• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Indexes, Stop List and Always Ignore

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2010 Mar 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experimenting with the Smart Index Wizard and want to use the Stop List, Always Ignore List and Phrase List to control what keywords it generates.  However, I am a little confused about the difference between the Stop List and Always Ignore list.  I have read the help, but all it says is that the Stop List is for common words, such as conjunctions, and the Always Ignore list is for keywords.  That would be fine, except the default lists contain many of the same words (even though they are disparate files).  To add further confusion, the Stop List can only be 512 characters long (as though I’m going to count), which leads me to wonder why you would even both with it?  Am I missing some subtle, but crucial differences between these two lists or can I just use the Always Ignore list and ignore the Stop List?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 12, 2010 Mar 12, 2010

The difference between the two is that one is index related and the other is search related. The Ignore List is used when using the automatic indexing feature of RH and ignores the words or phrases in the text when deciding what index keywords to add. The Stop List is designed to ignore ceratin words that create "noise" when searching for topics. Typically this are short words (e.g. "a", "to", "an" etc.).

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The difference between the two is that one is index related and the other is search related. The Ignore List is used when using the automatic indexing feature of RH and ignores the words or phrases in the text when deciding what index keywords to add. The Stop List is designed to ignore ceratin words that create "noise" when searching for topics. Typically this are short words (e.g. "a", "to", "an" etc.).

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, well that is significant.  All RoboHelp's manual says is:

You can create a list of words or phrases that the Smart Index wizard ignores. This list is the Always Ignore list.

and

You can create a list of common words (such as a) that the Smart Index wizard ignores. This list is the Stop list.

So you can understand my confusion.  Your explanation makes it crystal clear.  Thanks, Colum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp