16 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2010 1:52 AM by Jason Villmer RSS

iPhone / iPad Export

Jason Villmer Community Member

Hello,

It's been a while so I wanted to throw out the question once more regarding iPhone / iPad export. Will this feature be provided in the formal release of Flash Builder 4?

Regards,

Villmer

• 1. Re: iPhone / iPad Export
          SunilAdobe Adobe Employee

Adobe Flash CS5 when it ships will be having support for iPhone. Flash Builder 4 is already in Beta 2, but having it as part of future releases of Flash Builder might be considered.

Thanks

-Sunil

• 2. Re: iPhone / iPad Export

Sunil,

So, this has not yet been decided? I was under the impression that Flash Builder 4 would, in fact, have the iPad / iPhone export feature. Other Adobe employees have mentioned Flash Builder 4 was going to have this feature. Is this not true? Does Adobe really expect it's Flash Builder developers to additionally purchase Flash CS5?

Jason

• 3. Re: iPhone / iPad Export
              Andrew Shorten Employee Hosts

Hi Jason,

We are actively working on our plans to expose the packaging tools for iPhone OS applications to developers using Flash Builder.

Unfortunately I can't provide specific information about packaging and availability at this stage, except to say it is our intention that you will be able to use this functionality with Flash Builder in due course.

Thanks,

Andrew

Product Manager, Flash Builder

• 4. Re: iPhone / iPad Export
                John Hall Community Member

Wow, Andrew. You're up to one post now! Thanks for the info and most of us understand that your words imply full support of the iphone/iPad within a week or two ;-)

• 5. Re: iPhone / iPad Export

So, Apple and Adobe are at war regarding Flash. Now, Adobe finally has a way to break through this wall and allow the finest Flash developers to get their applications on Apple's products. One would think that a considerable amount of effort would be made by Adobe to enable all Flash development products, including Flash Builder 4, with the best tools imaginable for doing this. It appears to me that Adobe is in a constant state of 'eventually'. Flash Player 10.1 will 'eventually' make it's way to Android devices. iPad / iPhone support may 'eventually' make it's way into Flash Builder 4. All the while, developers may 'eventually' be making their way towards other development platforms. I think at this point it might be wise to definitely say whether Apple product export support will be provided in Flash Builder 4. Not a 'maybe', 'possibly' or 'eventually'.

• 6. Re: iPhone / iPad Export

It would be nice to see some of the first (and best) iPad apps being developed and deployed from Flash Builder 4. Is there an internal, private build of Flash Builder 4 that contains iPad / iPhone export support that I can sign up to test?

• 7. Re: iPhone / iPad Export

GET THE iPAD / iPHONE EXPORT SUPPORT INTO FLASH BUILDER 4 BETA 4 AND GET IT INTO THE HANDS OF DEVELOPERS!!! C'MON!! DAMN!

• 8. Re: iPhone / iPad Export

HEY ADOBE, IS THERE A NEWER BUILD OF FLASH BUILDER WITH iPAD EXPORT? IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN SIGN UP TO TEST THIS IF THERE IS? I'M VERY ANXIOUS TO GET MY APPLICATION "LUCID VIEWER" INTO THE UPCOMING iPAD. (www.lucid.it)

• 9. Re: iPhone / iPad Export
                          pauland Community Member

I think Adobe would be particularly stupid to include the iPhone export in the beta program at this stage. Might as well force people to pony up first.

• 10. Re: iPhone / iPad Export

I DISAGREE. LET'S GO ADOBE, MAKE IT HAPPEN. :-) C'MON, ALL OF US ADOBE / FLASH DEVELOPERS WANT TO SEE OUR APPS SHINE ON THESE DEVICES. WOULDN'T IT BE NICE TO SEE SOME OF THE FIRST (AND BEST) APPS ON THE iPAD BE DEVELOPED BY ADOBE FLASH DEVELOPERS? DOES 'NO' REALLY SEEM LIKE AN OPTION?

• 11. Re: iPhone / iPad Export
                              pauland Community Member

Any chance of not shouting?

• 12. Re: iPhone / iPad Export
                                David_F57 Community Member

Hi Jason,

One small problem about your request(apart from the 'shouting'), Flashbuilder has been locked for release, and there will be no more beta's. Flex Slider is not available in any shape or form outside of Adobe so one would guess that there is a way to go before Flashbuilder will have true mobile support built in.

So Flash CS5 will give you the ability to create native i-phone apps one would hope that its not to much of a stretch to extend that to the i-pad(still not sure just what sort of market share an overpriced Kindle can get but its a mac so anything could happen).

What I can't figure out is why when tablets with multi-tasking OS's have been around for years Apple has once again delivered aging technology in a shiny package, maybe i-pad was supposed to be a really big screen i-phone but there wasn't enough space for the phone bits to fit in .

David.

• 13. Re: iPhone / iPad Export

What can I say? Really. Always a shroud of mystery involved in all this. When will Flash Builder be released? Who knows, nobody can 'formally' say. Will it contain iPhone / iPad export? Hmm. Not sure, maybe - but who knows when.

In regards to the tablets I'm personally looking forward to a new form factor. Both the iPad and HP Slate look great and I would certainly enjoy seeing advanced Flash based applications running on them both. Who wouldn't?

Do people who read CAPITAL text really hear it louder in their head when they read it? Amazing in 2010 people actually get upset because TEXT is SHOUTING at them. Lol.

Anyway, GET THAT iPAD / iPHONE SUPPORT IN FLASH BUILDER ADOBE! :-)

• 14. Re: iPhone / iPad Export
                                    pauland Community Member

Jason Villmer wrote:

What can I say? Really. Always a shroud of mystery involved in all this. When will Flash Builder be released? Who knows, nobody can 'formally' say. Will it contain iPhone / iPad export? Hmm. Not sure, maybe - but who knows when.

I knows when. NOW!

Mystery over.

• 15. Re: iPhone / iPad Export
                                      David_F57 Community Member

Hi Jason,

Believe it or not caps do create a an effect when read, its actually more difficult to interpret context as punctuation tends to get ignored, proper case gives a textual inflection to a conversation , sentences blend into each other etc... etc..

I love technology, it just annoys me that for several years now Apple have chosen to deliberately leave important bits out when marketing something, with ipod it was simple data transfer between device and computer, with iphone it was 3g, hi-resolution touch and multi-tasking, with i-pad its again touch resolution and multi-tasking( its the multi-tasking that make me a little concerned, maybe thats why we need native compilation for the i-phone and probably the i-pad).

Apple marketing summed up perfectly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF-qX72om5w

Anyway, FB 4 has been released and it is there for us to pull apart and get ready to hit jira with the requests for what we feel got left out, i'm just wondering what gets included in the 1.2gb licensed download(I will know as soon as I grab it later tonight,damn peak/offpeak isp issues).

I am just hanging out for Flex slider which I think will be the first step in the Flashbuilder mobile arsenal, another thing to note is AIR for android, this looks interesting.

David.

• 16. Re: iPhone / iPad Export

Well, I'm very happy to see Flash Builder 4 has finally breached the soil and moved into the light. I don't think I speak only for myself when I applaud Adobe for putting together this outstanding product.

Jason Villmer

villmer@lucid.it

www.lucid.it

I would still like to see that iPad / iPhone export support added though. I was definitely hoping it would have made it in for the formal release. Is there a way to offer that as an extension to the formal release?