive.

I dont know why.  I copied html pages to my c drive path.  for some reason i cant get my address html page to work in my application for field level help.   I noticed the name of my file on top has an asterisk at the end of the name, what does that mean?

How do i get this page to be found?

I have the write file name and map id's.

Sending screen shot.

thanks

Carynaddress tab.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what my problem is?

Can i please call one of you guys tomorrow and maybe you could please walk me thru how to fix it?

I am in CST.

thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That isn't really the way the forum works. This is a user to user forum, not Adobe Support.

If you tell us the problem, we can likely help you anyway.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2010 Mar 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

Here is exactly what is happening with my file, I just do not know how to fix it.  If you can please help me get it working this morning that would be great! Thanks ahead of time for all of your support.

Application

1.  I have one address html page that is not working for field level help.  Says page not found.

2.  My drop down to retrieve the complete help file is retrieving the wrong html page.

3.  I am not confident all my html pages are coming from correct folder in my c drive.

4.  application resides in c drive

I/E

1.  My project files reside in 3 locations but I work off c drive.  My c drive (correct path) a "new folder" which I dont want and the shared drive (copy of project that gets backed up).

Robohelp

1.  My address html page is in the right folder location. (not working in application).

2.  All pages in t.o.c are in new folder path on c drive i dont want.

3.  Only address tab shows in correct folder in project mgmt all other show in the "new folder."

How do I make sure all my t.o.c pages are coming from right path in robohelp and show up in right path in robohelp without messing up my map ids?

thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I am not the only one to look at your explanation and not be able to follow it.

Maybe adding some inline screenshots would help (use the camera icon).

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did detail ir correctly, not sure what else you need.

Again, how do i change the location of my t.o.c help files so they are in the correct path on my c drive and html pages in project mgr without messing up my map id's, index, etc.

thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screen shots

project mgr > new folder (i dont want)

page properties of t.oc - showing coming from new folder

tocpage properties.jpgproject mgr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

When I look at what you wrote, I see all sorts of questions. I'll copy what you wrote and ask there.

Application

1.  I have one address html page that is not working for field level help.  Says page not found.

I'm unsure of the output here. Then again, I'm guilty of not reading completely through the thread. I've been busy making movies.

2.  My drop down to retrieve the complete help file is retrieving the wrong html page.

Depending on your output, could be a CHM or could be WebHelp or FlashHelp. But that sounds like you simply haven't defined the default topic properly.

3.  I am not confident all my html pages are coming from correct folder in my c drive.

For compiling/generating? Or when you summon help from the application?

Normally CHM files are used for applications that exist on the C drive.

I/E

1.  My project files reside in 3 locations but I work off c drive.  My c drive (correct path) a "new folder" which I dont want and the shared drive (copy of project that gets backed up).

Not sure how that factors into I/E. Assuming here that I/E means Internet Explorer?

Robohelp

1.  My address html page is in the right folder location. (not working in application).

Does "address html page" mean a RoboHelp topic named "address.htm"?

Are you meaning the TOC has links to locations you don't wish to see? If so, change the location in the RoboHelp application. Pretty simple to do.

3.  Only address tab shows in correct folder in project mgmt all other show in the "new folder."

I'm not sure what you mean with "address tab" showing in a correct folder.

I'm thinking it might be beneficial for you to download and install Jing (it's a free product to use) and record a demo that you can link us to for us to see what is happening as if we were looking over your shoulder while you describe it. Maybe then it will make more sense.

http://www.jingproject.com

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Application*

1.  I have one address html page that is not working for field level help.  Yes - it wont find page unless I am able to move it to my correct path location from robohelp than my field level help will work.

Depending on your output, could be a CHM or could be WebHelp or FlashHelp. But that sounds like you simply haven't defined the default topic properly. I checked and my detault topic looks right - again correct path?

For compiling/generating? Or when you summon help from the application? see above?

Normally CHM files are used for applications that exist on the C drive. yes that was just to let you know/

*I/E*

Not sure how that factors into I/E. Assuming here that I/E means Internet Explorer? yes

*Robohelp*

Does "address html page" mean a RoboHelp topic named "address.htm"? yes

Are you meaning the TOC has links to locations you don't wish to see? If so, change the location in the RoboHelp application. Pretty simple to do. Yes exactly, I am stuck please tell me how to do this in both t.o.c and project mgr without messing up my map id, index, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean with "address tab" showing in a correct folder. this is the only page that has the correct path but it is not working in application

ALSO, i noticed I am having the same problem with the wrong path on a different help file i am also working on.

Please reply

thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robohelp error.jpg

Does anyone know why I keep on getting a robohelp error when i try to open my robohelp file and it kicks me out of Robohelp completely?

Adobe says my support plan has ended and they cant help me.

robohelp error2.jpg

thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is this project zipped up?

Are you able to share it?

Don't send yet, just reply to above.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

FYI, just a reminder, I seem to have this as an ongoing problem in my C drive.  It appears I can open my robohelp project files from my shared server no problem.  Also, I think this "new folder" that is created in my c drive is a problem.

An example project file that i am having this problem is 35,774kb is that too big to send you?

Remember, all of my project files reside on my c drive so it is possible I have a leftover file here that goes with a different project.

Let me know what to do

thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, following this thread is a nightmare so first can you summarise the current situation as far as the file you want to send me is concerned. What in bullet point format are the issues with it?

Post that and likely I'll then ask for the file.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

I dont know why I am getting this error i am guessing it is related to my previous problems.

If you willing to share your time and look at my project and try to figure out why I can't open it from my c drive.

That is a great start.

I appreciate the help

Can you interpret the error?

1.     All project files reside in my c drive with my application

2.  Some of my files in the past were going to a folder in c drive called "new folder."  i dont know why and dont want it to.  I re-mapped these files correctly.

3. I can open my project files from the shared server ok.

Let me know if i can begin with sharing my files and looking at errors.

Thanks

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Zip it up and send it. Include a link to this thread. I won't be looking at it tonight.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp