Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zoom Search + Highlight, Exclude Bookmarks

Contributor ,
Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've used Zoom Search for about 2 years with few Homesite HTML projects and am now incorporating Zoom Search into a Robohelp project. So far, so good.

I've followed Peter's suggestions, tweaked for my needs. Again, so far, so goo.   I added the highlighting option (jump to match and highlight search words).  It works as expected, but I'm having an issue that it's highlighting bookmarks, when the search terms matches a word in the bookmark.  This isn't ideal, and it causes a big issue when the matched search word is in the bookmark and at the bottom of the page.  The "jump" in this case stops at the top of the page because the bookmark is the first occurrence of the word.  Technically, this is correct, but from a user's perspective, it's not so great.

To exclude portions of the page from being indexed by Zoom one uses the <!--ZOOMSTOP--> and <!--ZOOMRESTART--> tags, which works as expected with RoboHelp.  My issue is that the bookmark code does not appear in the html file, so I can't even exclude it.  Any suggestions?

I was going to post this in Zoom's forum, but I have a feeling they'll tell me to ck in with Robohelp.

thanks in advance........

--j

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Mar 12, 2010 Mar 12, 2010

I just responded to the Zoom forum posting on this subject, in which I suggested manually adding the breadcrumbs placeholder into the topics, instead of using the global layout selection, thereby only requiring a one-off addition of the <!--ZOOMSTOP--> and <!--ZOOMRESTART--> tags (which RH no longer strips out as it once did). Helpware's FAR tool makes quick work of this, if the user decides on this method.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a ZoomSearch issue so try there. Their forum is good.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH, I meant BREADCRUMBS......not bookmarks! How can I exclude "breadcrumbs" from being highlighted?

oopsie.....

I'll ck Zoom's forum (I've been there several times in the past, thanks!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes a huge difference. I would expect ZoomSearch people to know about bookmark issues but not breadcrumbs.

The breadcrumbs are in the output files which is what I base my search on. In the output the breadcrumbs precede the text and I would have thought there must be some way to exclude that. Look in the output file to see what I mean.

Is your search based on output files or source files?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to edit the original post?

I run the Zoom indexer on the published files.

I looked at the published .htm file and I  found something, I think, related to breadcrumbs, but I have no idea how I could configure Zoom to skip it, other than add the ZOOMSTOP/RESTART comments to this file....which will be an impossible task given the # of files and the time required.

here are the lines in my published .htm file:

<!--
if (window.gbWhTopic)
{
var strUrl = document.location.href;
var bc = 0;
var n = strUrl.toLowerCase().indexOf("bc-");
if(n != -1)
{
  document.location.href = strUrl.substring(0, n);
  bc = strUrl.substring(n+3);
}

if (window.addTocInfo)
{
addTocInfo("Configuration [user]\nAttribute Mapping");
addButton("show",BTN_TEXT,"Show","","","","",0,0,"","","");

}
if (window.writeBtnStyle)
  writeBtnStyle();

if (window.writeIntopicBar)
  writeIntopicBar(1);

document.write("<p style=\"text-align:right\"> ");
AddMasterBreadcrumbs("../ugtest_zoom.htm", "", "|", "Home", "../frontpages/home.htm");
document.write("<a href=\"attrmap.htm\">Configuration [user]<\/a> | Attribute Mapping <\/p>");

if (window.setRelStartPage)
{
setRelStartPage("../ugtest_zoom.htm");

autoSync(1);
  sendSyncInfo();
  sendAveInfoOut();
}
}
else
if (window.gbIE4)
  document.location.reload();

//-->

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's interesting to note that RH search functions the same way.......breadcrumbs are highlighted when the search term matches a term in the breadcrumbs, and the "jump" stops at the top of the page.....

ech.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you know what you need to exclude, I would imagine the Zoomsearch folks can help.

Try there first.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 12, 2010 Mar 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just responded to the Zoom forum posting on this subject, in which I suggested manually adding the breadcrumbs placeholder into the topics, instead of using the global layout selection, thereby only requiring a one-off addition of the <!--ZOOMSTOP--> and <!--ZOOMRESTART--> tags (which RH no longer strips out as it once did). Helpware's FAR tool makes quick work of this, if the user decides on this method.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 12, 2010 Mar 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent.....!

I added the breadcrumb Placeholder to the pages and added the ZOOMSTOP/RESTART tags before and after, worked like a charm!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp