Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to record--shuts down after clicking record button

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Simply put, I'm unable to record in Captivate.  Here's a quick workflow breakdown:

1. Open Captivate

2. Create new project

3. Select application/custom window size

4. Click "record" button on top left of application/window

Once this is done, the recording box disappears, and Captivate vanishes (still running in background).  From there I can open Captivate through my Start menu, but it opens a separate application, not the original.  The only way to close that is by ending the task.

Any ideas?  I recently updated to the newest patch, and don't remember experiencing this before.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Hi again

You might try clobbering the settings file.

Close Captivate

Open Windows Explorer

Navigate to the following location:

?:\Documents and Settings\??\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Captivate

? = Drive letter

?? = Your logged in user name

Delete the captivate_v40.dat file you should find there (or rename it if you are hinky about deleting files)

Restart Captivate

Note that this operation may require you to adjust Windows Explorer so it allows you to view these files. Typically you click Tools > Folder

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I suppose the first thing to do would be to check if it's something generic to Captivate or if it's instead related to the application you are trying to record using Captivate.

On a fresh restart where Captivate isn't running in this odd mode, are you able to use Captivate to record something such as Windows Notepad without issue? If so, odds are that Captivate doesn't like recording the application you are trying to record. But if you see the same behavior when trying to record Notepad, it's likely a general Captivate issue that needs addressing.

So how does Captivate behave if you try to record something like Windows Notepad?

Additionally, what is your operating system?

Windows XP 32 Bit

Windows XP 64 Bit

Windows Vista 32 Bit

Windows Vista 64 Bit

Windows 7 32 Bit

Windows 7 64 Bit

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the quick response!

I've tried recording several different programs (all on fresh restarts) with no luck.  Examples include: Word, Notepad, Lotus Notes, Internet Explorer, and Paint.

System info:

Adobe Captivate 4 - v.4.01 Build 1658

Windows: XP, service pack 3

UPDATE:

Oddly enough, it appears that it will record sporadically.  After unsucessfully trying to record Notepad (it kicked me out), I allowed Captivate to stay running in the background.  When I went in to Captivate to pull the build info, my recording had saved.  This appears to work sporadically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Sorry, but I negected to ask another important question. How exactly are you trying to record?

* Manual mode

* Demonstration

* Assessment (Training or Simulation)

* Custom

* Full Motion

There are lots of different options for recording. Something may have changed with one of the modes and you may be unaware of it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

No problem.

I've generally just choose the application, and keep it on the stock settings (Demonstration/custom).  It seems to occur no matter what mode I try.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

You might try clobbering the settings file.

Close Captivate

Open Windows Explorer

Navigate to the following location:

?:\Documents and Settings\??\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Captivate

? = Drive letter

?? = Your logged in user name

Delete the captivate_v40.dat file you should find there (or rename it if you are hinky about deleting files)

Restart Captivate

Note that this operation may require you to adjust Windows Explorer so it allows you to view these files. Typically you click Tools > Folder Options > View tab and ensure the Hide extensions for known file types and Hide protected operating system files options aren't enabled.

tmp1.png

Once you have performed these steps and restarted Captivate, it should notice that the file is missing and will bake up a fresh one on the fly.

Hopefully once you do that Captivate will begin behaving normally again. (I just wish I could do this as easily with some people and animals I know and love!)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That did the trick!  Thank you very much Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources