• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After compiling, I can't see the (new) topic...

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2010 Mar 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RH 8 HTML, I use WebHelp as my primary layout on Windows XP.

I created a new topic, saved it, compiled it, but then I can't see it on the topics list on the left once I've generated my project.  What's going on?  Can someone please help me?

Thank you.

(Font used in all topics: Verdana)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a new topic does not automatically add it to the TOC, you have to do that. RH cannot know whether or not you want a topic in the TOC.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thanks.  Please forgive me, it's been a loooong while since I've done this.  Most of the time I'm just updating existing topics, and I did try to manually add this, and I tried to find the answer here on the forums, but I did not.  Could you please tell me how to do this?  Also, is there a way to automatically get the topics added whenever I create a new one?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just drag the topic from the topic list to where you want it in the TOC.

You cannot get RH to auto add new topics but you can autogenerate a complete TOC by right clicking in the TOC editor. It might not be structured how you want it though.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter.  I just started using this new version (RH8) and it is soooo confusing.  I see my topic on my "Topic List", but I don't know where you're asking me to drag it to.  I don't see any other window where I can do this.  Thanks for your help, but, is there a page you can reference so I can read more about this?  Thank you again for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The online help.

Double click the TOC in Project Manager and it will open a new pod. Drag the topic from the topic list to where you want it in the TOC.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter I just figured it out.  Like I said, this thing is so confusing. I didn't have the Project Manager, but, after clicking many buttons, I got it.  From then on I figured it out.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2010 Apr 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Webhelp Pro?

Is you Webhelp output file in the same folder as your work files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2010 Apr 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is that relative to this resolved thread?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2010 Apr 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to know if he/she was using webhelp or webhelp pro because I needed to know how they were set up.

If he/she had webhelp pro my next question was going to be was the webhelp pro in a separate folder than the source files.

He/she never answered back so late friday I split my Webpro folder from my source files and it solved my problem of the time it was taking me to publish to my web site. I wanted to my question about webpro to a person where there problem had been resolved.

If this broke some type of protocol, I'm sorry.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2010 Apr 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You haven't broken any protocol. My point was that this thread is about a topic not appearing and that has been resolved.

I could not see a link between that and your question and I still cannot. You seem to have been having a problem with the time taken to publish, nothing to do with a specific topic not getting published.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp