• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has anyone changed their email address?

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2010 Mar 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to the update page for your Adobe ID it tells you that changing your email address will change your Adobe ID.  This presumably means you would lose access to any books already bought?  In the UK most people get their email address from their ISP, so everytime you change ISP - or every time your ISP gets taken over - your email address changes.  I think Adobe have opened a can of worms with this one.  They are going to have a lot of angry customers if you lose all of your books every time you change email address.  Has anyone got any experience of this?

Chris.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told by an Adobe chat room responder in order to resolve the well known TOO Many Activations to uninstall DR and reinstall and sign on as a new user with a new email address.

This did allow me to once more recognize my eReader but none of the books I bought would transfer because they were registered with the old email address ID. Books On Board told me that Adobe was the problem and "Adobe would have to issue an additional authorization. We do not have the capability of resetting the Adobe authorization mechanism."

So here I am in catch 22 and waiting for Adobe to reset my activations which should allow me to use my original email address ID and access to the books I bought.

I'm still waiting for Adobe to respond to my case I filed. over a week ago now!

budco3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.) Don't Call Adobe for support, as at best you will get referred to opening a web case

2.) Don't use the Web Chat for suport, as at best you will get referred to opening a web case (at worst you will get bad advice)

The only real way to get support (such as it is) is to open up a web case from http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions (click on "Submit a web case")

To answer the OP's question, it will change the string associated with the AdobeID, but not the actual Acount ID number.  For the purposes of the DRM it is the Account ID number that we key off of.

--

Jim Lester

Lead Engineer - Digital Publishing

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...it will change the string associated with the AdobeID, but not the actual Acount ID number"

If this is the case why does your website specifically warn you that changing your email address will change your Adobe ID ?

Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because your view of the AdobeID is the email address, so as far as you are concerned you changing the email address changes the AdobeID. That is if you started out with an AdobeID of a@example.com and changed it to b@example.com, as far as you are concerned your AdobeID is now b@example.com"  However this does not change the underlying account ID, and it definitely doesn't change the underlying DRM account ID (which is seperate from your AdobeID account ID).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim.  Perhaps you could suggest to the people that run the website that the display should change, as it has a large yellow banner with a warning sign, stating that changing your email address WILL change your Adobe ID.  I am in a position to test this as I now have a new email address and I haven't yet bought any ebooks (just downloaded the free ones and borrowed some from a library).

Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right - I have now tried changing my email. The good news is that it seems

to be using the same account - I can see all my product registrations on the

web site as before. The bad news is that as expected it screws up access to

any existing DRM protected books on my computer.

I opened Digital Editions and it thought I was still using the old email

address. Then I did the Ctrl-Shift-D to deactivate, quit, went back in and

entered the new Adobe Id information. I then tried to read a library book

that I downloaded using my old ID....

Sony Reader Library says: "This computer is not authorized to preview this

page"

Digital Editions says: "No record for this loan is found on this machine"

This isn't a huge problem for me - I can try downloading them again from the

library. However, if I had had a large number of purchased books (and some

people may have several hundred) I wouldn't want to try to download them all

from the shop again.

It seems to me that downloads of books (whether for purchase or for loan)

use the email address as well as the underlying ID, and Adobe need to

provide a tool to update items on an authorised computer when only the email

address has changed....

I now need to try reauthorising my Sony Reader PRS600 (Touch). I'll plug it

in and follow my instincts....I'll let you know what happens!

Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to my last message....

I have now connected my Sony Reader and found the following:

1. There doesn't seem to be any way of changing the authorisation of the

reader (or it happens out of sight, automatically?).

2. Library books copied before the change of email still open OK on the

reader, but won't open in Digital Editions or in Reader Library (this

suggests that the reader uses the ID but the client software uses the email

adress - this is silly!)

3. Digital Editions was happy to copy the new versions to the reader - at

which point BOTH copies (old and new) were readable.

Is there any way of checking the authorisation on the reader? Or does it

perhaps ignore the email address and just use the underlying ID?

By the way, I do have a question open on this issue.....case no. #181494622

... so i'll update that to the same effect.

I have to say I do think having to download everything again because your

email address changes is crazy. I can foresee real problems with this in

the UK - all it takes is for a big ISP to get taken over and insist on

everyone having a new email address and Adobe are going to be inundated with

complaints. I suggest they should sort this out now before that happens!

Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2010 Mar 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just checked my support case and find they have closed the case (without asking whether I was satisfied with the answer)!

The gist was...

Chris, We appreciate your feedback, we would forward your suggestions to
our research team.

As Adobe Digital Editions, reactivated with the new email address and
working fine.As Ebooks downloaded from your local library could now not
be read in DE or in Sony Reader library.

I would request you to please get in touch with Sony, Who would assist
you deauthorizing your Sony E Reader.

I hope this information is helpful, Please feel free to revert to us for
further assistance.

...I guess the good news is that they say they will forward my suggestions...let's hope they do it before one of the big ISPs changes all their clients email addresses. 

The bad news is that they didn't actually read my reply - I didn't say the Sony reader wasn't working - and by "DE" I meant their own product (Digital Editions)!!!  Also the help on Sony re Adobe ID is "contact Adobe" - too much passing the buck going on here.

I thought Adobe was a US company - but judging by the quality of the English their product support appears to be translated from Japanese or Indian!

Anyway, I now have an email address that I shouldn't need to change (assuming it doesn't get swamped by spam) so I think I am OK for the moment, but I hope other people don't get bitten by this one.  (My advice is to keep track of where you buy all your ebooks, and check intermittently that you can download them again - as you may have to do it earnest if you ever have to change your email address).

Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines