Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

newbie question about livecycle data services es

Level 2

Hi all.

i've downloaded the LiveCycle ES2 VMware virtual appliance, setup it up on a esxi server, workspace, content space, all are up and running, but here comes my question, how do i install livecycle data services in there?how do i set it up to start working with the rest?

i've read the documentation on how to install, but i'm a bit confused.

can anyone give me any pointers about this?

help would be appreciated

thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

1) In Workbench ES2 create a process to create a new user. If you need to create a group there is also a service to create group. Create a short-lived process using the Avoka service > Create User operation. The Create User operation has the inputs depicted below.

p.png

2) Create a process variable called 'newUserXml' of type 'xml' and declare the variable as input. Ideally, create a schema for the xml.

3) The Create User operation has a single output, a string containing the user ID. Create a process variable called 'userID' of type 'string' and declare the variable as output.

3) Save, check-in, and deploy the process.

4) To test the process, invoke the process from the Workbench. For the input variable, plug data into an xml structure such as this...

<NewUser>

<Login/>

<Password/>

<CommonName/>

<CanonicalName/>

<Description/>

<Email/>

<Initials/>

<OrgName/>

<Address/>

<Telephone/>

</NewUser>

5) If the test succeeds, you are ready to create the Flex application. If not, figure out why.

6) Build a Flex app. Once you deployed the process, the remoting endpoint is automatically created and can be accessed by Flex. Here is a stub.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" creationComplete="initChannelSet()">

<mx:Script>

<![CDATA[

import mx.messaging.channels.AMFChannel;

import mx.messaging.ChannelSet;

import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;

import mx.rpc.events.FaultEvent;

private function initChannelSet():void {

var cs:ChannelSet= new ChannelSet();

cs.addChannel(new AMFChannel("my-amf","http://localhost:8080/remoting/messagebroker/amf"));

ro.channelSet = cs;

}

private function submitRequest():void {

var newUser:XML = new XML(getXmlData());

ro.setCredentials("administrator","password");

ro.invoke({newUserXml:newUser});

}

private function remotingResultHandler(event:ResultEvent):void {

var userID:String = event.result.userID;

}

private function remotingFaultHandler(event:FaultEvent):void {

Alert.show(event.fault.faultDetail.toString());

}

private function getXmlData():String {

var xmlStr:String = "<NewUser>"

+ "<Login>" + login.text + "</Login>"

+ "<Password>" + password.text + "</Password>"

+ "<CommonName>" + commonName.text + "</CommonName>"

+ "</NewUser>>";

return (xmlStr);

}

]]>

</mx:Script>

<mx:RemoteObject id="ro" destination="MyApplication/processes/CreateNewUser"

result="remotingResultHandler(event)" fault="remotingFaultHandler(event)"/>

<mx:VBox>

UI goes here...

<mx:Button label="Submit" click="submitRequest()"/>

</mx:VBox>

</mx:Application>

Steve

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Level 2

anyone???

can anyone give any pointers about this?????

Former Community Member

As I think you realize, LiveCycle Data Services ES has a separate installer from LiveCycle ES. When you run the LiveCycle Data Services installer you can choose to install stand-alone, which installs LiveCycle Data Services with Tomcat, or you can install to an existing J2EE application server including the application server hosting LiveCycle.

In either case the installer includes lcds-samples.war which includes samples, an HSQL database, and the sample source code. It is a great place to start with LiveCycle Data Services.

Steve

Level 2

sorry for the late response.

ok, i've seen that the installer works as a standalone, or with an tomcat server that is installed, i've set it up to use the latter, ran the command to start the samples db.

but, can i start a flex project using the dataservices remote server?

could anyone give me some pointers on how to do this?

Former Community Member

Yes. When you create your Flex project specify the application server type as "J2EE", select "Use remote object access server", and select "LiveCycle Data Services".

p1.png

Then point the server location to Tomcat. In my case the configuration is as follows....

p2.png

Steve

Level 2

so the principle should be the same for the remote service right?

Former Community Member

Can you clarify what LC DS features you want to use? Is you primary interest remoting to access server-side Java services?

Level 2

my goal is to create a component in flex that connects to a livecycle es 2 server and creates or deletes a user,which is also applied to a group.

so maybe i'm heading in the wrong direction, do i need to use dataservices, or can i bypass lcds and interact directly with the lc es 2 server and perform the tasks i need to do?

i'm a little puzzled with this, as i said, i'm a newbie in this.

so any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Former Community Member

OK. Yes, you do not need LC Data Services ES to get this done. You can go straight through the API.

