11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 5:11 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Poor quality in after effects

iam0_o

I have been editing a project for the last few weeks and (stupidly) this is the first time I have watched the edited footage in full screen.  Everything I messed with in AE is very blocky looking compared to the raw DV footage I started with.  My settings are as such:

I go to Coposition -> make movie, and save as an uncompressed avi.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Poor quality in after effects
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You say that you're watching "full-screen". Do you mean that you're expanding the movie to fill an entire computer monitor? If so, then that is the source of the blockiness and poor quality. If you're working with DV-sized footage and outputting to a DV-sized movie, then you're working with a movie that is 480 pixels tall. Depending on your computer monitor, scaling that up in your movie player means scaling up by a factor of 3 or so, which is going to look blocky and bad.

Or did I misunderstand what you're seeing and doing?

• 2. Re: Poor quality in after effects
            iam0_o Level 1

Yes I was expanding the movie.  I see what your saying about expanding the video.  And yes the video is 480 pixels tall.  The thing is though, if I veiw the unedited 720*480 source and then view the edited copy, there is a noticable difference in qualtiy.  I just dont know what I am doing wrong.

• 3. Re: Poor quality in after effects
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you post screenshots that show the difference, it's a lot more likely that someone can explain the difference. It also wouldn't hurt to post details of composition settings, footage interpretation settings, and version numbers of the software that you're using.

• 4. Re: Poor quality in after effects
                iam0_o Level 1

Here is the after effects shot

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1658/36899721.png

And here is an unedited

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4767/sequence01.png

It looks like it isn't scaling right :/

On full screen the AE one looks like its been scaled incorrectly.  Going to try and mess with scaling options.

Edit, didn't help much

• 5. Re: Poor quality in after effects
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

And what kind of footage is this, exactly? Interpretation settings? Composition settings? Render settings? Output module settings? Version of After Effects?

• 6. Re: Poor quality in after effects
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I overlaid one of these on top of the other and used the Difference blending mode to see how they differed. One thing jumped out that didn't even require such detail work:

You scaled your original up in After Effects, didn't you? When you scale something up, you lose quality. That's not surprising at all. Why are you scaling up this slight amount? I recommend against that. If all that you're doing is applying an effect to the original and then rendering and exporting it, there's no need to scale the footage up a tiny bit as you've done.

• 7. Re: Poor quality in after effects
                      iam0_o Level 1

It was scaled to help counter the video going off screen  (I added Camera shake).  Guess I didn't think about the scale.  Thanks for the help

• 8. Re: Poor quality in after effects
                        iam0_o Level 1

Actaully I am looking at other renders (that dont scale) and even there the quality is not the same as the originals.  Here is the information I know how to get:

DV film (AVI)

Render settings:  Video for windows, embed project link, RGB, Millions of colors, premulitplied (matted),

Using AE CS3

• 9. Re: Poor quality in after effects
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

OK, so that's interlaced source footage. Did you separate fields?

You said that you added camera shake. Are you maybe seeing blurring from motion blur?

> Here is the information I know how to get

This is a bit of a red flag. If you aren't familiar with the basics of various settings, then maybe it would be a good idea to take a step back and work on the basics first. I recommend starting here: "Getting started with After Effects"

• 10. Re: Poor quality in after effects
                            kayzerszosse Level 1

hi,

i have a similar problem - maybe one of you can help me?

I have created a 320x240 composition with images etc.

Now i want to produce this in high res so i created a HD720 comp and placed the 'layout' comp inside and scaled it up.

But i am losing all the resolution even though the images i have used are having anough resolution for a 720p!!!!

Where are the settings to pass through the resolution in the scaled composition? What am i doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

• 11. Re: Poor quality in after effects
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>

i have a similar problem - maybe one of you can help me?

I have created a 320x240 composition with images etc.

Now i want to produce this in high res so i created a HD720 comp and placed the 'layout' comp inside and scaled it up.

But i am losing all the resolution even though the images i have used are having anough resolution for a 720p!!!!

Where are the settings to pass through the resolution in the scaled composition? What am i doing wrong?

If you scale an image up from 240 pixels tall to 720 pixels tall, you will lose quality.

Yours is a special case, though, since you have scaled some images down to 240 and then want to scale them back up to 720 (their original size). If that's all that's going on, then you can collapse transformations so that the two scaling operations are collapsed into one and no quality is lost.

Here's an excerpt from the page in After Effects Help that describes  collapsing  transformations :

"Collapsing transformations can, for example, preserve resolution when a layer is scaled down by half in a nested composition, and the nested composition is scaled up by a factor of two in the containing composition. In this case, rather than performing both transformations and losing image data in the process, one transformation can be performed—doing nothing, because the  individual transformations cancel each other."

That said, you should really design your composition at the frame dimension of your largest output. Planning your work and starting with the right settings can save you a lot of headaches later.