• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Server busy" error when importing a Word document

Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I downloaded RH8 trial version. When I try to import a Word document (that RH7 imports with no problem", I get a

This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'Switch To' error message.

It opens the Windows start menu but I can't really switch to anything.

The Word file is not open.

I asked someone else to download and try the same thing and they got the same result.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Is there a patch that fixes it? Known problems with specific features in Word?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a copy of RoboHelp 8.0.1.204, and I get the following error message when I import a Word document into RoboHelp HTML:

"This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to action the busy program and correct the problem.

I know that this file can be imported into RoboHelp 5 with no problems.

To get round the error message with RoboHelp 8, I wait a few minutes thn click 'Cancel' and continue to wait and click Cancel until it eventually imports the document.

This gets the Word file imported, but I too would like to know if there was a fix for this as it is extremely annoying and takes ages to import even a small document.

I have also noticed that it is extremely slow when selecting the import options.

Margaret

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I no longer get this error.

I now have a new PC (slightly better spec than before) and I have updated RoboHelp to 8.0.2.208.

But - it still takes ages to import a large document and at times will stop during the process and I have to start again.

It's possible to split the document, and then each part will import a bit quicker, but then you end up with errors if you have any cross references that link from one section of the document to another.

Margaret

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2010 Mar 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there no other solutions to this problem?

there seems to be some workarounds on the internet like this one here but im wondering if it really works?

http://blogs.msdn.com/michalma/archive/2008/04/03/msscci-with-robohelp.aspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2010 Mar 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solution looks to be specific to that application.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to this problem but have you tried something as simple as a reboot? Any difference if you copy the document to your hard drive and then import?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reboot hasn't helped and we've seen the same on several different computers.

I'm surprised RH/Adobe people don't provide ansers here - we won't upgrade to RH as long as we can't import Word documents...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if there are problems converting from Word as a source, its hard to propose for an upgrade to RH8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i've rebooted my machine and also updated with the latest 8.0.2 patch. im currently testing with the trail version of RH8.

it finally loaded after an hour or so, my doc file is around 20MB in size.

now my problem is that the CPU usage is at maximum when i tried to edit with the WYSIWYG editor.

is this due to the large size of my file or my computer specs?

Im using a Pentium 4 3GHz, 2.5 GB of RAM and WinXP SP2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RZ1

Adobe don't provide answers here as this is a user to user forum. You need to contact Technical Support if you want Adobe to assist.

KENNYYAP

20mb is a pretty big document but it still seems way too long a time and the wrong response. Could you try splitting the document into smaller chunks and importing those into a new project, just to test?

Meantime, I'll see if I can find out more but time zones will preclude a quick answer.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I make other enquiries, please advise whether copying the doc file to the local drive first makes any difference.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a normal problem or there would be more posts here about it. I'm trying to help you resolve it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I copied the file locally at all times.

They are not small (from 200 to 400 pages) and include images.

In RH7 they import without a problem.

Either there was some sort of internal change and they now don't support or have a bug with a Word feature or formatting we use, or graphics (most of them PNG), or I don't have other ideas.

If I create a new small document I can import it.

Any ideas? In any case, my trial period ended so I need to find another computer on which I can test if there are other ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. Yes all files are local. I've tested with a smaller file and the problem did not exist.

I was wondering if there is a feature to automatically create topics for each heading from a doc file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RZ1

Please see the Snippet about importing. Maybe the fact that you are using PNGs is relevant.

KENNYYAP

Yes. See the RoboHelp Tour on my site. You need to go to Project Settings and set up the styles that will be used to start new topics, you need to check Pagination for each style you want used.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The “Server Busy” dialog comes sometime when MS Word takes more time to open. This problem can be solved by explicitly opening the MS Word application before starting the Word file import.

Please do let me know whether this helps in resolving this issue or not.

Thanks and regards,

Piyush Bhatnagar

Adobe Technical Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having the same problem when I try to import a Word document that had been previously converted from FrameMaker - and contains many tables originated in FrameMaker.

I've tried the following before importing a Word doc into RoboHelp 8 HTML:

• Having the Word document I'm trying to import open.
  • Having Word open but not the document.
  • Not having Word open and opening Word by selecting "Switch to" on the "Server busy" error popup.
  • Not having Word open and opening Word by selecting "Switch to" then opening the document I'm trying to import.
  • Having the Word document open and opening Word by selecting "Switch to".
  • Having Word open but not the document and opening Word by selecting "Switch to" on the "Server Busy" error popup.
  • Selecting "Retry" in all of the above attempts.
  • I have done all the above after doing the following in System Configuration Utility (run - msconfig):
    • on the Services tab, hid all MS services and only selected FLEXnet
    • on the Startup tab, disabled all items

When I first began using RoboHelp 8, I was unable to import any Word documents until I did the last bullet item above. Although I think don't think highly of that "fix" because I have to manually open my Doc Apps.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Lydia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
      community guidelines
      May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the same problem while importing a Word document of almost 28MB. It gave me the same message. The solution is wait for 5-10 mins on the same screen without clicking on any button. Since your Word file is large, RH takes time to import... After waiting for 5-10  mins, click on "Retry" button. The file gets imported properly...May be this may be a flaw in RH, but it definitely worked for me..Please try this and reply back.

Shailendra Kulkarni,

Mumbai,

India..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
      community guidelines
      New Here ,
      Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I had the having the same problem, and I'm running RH9. Like Shailendra said, you just have to wait. The conversion process is very slow. Overall, it took about 30 minutes to import a 28MB Word doc. When the Server Busy message displays, wait 5-10 minutes before clicking Retry. Then take a coffee break because it will take about 15-20 minutes for RH to convert and import the document.

Dirk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
      community guidelines
      Resources
      RoboHelp Documentation
      Download Adobe RoboHelp