Go to http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/9.0/programLC/help/index.html

API Quick Starts (Code Examples)

User Manager API Quick Starts

and you will see some sample source code for managing users and groups.

Steve

Level 2

for what i'm looking with the api, my application will be developed using eclipse right? and then? how do i proceed?

or can i use workbench and interact directly? create my app through there and then how to access to it? using flash remoting for instance?

Former Community Member

How you choose to use the APIs is up to you. For the Java API you can use Eclipse, if that is your tool of choice, and build Java classes, servlets, EJBs, etcetera. You do not need to use remoting at all. You will connect to the server through JNDI and then use one of the service clients for each of the primary services.

Steve

Level 2

could you give some pointers on how to do this? using JNDI and flex and also how to talk to livecycle es2?

Level 2

i've been searching and came up with nothing usefull, could anyone please give some pointers on how to connect to the livecycle es 2 server using jndi using flex builder?

Former Community Member

My reference to JNDI is specific to the Java API.

For Flex see http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/9.0/programLC/help/index.html

Invoking LiveCycle ES2 Using APIs > Invoking LiveCycle ES2 Using LiveCycle Remoting

Level 2

if i'm reading this right, i just need to import the livecycle library to my project, define the remote object and call the livecycle service i need right? or create my own custom components and upload them to livecycle and "call" them on my application am i right? for instance which destination in the remote object should i use to create a user?

Level 2

i'm almost loosing it, i've been reading and testing but no avail, so which is the service i need to call in order to create a user? or as the documentation mentions i need to create the custom component using java and then integrating it with livecycle, and then call it from my app?

also i've created an application using workbench es to see if the service i need is there, but it's not listed.

help would be appreciated

thanks again

Level 2

anyone?

can anyone give any pointers?

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

1) In Workbench ES2 create a process to create a new user. If you need to create a group there is also a service to create group. Create a short-lived process using the Avoka service > Create User operation. The Create User operation has the inputs depicted below.

p.png

2) Create a process variable called 'newUserXml' of type 'xml' and declare the variable as input. Ideally, create a schema for the xml.

3) The Create User operation has a single output, a string containing the user ID. Create a process variable called 'userID' of type 'string' and declare the variable as output.

3) Save, check-in, and deploy the process.

4) To test the process, invoke the process from the Workbench. For the input variable, plug data into an xml structure such as this...

<NewUser>

<Login/>

<Password/>

<CommonName/>

<CanonicalName/>

<Description/>

<Email/>

<Initials/>

<OrgName/>

<Address/>

<Telephone/>

</NewUser>

5) If the test succeeds, you are ready to create the Flex application. If not, figure out why.

6) Build a Flex app. Once you deployed the process, the remoting endpoint is automatically created and can be accessed by Flex. Here is a stub.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" creationComplete="initChannelSet()">

<mx:Script>

<![CDATA[

import mx.messaging.channels.AMFChannel;

import mx.messaging.ChannelSet;

import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;

import mx.rpc.events.FaultEvent;

private function initChannelSet():void {

var cs:ChannelSet= new ChannelSet();

cs.addChannel(new AMFChannel("my-amf","http://localhost:8080/remoting/messagebroker/amf"));

ro.channelSet = cs;

}

private function submitRequest():void {

var newUser:XML = new XML(getXmlData());

ro.setCredentials("administrator","password");

ro.invoke({newUserXml:newUser});

}

private function remotingResultHandler(event:ResultEvent):void {

var userID:String = event.result.userID;

}

private function remotingFaultHandler(event:FaultEvent):void {

Alert.show(event.fault.faultDetail.toString());

}

private function getXmlData():String {

var xmlStr:String = "<NewUser>"

+ "<Login>" + login.text + "</Login>"

+ "<Password>" + password.text + "</Password>"

+ "<CommonName>" + commonName.text + "</CommonName>"

+ "</NewUser>>";

return (xmlStr);

}

]]>

</mx:Script>

<mx:RemoteObject id="ro" destination="MyApplication/processes/CreateNewUser"

result="remotingResultHandler(event)" fault="remotingFaultHandler(event)"/>

<mx:VBox>

UI goes here...

<mx:Button label="Submit" click="submitRequest()"/>

</mx:VBox>

</mx:Application>

Steve

Level 2

sorry about the late response, thanks for the help.

it worked like a charm, it's connecting and creating users and groups.

thanks once again. and sorry if i was a little bit annoying, and newb about this.

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----