• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maximum size

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2010 Mar 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! I must create a file for an advertisement sign which is long 16 meters.

The maximum size of the Illustrator file is about 5,7 meters.

They told me that I can draw a little sign with the right proportions, for example 4 meters in lenght, as long as I give a high definition (dpi) to the file.

How can I do that?

Thank you very much for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2010 Mar 14, 2010

up,

Just to receive confirmation: to set the resolution in PPI I must do it with Photoshop, is it ok? I must open the Illustrator file in Photoshop and click Image > Image size, is it right?

You may rasterize and use raster effects in Illy, and you may place images. There is no need to go to Photoshop unless you wish to change the pixel size (the combination of resolution and actual size) of images.

And if you save as PDF, you may keep everything vector as vector.

The reminder about resolution was o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

upthathill,

As long as you work in vector, as opposed to raster (as in JPEG, TIFF, PNG, GIF, etc) you may create the artwork in any size; it would be easier in 1.6 metres (1:10).

When you apply raster, as effects, images, rasterization, etc, you will have to set the resolution in PPI (picxels per inch not DPI dots per inch) high enough to give the right resolution in print (DPI) when scaled (if you want 150 DPI, use 1500 PPI in 1:10, etc).

You may also create a PDF in 1:10, so there is no need to scale at all; just print it, or have it printed, at the final size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jacob!

Everything is clearer now.

Just to receive confirmation: to set the resolution in PPI I must do it with Photoshop, is it ok? I must open the Illustrator file in Photoshop and click Image > Image size, is it right?

While waiting for your answer, I thank you again.

🙂

up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

up,

You may rasterize and use raster effects in Illy, and you may place images. There is no need to go to Photoshop unless you wish to change the pixel size (the combination of resolution and actual size) of images.

And if you save as PDF, you may keep everything vector as vector.

The reminder about resolution was only meant to ensure the right resolution when scaled up, if there is raster artwork involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. To sum up:

There are 2 cases:

1) Vector artwork (both Illustrator and pdf) : any size (right proportions)

2) Raster stuff included: I should enhance resolution to be sure of the printed result.

Mine is the 2nd case.

1st question:

I modified the file as you adviced me to do: 1,6 metres (scale 1:10)

If I want a 300 dpi printing resolution, I should set the ppi value at 3000 (in accordance with your example) but then a message appears: "the value must be included between 1 and 2400). So?

2nd question:

If I raster with Photoshop the entire file (Image > Image size) it accepts the value. But maybe it is wrong what I did: I rasterized all the Illustrator file (images + vector elements), while there is no need to rasterize vector elements, right? Only the images included in the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to tell it to you a little different.

In Illustrator work at half size or 1/4 size.

Place the images scaled in photoshop as linked. Make sure the images are either half the dimensions at twice the resolution or quarter the size at 4 times the resolution.

Output at either 200 or 400%

10% must be a windows thing.

True it does not matter but it is easier to work with less numbers rather than more numbers as you would all those digits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

up,

If I want a 300 dpi printing resolution, I should set the ppi value at 3000 (in accordance with your example) but then a message appears: "the value must be included between 1 and 2400). So?

The question is whether you need 300 DPI at 16 metres, but if you hit the resolution limit you will have to use a more moderate scaling, as suggested by Wade.

I suggested 1:10 because that gives the same figures, just moving the . one step to the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question Jacob ask is correct d you really need 300ppi I would think the maximum would be 125 ppi and probably 72 would be more than enough.

I think you have to address Jacob's observation first.

Jacob I was told that though doing it  1/10 is convenient it is to easy to move the decimal the wrong number of places over and not notice it until too late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand now.

Thank you very much guys!

up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, up.

It is true that ease may lead to error, but I should have thought it would be rather evident in a drawing if you got it one or two decades wrong.

On the other hand I agree that everyone should work in the safest possible way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe what they are talking about is the rastor effects and resolution which relates to the finishing side of production.  You will find it under the effects menu.  If you are enlarging your print on the Printer side you need to set the rastor effects and resolution higher because the Printer won't do it automatically.  For instance if your file is set to 300 dpi and you scale it to 400% on the printer all of your effects and line art will be ripped at 75 dpi, which is still fine because the human eye can't really see any higher resolution than that, but if your file was set to 72 dpi it would only be 18 dpi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines