• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash on Mac

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!  Adobe Flash player is loaded on my Mac 10. The Adobe Flash will not work.  Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've uninstalled with the Adobe uninstaller.  Then reinstalled The Flash 10.  The program is in my Library, but will not work.  I have spent days on this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jr, what browser (s) are you using to install FP?

Here is a thread that may be of help: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/597056?tstart=0

Here is an Adobe site with info on FP for Mac:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that without ShockWave, and Air installed & updated, Flash Player gave me trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CowboyInAZ, that is informative. I'm not too familiar with Mac as most on here can tell. My sister has a new iMac but it is so different than a PC, so hard for me to find anything on it. It seems that in the last few days we have had more Mac

threads than usual. Thanks for your input.

Oh, I took a look at your website, nice and your credentials too:-)

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I tell people all the time that OS X and Windows function basically the same. Double click and things open in the program they're supposed to.

I've been "bi-lingual" since 2003 and as I learn Linux, I'm becoming "tri-lingual". It helps when helping people from all walks of PC life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the response.  eidnolb, have been through both of those threads yesterday.  They were helpful, but have not solved my problem.  Cowboy, I did download shockwave, although when I check my library, the file is disabled.  I cannot figure out what to do about that.  Maybe, uninstall and reinstall?  Have there been problems with that application as well?    I'll check out air.  Thanks for the help.  Any tips for this problem is greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 more thing!  I use Firefox as the browser.  Tried sufari first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jr, If the Shockwave Player is in the Library, can you not enable it? Also if you use the FF browser and go to this site

what happens? http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about 

I know what Flash files you need to have installed and the SWF plug-in. My problem is that I don't know where they are

in Mac in order to tell you to find them and post back what is there and the version numbers.

Where is a Cowboy when you need one?

Does this mean I need to visit the Apple site?:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahahaha.

When I follow the adobe link, it states that I have flash version 10.0.45.2 installed.  I cannot activate shockwave like cowboy suggests.  I have tried dragging it to my applications file, but it won't accept it.  I did manage to trash the disable folder for shockwave and reload the latest version, but it still won't apply the application.  The latest version of adobe air was already installed on my computer when I bought it.  I can't figure out what SWF is.  I can probably find it if you let me know what that is.

I sent an email to adobe for help, and they replied that it's a free application.  Can't believe they won't stand behind a product because it's free.  what kind of ethics are those.  Enough of my rant.  haha

Thanks eidnolb,

jr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jr, that was me that suggested  to enable Shockwave Player:-) I don't want him to get blamed for any of my Mac suggestions since I'm certainly not "bi-lingual". At least not relating to computers.

Well at least the message you got was positive when you went to the test site, too bad it doesn't work. LOL

Oh, SWF is Shockwave Flash. It is a plug-in for FF and other browsers. I certainly hope that is what it is in Mac.

Hey, do you think support wants to get into all of this troubleshooting? Ha-Ha. That's ok, that is what we are here for:-)

I think I'm going to the Apple site and recruite, we could use some Mac experts over here.

Hey, I rant too. My latest was at MS.

Do you have quick time or any other programs that use plug-ins? That is where SWF should be. If you find it make sure it

is vs 10.0.45.2 and enabled. If there is more than one, that is not good. Remove the old one if that is the case.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically speaking, SWFs are Flash files. I'm taking a Flash animation course right now and that's the first thing they taught us. FLAs are the raw, editable files, and SWFs are the published, viewable in Flash Player or browser, files.

Is Shockwave is installed, it should be activated. You can see if it's installed by looking in the library folder:

shockwave.jpg

You should see all of those folders.

You can always try dumping the Flash and Shockwave preferences then try launching Flash Player or viewing an SWF in Firefox.

Users\Library\Preferences... and delete these if they're in the folder:

flprefs.jpg

swprefs.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CowboyInAZ, So the library then is where all of the programs are listed. Now I see the Shockwave Player 11, but since Flash Player is not a program then that is why it is not listed in the library.

Where are the add ons listed then? Are they all under plug-ins?

And the Flash Player files themselves, they must be listed somewhere other than the library.

The ActiveX Control in IE is called Shockwave Flash Object since that it what Microsoft uses(activex controls)

Firefox refers to the same control as SWF and they use plug-ins and not activex controls.

Thanks for the info and explanation.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cowboy,

I've been through my system.  I noticed that in your system the shockwave is found in your applications.  On my system, the shockwave is found in the HD, in the library, in the file for internet plug-ins.  In the internet plug-ins file, it is listed as DirectorShockwave.plugin, Flash Player.plugin and flashplayer.xpt.  Information on DirectorShockwave.plugin is version 11.5.6r606.  The creation, modification, and last opened all list the same date and  time.  The only place that lists the label Shockwave 11 is on the HD, in the library, application support, Adobe, then shockwave 11.

I found shockwave uninstaller in my downloads file, and used it.  My previous research said to manually remove.  I reinstalled, and the same text, DirectorShockwave.plugin appear.

Although adobe verifys the file, it is not active.

Air is located in the utilities file in applications.  what I see there is air application installer and unistaller.  I can do nothing else with it except see additional info.

I don't know that air is active either.  the last used date and time is the same as creation and modified.  The progress I seem to have made is that additional info for flash player plug in has a modified and used date and time that is from yesterday, which may be a reload.

My head is spinning, and I think I am starting to grow moss on my North side!  ahahaha

Does this make any sense?  Any insight?

Thanks for your help,

j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi jr, now my head is spinning. I am just going to voice my opinion on a couple of things and also put down how the Flash Player works in a PC. I don't understand why Flash Player would work any differently in a Mac. Where the FP files are located I don't know as I have stated.

The following FP files in a PC are: Flash10e.ocx, FlashUtil10e.exe, Uninstall_activex.exe and the install.log. These are the Flash Player files if the user is only using IE. For Firefox or other browsers, they are different since they are plug-ins.

In addition and working with those mentioned files, in the add-ons there is the Shockwave Flash Object...ActiveX Control..Flash10e.ocx (latest version 10.0.45.2) and it must be enabled.

If a user is only using IE as their browser, then those FP files and the SWO are the only ones needed for Flash Player to work.

Now for my opinion: I have read what the Shockwave Player and Adobe Air is for, and I don't need it nor would I have any use for it and therefore do not have either one installed. I have not had any problem with Flash Player, whether watching videos, on-line radio stations, streaming of any kind, or watching live TV via the Internet. I have never encounterd any site whatsoever that I have not been able to view or use due to not having Shockwave Player and/or Adobe Air.

I understand it has been suggested that some websites require the Shockwave Player and I am not saying that may not be so. All I am saying is that I have never encountered any. I do not install anything on my system that I do not need or would not use. I am not a Developer and do not write applications; I am what I think, a typical computer user and all I want is for the Adobe Flash Player to work and it does. And this is  what I have found by helping on the Adobe Flash Forum the majority of users want also.

Thanks for listening

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines