• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible to have both an index and TOC open by default?

Mar 16, 2010 Mar 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH7 (I have RH 8 but don't use it since it buggers up formatting from previous versions) and I publish wbhelp.

Is it possible to set BOTH the Index and TOC to display as open when the project is posted. When I generate a primary layout, I can only slect one as default in the second screen (Wbhelp navigation).

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly not out of the box. Maybe there is a Javascript solution but even that I doubt would work. The tri-pane tabs are designed to work with only one tab displayed at any one time.

Other users would also be interested in knowing what formatting does not come across well in RH8. Maybe we could help you with that.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colum. I was hoping that I could display both the TOC on the left and the index on the right along with the main content. Many of my users don't twig to the fact that they can toggle between index and TOC displays (or even that they can click on the TOC button to open a contents pane).

Among other things, RH8 mangles bulletted lists (I have many): it changes the indents and the bullet styles.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain John. Maybe if you had a "How to use the help" section at the start of the TOC? Maybe you could even embed a little Captivate movie if you have access to it.

As for the RH8 lists, you may want to post a seperate quey about those with some more detail. I'm sure we can find a solution for you.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Colum's reply on lists, there have already been many posts on this and Willam Van Weelden has provided a lot of useful information in response.

There is also something about lists in http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/index.htm

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Colum. Yes, I have recorded a captivate video tutorial, put my users mostly ignore it.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We feel your pain. How about making the topic that links to the movie the default topic of your help file. That way they'd get to see it every time they open the help. Failing that, try a sledgehammer over their cranium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp